• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Adelaide Oval, Sat 27th August, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Need some decent boots at the back. I would have Jordy Petaia on the bench to back up Hodge and Kellaway
Yep I think Wright must be paying for his ‘mare against Argentina.

Koroibete on the other wing, Petaia and Foley? On the bench. Not actually sure who’s on the bench if not Foley. Petaia covers wings, fullback and 13, do you carry a Foketi for the centres with Hodge to flyhalf?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Also from the same article

"Young playmaker Noah Lolesio has been advised to aim for solid, not spectacular, when he slips back on the problematic Wallabies no.10 jersey against the Springboks in Adelaide on Saturday."

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Tate looked like he could kick with his 50/22 box kick vs Argentina. I also must have missed all these Jake Gordon kicking masterclass games

Hodge at 15 is ok. He cant really catch but at least he knows where to stand which already makes him more qualified than Wright or Petaia. His boot is a massive asset too

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I like the back 3. All genuine try scorers with balance and cover on the bench.

I'm really getting over Nic White. I don't think we can win the WC with him as the starting 9. Good teams pressure him and it goes to shit. I may be being harsh as he hasn't had consistent partners in the 10 jersey.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
so the box kick that travels forward up the field by 10-15 meters is more beneficial than having possession?
I hate the box kick more than anyone, but the Boks won the last RWC doing this.

And nearly all teams are using it heavily, so the answer is obviously "yes." The thing about the 15-20 meter box kick is that you also have a 20% or whatever chance of regaining possession by competing in the air or a knock on. And if the other team gets possession the kick was so short that they can't counter.

But yes the spot is rough to watch when the correct calculation is that you are better off giving the other team the ball 20 meters ahead against a set defense, with a 20% chance of getting the ball in that location vs. just running the ball. The probability of you running the ball to get there without a turnover/penalty is too low to be worth it. Sadly.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I hate the box kick more than anyone, but the Boks won the last RWC doing this.

And nearly all teams are using it heavily, so the answer is obviously "yes." The thing about the 15-20 meter box kick is that you also have a 20% or whatever chance of regaining possession by competing in the air or a knock on. And if the other team gets possession the kick was so short that they can't counter.

But yes the spot is rough to watch when the correct calculation is that you are better off giving the other team the ball 20 meters ahead against a set defense, with a 20% chance of getting the ball in that location vs. just running the ball. The probability of you running the ball to get there without a turnover/penalty is too low to be worth it. Sadly.
If you have a good set piece than it's worth the risk at times. you can march a team up the field even with a stuffed kick. I'm waiting for more Half Backs to attempt the 50/22 kick. 2 steps off the ruck and drill it cross field.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
If you have a good set piece than it's worth the risk at times. you can march a team up the field even with a stuffed kick. I'm waiting for more Half Backs to attempt the 50/22 kick. 2 steps off the ruck and drill it cross field.

Its a great option but you have to wait till the back 3 are napping or not set & at international level its rare.

Maybe off scrums where you can someone dangerous like Marika around the loop to the short side to condense the defense & force the wing man out of his position & double guess himself.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If a wing of fullback grabbed it they are likely to send it into touch anyway around the 10m line at most. I reckon you would get a chance once a half. Will take time for players to naturally think about it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm really getting over Nic White. I don't think we can win the WC with him as the starting 9. Good teams pressure him and it goes to shit. I may be being harsh as he hasn't had consistent partners in the 10 jersey.
White is the best fit with our most likely long term 10 option being Noah, we have f*cked around with the elderly but IMHO Noah is our best option

They play together all year and his kicking game takes pressure off the 10

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
White is the best fit with our most likely long term 10 option being Noah, we have f*cked around with the elderly but IMHO Noah is our best option

They play together all year and his kicking game takes pressure off the 10
They have the most cohesive relationship of any pair in Aus at the moment and that has to mean something. Quade is hurt and nobody else is a starting test standard 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.