• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Boks are going with Burger, Coetzee and Louw backrow. I wonder if this forces Cheika to use Pocock and Hooper?

T

Train Without a Station

Boks are going with Burger, Coetzee and Louw backrow. I wonder if this forces Cheika to use Pocock and Hooper?

You could say that but it ignores the fact that these players are much more rounded than Hooper and Pocock.

Louw is 190cm and 112kg
Coetzee is 191cm and 112kg
Burger is 193cm and 114kg

Pocock is 183cm and 105kg. Or his stats are correct and he's grown 4cm since 2011.
Hooper is 182cm and 101kg.

No matter what configuration you use, these guys are about 3 inches taller at least so better line out options and adding significant size in the scrum. They cover the ground and work at the breakdown like Pocock, whilst still being the same size as most international 6 and 8s.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not sure that it forces it, but it makes it more palatable. If you've got Skelton, Simmons and either McCalman or Higginbotham out there, plus some tall timber on the bench..

Need to be careful with the Boks though, he's likely to announce that and then scratch Coetzee for Alberts on the day or something..

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bokke:

15 Willie le Roux
14 JP Pietersen
13 Jesse Kriel
12 Damian de Allende
11 Bryan Habana
10 Handré Pollard
9 Ruan Pienaar
8 Schalk Burger
7 Marcell Coetzee
6 Francois Louw
5 Victor Matfield
4 Eben Etzebeth
3 Jannie du Plessis
2 Bismarck du Plessis
1 Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements:
16 Adriaan Strauss
17 Heinke van der Merwe
18 Frans Malherbe
19 Lood de Jager
20 Oupa Mohoje
21 Cobus Reinach
22 Pat Lambie
23 Lwazi Mvovo

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
If hooper and Pocock is under consideration this is the game to test it. SA offers the most similar game to England and while it working here doesn't mean it will definitely work against England, if it fails it'll be a pretty good indicator that something different will be necessary for England.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
@RugbyReg has just put up an article that this is our starting XV:

Wallabies-v-Boks.jpg

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/?p=83341

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I like that side, my only change would have been Pocock as I think he truly scares the boks, which would free up other players and create gaps.

Looking forward to this one!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That looks like more or less the best forward pack, just the 7 & 8 with questions over it.

13-15 more or less the best, 9-12 more unsure of.

Bench will be interesting.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Obviously Cheika is going to experiment a bit, so it's hard to read too much into this. I like what I see though, and this team is going to be great to watch.

Think we'll see some chopping and changing in the back row and inside backs.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper over Pocock is interesting as well as Genia over Phipps.
Gits is a good choice over To'omua indicating an attacking game is on the cards.
Fardy certainly deserves the 6 spot and Higgers as well.
Good to see Horne get rewarded for his season so far.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm happy with the team. Of coarse I would like to see Pocock over Hooper but I'm sure Pocock will get his chance to prove his worth and Hooper is the next best thing. (I'm sure Cheika is saving Poey for the AB's anyway ;))

Interested to see how Higgers and Hooper combine. Hopefully they adapt and both aren't playing too loose.

Horne over Tomane must have been a hard choice but Horne deserves his shot for a more consistent season.

I hope the following is true:
Genia of old is back
Cooper of new is fit and firing
Gits is still up to Test standard and still has his skills minus the crabbing.

I think there is a good possibility of all of the above. Can't wait.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would've rather seen Mitchell and tomane on the wings. It'll be interesting to see who makes the bench, I imagine it'll be a 6-2 split with phipps and Foley as the backs. Not ready to see kurtley in gold again yet.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hopefully Giteau at 12 for the Wobs will put to bed the ongoing argument about the relative strengths of the Euro Club competition compared to Super Rugby, ... ... ... or it will start afresh, regardless of how Giteau plays: The lovers will love, and haters will hate.

T

Train Without a Station

Seb good to see you post. Was concerned you're head may have actually exploded when you read "Hooper" at 7.

Just on your comments RE: Hooper and Higginbotham, they actually combined well last time they played together. Was the last Bledisloe test last year where we maintained over 60% possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.