• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Adelaide Oval, Sat 27th August, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Apparently White and AAA are the vice captains to Slipper. If all of them start you'd expect all of them to be absent for most of the last quarter of the game. I wonder if this means AAA won't be starting.
TT has to come off the bench. His impact is greater and he is just better against tired legs. For now AAA is much more solid to start and help set the tone.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
TT has to come off the bench. His impact is greater and he is just better against tired legs. For now AAA is much more solid to start and help set the tone.
I agree in theory, although (and I have nothing to support this) my feeling is that he has his better games when he starts and can work his way into the game.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree in theory, although (and I have nothing to support this) my feeling is that he has his better games when he starts and can work his way into the game.
Never proven this at test level, all his best efforts have come off the bench, and then he gets a start and isn't as impactful...7A's should be starting atm , Tupou on for the second half.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I dont disagree but it's weird to have all the captains in positions that generally dont play the last 1/4.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think you missed the point why JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) was dropped. He had a role to be leader in the group and did not execute.
List out the senior players from that game who had a role to be leader and did not execute:

Tupou - was much worse but still in the squad
White - should have been the leader who stepped it up. Under Rennie's system he is the primary playmaker, who O'Connor was relying on for quick, clean ball. Pisses off every ref every week. Still in the squad, likely to be the starter.
Arnold has 20+ test caps, Swain is in double figures and runs the lineout. Senior players both still in the squad, neither of whom covered themselves in glory.
Petaia and Wright both 10+ test caps so not debs any more. Neither played with the maturity required Still in the squad.

So, which of those players played better than O'Connor? Which of them had leadership roles that they did not execute? In Rennie's mind O'Connor was the main reason we got thrashed by not executing and not showing leadership. So he publicly rubbished him. How did the others escape the same treatment?

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
List out the senior players from that game who had a role to be leader and did not execute:

Tupou - was much worse but still in the squad
White - should have been the leader who stepped it up. Under Rennie's system he is the primary playmaker, who O'Connor was relying on for quick, clean ball. Pisses off every ref every week. Still in the squad, likely to be the starter.
Arnold has 20+ test caps, Swain is in double figures and runs the lineout. Senior players both still in the squad, neither of whom covered themselves in glory.
Petaia and Wright both 10+ test caps so not debs any more. Neither played with the maturity required Still in the squad.

So, which of those players played better than O'Connor? Which of them had leadership roles that they did not execute? In Rennie's mind O'Connor was the main reason we got thrashed by not executing and not showing leadership. So he publicly rubbished him. How did the others escape the same treatment?
Is this you James?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Whilst I doubt it is a personal vendetta, I have the feeling Rennie hasn't been in the JOC (James O'Connor) corner for a while. He's been one of (maybe the only) player who's been openly shutdown by Rennie in the media a number of times.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Whilst I doubt it is a personal vendetta, I have the feeling Rennie hasn't been in the JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) corner for a while. He's been one of (maybe the only) player who's been openly shutdown by Rennie in the media a number of times.
Then why did he pick him over Noah in the last test?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Then why did he pick him over Noah in the last test?

For the leadership factor, probably felt pressure from the squad to have someone on the field with experience as a leader. Can't really fault his leadership at the Reds over a number of years.

I'm not defending JOC (James O'Connor), I think he's been poor. But I also don't think he's been in Rennie's favour which has made it easier to flick him/make him the scapegoat.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) is not a test class 10. He has never performed well at 10 at the highest level. He does not fit in elsewhere any longer as there are a number of people ahead of him at 12/13/14/15.
I guess Rennie had to give him a run, although a win for the Wallabies last week was important.

On the other side of the coin it was not a great opportunity for JOC (James O'Connor) as we had a lot of regulars missing from the 23.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
If he wasn't in Rennie's favor he wouldn't have picked him in the first place. O'Connor's lack of effort on defense was the most glaring part of his game vs Argentina.

Hes not the scapegoat, he's just not good enough and we all know that

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If he wasn't in Rennie's favor he wouldn't have picked him in the first place. O'Connor's lack of effort on defense was the most glaring part of his game vs Argentina.

Hes not the scapegoat, he's just not good enough and we all know that

So does Rennie need to sack himself then for being an incompetent selector?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I've been on white as starting 9 all year but that last game against the Argies he constantly stagnated our attack with very slow ball from the ruck, runners were overrunning their lines etc. I was a bit surprised it hasn't been talked about more. Was glaringly obvious to me.

I think we need to give Tate or Gordon more time on the field. White perhaps coming off the bench to close out games. Worth a try to see what the others offer for 50/60 mins a year out from the RWC.

I always thought JOCs best position would have been 13 in the Conrad Smith mould. Shame he never got a chance there as a younger bloke. His speed, running lines and passing game could have really expanded our attack from the usual bash and barge 13s we traditionally have had. Agree he has never been a good 10. Not sure what to do with him at test level. You suspect it is 10 or bust at the moment and he just isn't performing as he should. I don't think he has been as bad as many are saying but not where he should be for a guy with his experience.

We need whoever is picked in the 23 to show up this weekend. Boks will be out for blood after last year and their last game. It will get messy if we go out anything like that last game v Argies.

Status
Not open for further replies.