• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Scotland, Murrayfield, Sun 30th Oct, 3.30am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Imperatives for me would be to ensure Noah Lolesio gets as much game time as possible in the lead up to the RWC, to bring injured players back and overseas-based players introduced via the bench, to play the strongest halves combination available, and to give opportunity to those who are showing development in their games to see where they stand.

So, in addition to Noah being on the bench initially, I would have Michael Hooper return from the bench, Skelton (when available) come off the bench, Nic White starting at No 9 and Mark Nawaqanitawase, Jock Campbell, Lachlan Lonergan, Tate McDermott and maybe Dillon Pietsch all get game time on the tour.

My side for the first test would be:

Slipper, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Neville, Frost, Holloway, Samu, Valetini, White, Foley, Kellaway, Foketi, Ikitau, Wright, Banks.
Reserves - Porecki, Gibbon, Tupou, Hanigan, McReight/Hooper, McDermott, Lolesio, Hodge.

I would be looking, possibly at Italy, for opportunity to start Noah, Tate, Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) and Jock Campbell with one of Hooper or McReight also to start and the other on the bench. Lachlan Lonergan to also get time off the bench.

I would be content with two wins on tour, satisfied with three, and over the moon with 4 as that would mean at least one of France or Ireland. This last bit too much to hope for I suspect.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Hoping for this:

1. Slipper (c)
2. Porecki
3. AAA
4. Frost
5. Neville
6. Gleeson (Throw him into the fire, if he's struggling, get Samu on early)
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. McDermott
10. Foley
11. Nawaqanitawase
12. Foketi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Banks

16. Fainga'a
17. Gibbon
18. Tupou
19. Holloway
20. Samu
21. White
22. Hodge
23. Petaia

I simply dont get why ppl are saying bench Samu, he's prob going to win the John Eales medal.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I simply dont get why ppl are saying bench Samu, he's prob going to win the John Eales medal.
Lol what, wouldn't even come top 7.

He'll poll zero in matches he didn't start. He's started 3 matches in the period I think and 1 he won't poll anything (Wales).

Last edited:

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
probably in a text message from one of his wallaby mates, he often has very accurate inside mail
haha my Wallaby mate is sadly in a moon boot in rehab so no goss for me. I just saw it on twitter, I think Drew Mitchell mentioned it.

edit: now it looks like that wasn't any inside knowledge from Drew, just what he thinks should happen.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Imperatives for me would be to ensure Noah Lolesio gets as much game time as possible in the lead up to the RWC, to bring injured players back and overseas-based players introduced via the bench, to play the strongest halves combination available, and to give opportunity to those who are showing development in their games to see where they stand.

So, in addition to Noah being on the bench initially, I would have Michael Hooper return from the bench, Skelton (when available) come off the bench, Nic White starting at No 9 and Mark Nawaqanitawase, Jock Campbell, Lachlan Lonergan, Tate McDermott and maybe Dillon Pietsch all get game time on the tour.

My side for the first test would be:

Slipper, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Neville, Frost, Holloway, Samu, Valetini, White, Foley, Kellaway, Foketi, Ikitau, Wright, Banks.
Reserves - Porecki, Gibbon, Tupou, Hanigan, McReight/Hooper, McDermott, Lolesio, Hodge.

I would be looking, possibly at Italy, for opportunity to start Noah, Tate, Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) and Jock Campbell with one of Hooper or McReight also to start and the other on the bench. Lachlan Lonergan to also get time off the bench.

I would be content with two wins on tour, satisfied with three, and over the moon with 4 as that would mean at least one of France or Ireland. This last bit too much to hope for I suspect.
I like the team very much although I would start Porecki and Fainga'a to bench. I'm no fan of Foley but understand the thinking behind it.
I want Lolesio and Donaldson to get plenty of time on this tour, if our injury curse continues we could be without an experienced 10 for the RWC.
P.S. I don't like the idea that we are betting on Cooper returning and pretty much daylight behind him.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I like the team very much although I would start Porecki and Fainga'a to bench. I'm no fan of Foley but understand the thinking behind it.
I want Lolesio and Donaldson to get plenty of time on this tour, if our injury curse continues we could be without an experienced 10 for the RWC.
P.S. I don't like the idea that we are betting on Cooper returning and pretty much daylight behind him.

I am not sure that is the case. Rennie didn't have Cooper as his starting 10 option from the outset, if you recall, he was originally brought into the squad as a training only member and managed to force his way into the side. I doubt Rennie now see's him as the only saviour at flyhalf when he wasn't fully fit at all this year and is coming back from a major injury.

At this stage, I think it's between Foley, Noah and Donaldson to lock down the flyhalf spot for 2023, that'll be determined by this tour and their club form next year. I can't see both Foley and QC (Quade Cooper) going to the RWC so I think it's Foley's spot on the plane to lose at this point.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think that with our shortage of locks and backrowers this weekend, there's a reasonable chance Samu starts at 6...

Probably shifts back to the bench the following week with Holloway at 6 to accommodate Skelton in the row.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Samu at 6 is where I'd expect Rennie to go, assuming Hoops comes straight back in at openside. I actually don't mind those two with Bobby V as a back row. It's mobile and should be decent at the breakdown too.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I think that with our shortage of locks and backrowers this weekend, there's a reasonable chance Samu starts at 6...

Probably shifts back to the bench the following week with Holloway at 6 to accommodate Skelton in the row.

Yes, I agree when Skelton starts next week they will have to play Holloway or Hanigan at 6. If they are going to try the smaller backrow with Hooper/Samu/Valetini then this is the week to do it.

I am not as negative about Hanigan as a lot of posters, I never used to rate him either but I think he has improved and gives us more options in the lineout.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am not sure that is the case. Rennie didn't have Cooper as his starting 10 option from the outset, if you recall, he was originally brought into the squad as a training only member and managed to force his way into the side. I doubt Rennie now see's him as the only saviour at flyhalf when he wasn't fully fit at all this year and is coming back from a major injury.

At this stage, I think it's between Foley, Noah and Donaldson to lock down the flyhalf spot for 2023, that'll be determined by this tour and their club form next year. I can't see both Foley and QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) going to the RWC so I think it's Foley's spot on the plane to lose at this point.
Phil, if Noah and Donalson cannot eclipse Foley by the end of next year then our 10 woes are getting bigger.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Samu at 6 is where I'd expect Rennie to go, assuming Hoops comes straight back in at openside. I actually don't mind those two with Bobby V as a back row. It's mobile and should be decent at the breakdown too.
Given Rennie's history I think he will bring Hooper back from the bench. Which suggests this week could be Samu 7, Bobby V 8 and Holloway at 6 to cover lock injuries, Hanigan on the bench?
Personally I would start McRight in this game as I think we will need his support and breakdown work. Then you get another fast 7 in Hooper to finish the game and add some advice if it is on an edge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.