• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Just goes to show that I don't know much and it's just as well I'm not a selector.

I thought it would be risky playing Hooper and Higgers together, and expected the combos to be Pocock/Higgers and Hooper/McCalman.

I also thought the best combo we've had at 10/12 in many a year was Cooper/To'omua. But what do I know?

And if De Allende has a problem with his defense on the inside shoulder, I thought a straight running No 12 opposite him would be the way to go. Matt Giteau will undoubtedly try to beat him on the outside so it will be interesting to see how this particular match up pans out.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
A lot of experience in that backline compared with that South African counterparts, as well as a settled 1-8.

If the coaches have done their homework, I can see that midfield pairing of De Allende and Kriel being targeted and forced into making plenty of decisions in defence.

I am worried about that Bok backrow though. Coetzee and Louw snaffled a lot of ball against the World XV last week so can see all three really honing in on defensive breakdowns.

Can also see the Boks tactical kicking putting us under pressure, especially when Horne and Cooper/Giteau switch around on defence.

The substitute forwards are the big question for me though. Will very well hold the key to victory.

Wallabies by 4.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Qwerty, you need to an emoticon or something to let everyone know when you're being sarcastic.............

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Qwerty, you need to an emoticon or something to let everyone know when you're being sarcastic.....

No mate it's true. Do people just ignore that Cheika is the coach? He's going to play the style that he plays at the Tahs, we saw that on the EOYT. He likes ball runners. Fardy and Pocock are the two worst backrowers at ball running, he won't pair them. It's clear he's pairing Fardy (breakdown, slow the ball) with the Hooper the ball runner.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
In the current squad no?
Its about Balance, Fardy at the ruck Higgers running, and Hooper everywhere... as much as we see him as a runner Hooper hits rucks as well and makes tackles his good in tight, obviously not as good as Poey .. but who is..

We will see tandem destruction of teams with Poey and Hooper.. it will be beautiful who puts in the better half..

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
And if De Allende has a problem with his defense on the inside shoulder, I thought a straight running No 12 opposite him would be the way to go. Matt Giteau will undoubtedly try to beat him on the outside so it will be interesting to see how this particular match up pans out.

Inside ball. We're playing a pair of crash ball wingers.

Anyway, it's more about testing combinations than it is scheming to beat South Africa/NZ in TRC.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
No mate it's true. Do people just ignore that Cheika is the coach? He's going to play the style that he plays at the Tahs, we saw that on the EOYT. He likes ball runners. Fardy and Pocock are the two worst backrowers at ball running, he won't pair them. It's clear he's pairing Fardy (breakdown, slow the ball) with the Hooper the ball runner.

So Higginbotham/Pococok is the bet combo 6/7

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
He generally plays wing these days and is bloody good at it. In my very limited experience a few of the SA commentators have mentioned during S15 games that wing is where he should be played now exclusively as he has found his position.
I have no idea if that is the general consensus amongst SA rugby fans but I'm a bit like you, he always worried me at 9.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Like the Brumbies suffered all year with that combo.;)

It may have been overstated, but neither would describe their core skill as ball running, and the Brumbies were not exactly a team known for running the ball this year.

Which is a shame, when they did they looked quite good

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Just goes to show that I don't know much and it's just as well I'm not a selector.

I thought it would be risky playing Hooper and Higgers together, and expected the combos to be Pocock/Higgers and Hooper/McCalman.

I also thought the best combo we've had at 10/12 in many a year was Cooper/To'omua. But what do I know?
I don't know much either then.
I'd have Hooper or Pocock in my side.
I'd have Higgers or MaCalman in my side.
I rate each of the above equally in their respective positions, I'm not putting one above the other. The starter is subject to executing the game plan against the opposition.

Same as To'omua, but i havent seen Gits for a while.

Cant wait to see the game plan now, looks like we want to win scoring meat pies though.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

I also thought the best combo we've had at 10/12 in many a year was Cooper/To'omua. But what do I know?.

Yeah, that reads a bit like sour grapes BR. As qwerty said yesterday, lets wait till the 10am presser before we jump to too many conclusions. It was made pointedly clear that these two games were going to be uses to rest some players and try out combos.

Personally I think that To'omua has been chosen to rest this week to give his ankle another week.

As for the back row, we could see the other back row tested in it's entirety next week i.e. 6. McMahon 7. Pocock 8. McCalman with perhaps Arnold starting in place of Skelton.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
just out of interest, why isn't Francois Hougaard valued higher as a 9? As an aussie, ive always been a bit worried by him
There is general consensus that he is not a test level scum half. A good stop gap, and possible even offers a luxury of not having another 9 on the bench, but his kicking game is the real issue that lets him down. It's been four years to try and improve his game at 9 and it has not worked.

I still think he is the perfect bench impact player and cannot fathom how Meyer picks Reinach ahead of him. And he is a better option on the wing than JPP who has not played a decent game of rugby in two years.

The reality is that I think he is goign to go overseas if he is left on the outer and we will never see him in a Bok jumper again,

Status
Not open for further replies.