• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
That Bokke line up is class. Can't understand why the Wallabies are the favourites.

Springboks by 10.

The wallabies look strong too, plus are playing at home and had overall more successful super xv campaigns. Close favourite IMO.

I have to say without Vermulan the backrow isn't as intimidating. Solid,but so is ours.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like that Bok 10-12-13. Has high IQ, speed and physicality. The problem will be whether Ruan's more laboured approach will provide quick ball for them to use.

On the Wallaby starting team, like Barbarian I think there will be different 6/7/8 and 9/10/12 combos tried over the next few weeks.

A little surprised to not see Tomane in there.

Looking forward to this test match.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I like that Bok 10-12-13. Has high IQ, speed and physicality. The problem will be whether Ruan's more laboured approach will provide quick ball for them to use.

On the Wallaby starting team, like Barbarian I think there will be different 6/7/8 and 9/10/12 combos tried over the next few weeks.

A little surprised to not see Tomane in there.

Looking forward to this test match.

Is the Bok 10-12-13 great defenders though? De Allende seems to have a reputation of being easily exposed. Gits and Cooper should be able to do this.

On the other side, Whilst Gits and Cooper are solid defenders they are far from dominating so the Boks could certainly make damage too.

I'm expecting a great attacking game from both sides.

However If Cooper/Gits is successful, I'm afraid it might also give us a false sense of reality once the All Blacks game comes around since they won't have the same defensive issues the Boks may have.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
@RugbyReg has just put up an article that this is our starting XV:

Wallabies-v-Boks.jpg

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/?p=83341

Where's Poey??? :eek::eek::eek:

Well, the positive side of Hooper as starter? He knows that Poey is better than him. So he will have to play a perfect game

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Just saw that the Gold Brigade have sold out the GOLD MINE.

Ticket sales must have increased since GAGR posted the team.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Bench will be very interesting. A 6:2 with Poey and McCalman means leaving Foley out which I doubt will happen. KB (Kurtley Beale) would be the man most likely if that occurs as they really need wing/FB cover with that XV.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I reckon they are resting McCalman (fractured jaw) and To'omua (dicky ankle) this week entirely. Which isn't to say there isn't merit involved in the selections, but Cheika said some will be rested and others will get an opportunity (Giteau & Higgers).

As much as people find it difficult to fathom, if it's a 6:2 bench Kurtley will get the #23 gig. I don't think it will be now though with that back row and Oupa on the bench.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
That Wallaby backline looks noticeably slow to me. 9, 10, 11, 12 and 14 all used to be quick but haven't been recently.13 and 15 are explosive but both lack top end gas. Mitchell and Tomane on the wings seems more balanced. It's something other teams will be aware of.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Are u a Saffer?

Not at all.

But I can take off the gold tinted glasses and see that we're starting: a scrum half who has been in constant decline for the past couple years, a fly half who has had very little game experience this year and an inside centre whose last southern hemisphere form saw him dropped from the 2011 RWC squad.

To compound this issue is that, as the Brown Hornet posted above, that's the best looking Bokke backline in recent years. They finally have an imaginative 10 in Pollard who will be feeding his extremely quick backs slick ball and if Giteau's defence hasn't improved significantly, de Allende will have a field day running over the top of him.

Lastly, from 1-8 the Springbok ooze aggression and physicality unmatched by our piggies.

They are 2nd in the rankings, we're 6th.

Come Saturday night I'll be screaming at the tv in support of the Wallabies, hoping with every fibre of my body that they'll win. I just don't reckon we should be the favourites.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why don't we wait for the press conference tomorrow to find out if Cheika selected his best team or testing the waters.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I know it's off-topic but my ideal backline (all fit and firing) would be Genia, Cooper, Tomane, Giteau, Kuridrani, Speight, Folau.

The forwards seem fine to me, although I'd personally be starting Pocock. It might be like the old TPN-Moore combo, where which one starts depends on what kind of impact is desired. It seems that in this case the intention is to run them round.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting choice in Damian de Allende for the Boks @12, misses more tackles than Beale

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Bok loosies worry me. Schalk has never started a pro game at 8 (although if anyone has enough rugby brain to make the switch it will be him). F Louw looked so slow lat week. Battled all season for Bath with injury and poor form. Coetzee did it all last week against the World XV.

Good to see De Jager is back. That is the quickest bok 10-15 in a very, very long time.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is it de Allende or Kriel that are making way for JdV? Does this mean Pienaar is the first choice 9?

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Have the Wallabies always announced their team on a Thursday or is this a new ploy in hopes of seeing the opponents' choice or rock-paper-scissors and selecting accordingly. If this is new, it would be mighty embarrassing should they not win.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Is it de Allende or Kriel that are making way for JdV? Does this mean Pienaar is the first choice 9?

Kriel will fall away to make room for JdV at 13. The question for me is, do you keep Pollard's errant boot on the field, do you drop him for Lambie? I wouldnt put Lambie on at 15 just for the boot.

Would it be so bad to let Pienaar take the kicks? This way you can keep Pollard at 10. People still singing the praises of FdP but we havnt seen him play in a while now. If we go Fdp,Pollard, 15 le Roux, we wont have a solid 80%+ kicker for the WC.. All world cups have been won off of a solid place kicking performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.