• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Scotland, Murrayfield, Sun 30th Oct, 3.30am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Still quite don't get how he couldn't just kick it out. My understandings is that short arms end the game, long arms keep it going. Might be a bit simplistic tho.
It's always been a thing, you can't deliberately do a not-straight throw either to end a match. Same as a restart.

Can't end a match on a scrum free-kick either.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Still quite don't get how he couldn't just kick it out. My understandings is that short arms end the game, long arms keep it going. Might be a bit simplistic tho.

Law 5.7.a

A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless:

A scrum, lineout or restart kick following a try or touchdown, awarded before time expired, has not been completed and the ball has not returned to open play. This includes when the scrum, lineout or restart kick is taken incorrectly.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Gee our attack has been clunky for the past three or four games, hasn't it?

The Wallabies attack seems to be based purely on physicality and some key ball- runners/ battering rams. The problem with this approach is its entirely reliant on either Kerevi or Valetini having strong games- which is unfair to be expected of them in every single game, especially as other teams can focus their numbers and attention.

We haven't looked consistently threatening or played with good shape since Quade was injured earlier in the year and the way Foley's playing hasn't helped in that regard - his running game seems to have regressed and he's happy to shovel the pill or just kick aimlessly. In fairness to him, his goal kicking is consistent and at least he runs on to the ball at flyhalf.

No easy answers.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
brilliantly exectuted. Smart? The ref had to tell him 2 or 3 times before he did it that he couldn't kick it straight out.
He knew what he was doing, just like when he spoke to the ref about Paisami's card, and said there was cover. He played the back end of the game really well and injected speed into the game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well, that was the rocks and diamonds we've almost come to expect from the Wallabies.

First 10 minutes we looked pretty slick in attack - lot of good movement off the ball and reasonably accurate passing to depth runners. We held the ball for phases and put the Scots under a lot of pressure. McDermott prominent here.

I'm not sure how AR Karl Dickson finds fault with our scrum around the 10 minute mark. We nudge them back, then the Scots hooker pops up under pressure before their loosehead (elbow down the whole time) bores in to try and rescue the situation.

Pearce looked to be about to reset the scrum, which would have been more appropriate, but then got the call from Dickson who, if I'm not mistaken was on the opposite side of the scrum to Slipper. This whole episode just smacks of wanting to get involved. The ref was clearly in a better position than the ER to see the full picture and he should have the balls to ignore the AR in those circumstances.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
BR I think your quoting has gone awry there but I believe you're right: it is Scots feed, running right to left. Pearce is standing on their TH side so AR is watching the feed and post-feed action.

He's about to call the reset but then gets a call from AR and it I can hear "popped first" and "another offence" which I assume is Hollway unbinding as Scotland spin in a circle.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Another thought I should add: wouldn't Paisami be so much better if he just tackled people rather than trying to kill them every time?

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Another thought I should add: wouldn't Paisami be so much better if he just tackled people rather than trying to kill them every time?

Paisami isn't a 12.

Jim McKay the Reds attack coach understands this, Rennie does not.

All of his best performances have been in the 13 jersey - Adelaide, etc..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Paisami isn't a 12.

Jim McKay the Reds attack coach understands this, Rennie does not.

All of his best performances have been in the 13 jersey - Adelaide, etc..

The Adelaide test this year against South Africa?

The one where Ikitau played 13 as he has in just about every test this year.

Paisami played 13 in the second and third tests against England which are the only games Ikitau hasn't worn the 13 jersey this season as far as I can work out.

Ikitau has been one of our most consistent players so if Paisami needs to play 13 he's not going to be in the side. Personally I'd be giving Foketi a crack at 12 next week.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Gee our attack has been clunky for the past three or four games, hasn't it?

The Wallabies attack seems to be based purely on physicality and some key ball- runners/ battering rams. The problem with this approach is its entirely reliant on either Kerevi or Valetini having strong games- which is unfair to be expected of them in every single game, especially as other teams can focus their numbers and attention.

We haven't looked consistently threatening or played with good shape since Quade was injured earlier in the year and the way Foley's playing hasn't helped in that regard - his running game seems to have regressed and he's happy to shovel the pill or just kick aimlessly. In fairness to him, his goal kicking is consistent and at least he runs on to the ball at flyhalf.

No easy answers.

Great post, summed up perfectly.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The Adelaide test this year against South Africa?

The one where Ikitau played 13 as he has in just about every test this year.

Paisami played 13 in the second and third tests against England which are the only games Ikitau hasn't worn the 13 jersey this season as far as I can work out.

Ikitau has been one of our most consistent players so if Paisami needs to play 13 he's not going to be in the side. Personally I'd be giving Foketi a crack at 12 next week.

I like Paisami but his impact is limited at test level. He tries to play like a crash baller but doesn't have to size for it. He has a habit of over-doing the grubber kick. Foketi has more size and better footwork, I think he is much more effective at threatening the line. Surely he comes into the squad.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)

I would prefer to see Foketi at 12 as well. I don't rate Paisami at test-level, all I'm saying is that he isn't as effective at 12 vs 13. The Reds backline always functioned better with Hamish Stewart or Issac Henry at 12, Paisami 13.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I like Paisami but his impact is limited at test level. He tries to play like a crash baller but doesn't have to size for it.

How did he get so over-rated in the first place? I distinctly think back to those Bledisoe tests last year, where he appeared so ineffective & lightweight at test level that he made his opposite 12 (Havili) look like Damien De Allende in comparison.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
How did he get so over-rated in the first place? I distinctly think back to those Bledisoe tests last year, he appeared so ineffective & lightweight at test level, that he made his opposite 12 (David Havili) look like Damien De Allende in comparison.
He's not overrated. He's last man standing. Kerevi is unavailable. Simone is gone. Foketi is just back from injury, originally not slated to tour because of his shoulder. No one on the forums is saying Paisami is the saviour of the Wallabies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He's not overrated. He's last man standing. Kerevi is unavailable. Simone is gone. Foketi is just back from injury, originally not slated to tour because of his shoulder. No one on the forums is saying Paisami is the saviour of the Wallabies.

No one is saying he should oust Kerevi but I'd suggest that he edges Foketi. I'd give it to Simone but there isn't much in it.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)

Issac Henry, Irae Simone, Chris Feauai-Sautia, Joey Walton, Iziaia Perese

to name a few, are all superior options IMO & Simone's currently still eligible for selection.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Issac Henry, Irae Simone, Chris Feauai-Sautia, Joey Walton, Iziaia Perese

to name a few, are all superior options & Simone's currently still eligible for selection

Perese is out, Simone is not so clearly above to warrant an OS selection. Walton, CFS and Henry are not better than him. Agree to disagree.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Perese is out, Simone is not so clearly above to warrant an OS selection. Walton, CFS and Henry are not better than him. Agree to disagree.

I thought Simone (like Banks) wouldn't count as OS selection for EOYT as they were both playing in Super Rugby 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.