• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Scotland, Murrayfield, Sun 30th Oct, 3.30am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not really a surprise, but Hooper will start against Scotland…
Slim, without the captaincy I suspect his game will improve. It did when he came back from Japan for the tahs. I would suggest he should not be captain again, don't think it's good for him in more than one way.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Still cant quite wrap my head around Dempsey, a 14 test Wallaby who grew up in Sydney, playing for a higher ranked team.

Is Test rugby just club rugby with weird selection rules now?

With every passing development in this clusterfuckle of a sport my interest dwindles.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Slim, without the captaincy I suspect his game will improve. It did when he came back from Japan for the tahs. I would suggest he should not be captain again, don't think it's good for him in more than one way.

It's interesting because I don't think the Wallabies have any long term captain candidates currently in their midst, well at least not on this tour. I imagine Hooper will have some opportunity as captain when/if Slipper comes off the field at times.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Still cant quite wrap my head around Dempsey, a 14 test Wallaby who grew up in Sydney, playing for a higher ranked team.

Is Test rugby just club rugby with weird selection rules now?

With every passing development in this clusterfuckle of a sport my interest dwindles.
It's not like Dempsey ran out for the Wallabies against Scotland in 2021 and has now jumped ship.

He wasn't good enough to crack the side for over 2 years, he likely wouldn't be in consideration for this current squad with the depth we have at backrow (I'm talking pre-injuries).

The simple fact is Australia don't have the resources to keep all our players onshore and on our radars. He's taken the opportunity presented to him and it's unfortunate for Australian rugby, but great for Dempsey.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's not like Dempsey ran out for the Wallabies against Scotland in 2021 and has now jumped ship.

He wasn't good enough to crack the side for over 2 years, he likely wouldn't be in consideration for this current squad with the depth we have at backrow (I'm talking pre-injuries).

The simple fact is Australia don't have the resources to keep all our players onshore and on our radars. He's taken the opportunity presented to him and it's unfortunate for Australian rugby, but great for Dempsey.
Yeah great - but hes Australian. Is this a club game or test rugby?

Concocting some eligibility fuckery before representing a national side is one thing - but after 14 tests?

Diminishes the whole thing. Actively makes it less interesting.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

I fully understand your point of view. Rugby is quite unique where the flagship product is the international game.

If you look at all of our competitors e.g. NRL and AFL and all the other 'big market' team sports, NBA, NFL, Football. Their flagship products are usually the club competitions. A lot of NRL players for example would be more excited to win SOO or the NRL Premiership than a RLWC. In those competitions, player movement happens a lot because players want to be paid the most money they can.

Unfortunately for rugby, part of that financial opportunity is getting yourself into a national team in a Tier 1 nation to get those match payments.

World Rugby have put guidelines in place for which countries players are eligible to play for and Dempsey has followed those guidelines. There are a lot of 'naturalised' Aussie's who've gone to play for Japan for example who don't have any ancestral history. But we don't get upset with them.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's interesting because I don't think the Wallabies have any long term captain candidates currently in their midst, well at least not on this tour. I imagine Hooper will have some opportunity as captain when/if Slipper comes off the field at times.

I would've gone with AAA over Slipper...

He's going to play 70+ mins most games, and leads by example... and is in pretty good form recently.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Post Hooper, McRight will be captain assuming he can hold his position. The other option assuming he can make it into the team regularly is Liam Wright. Interested if others can see captaincy potential in other players?
Two assumptions there and as I have said before "Assumptions are the standpoints of Fools" not making a standpoint is my only excuse.

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would've gone with AAA over Slipper...

He's going to play 70+ mins most games, and leads by example... and is in pretty good form recently.
Slim captain Grumpy was not our best option before and prefer Slipper over him. I suspect I am like you and prefer someone from 1-9 as captain?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

Concocting some eligibility fuckery before representing a national side is one thing - but after 14 tests?

Diminishes the whole thing. Actively makes it less interesting.
Derpus: I understand your attitude and sympathise with it. I bet he goes well against us. He is eligible under the current rules due to family.

Question, If you were not wanted by your country and had the opportunity would you turn it down?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Whilst I sympathise with the angst felt towards losing players to other tier 1 nations, I'm not sure how it makes the game less interesting.

This is the natural evolution of the sport, rugby is struggling for market share, the best players need to be playing the game at the highest level. If anything, these types of matchups could turn into a promotors dream. Imagine if Dempsey was ever made captain of Scotland.

"Past Wallaby not wanted by his country to captain Scotland against the Aussie's in RWC Semi-Final"

That shit sells tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.