• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks II, Allianz Stadium 7:35pm 03/09/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm glad he didn't give a yellow for the deliberate knockdown, I've always hated that rule.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I was at the game and while the complaints about the referee were certainly evident around me (and online), I really couldn't see a problem with it.

Australia got penalised heavily in the first half when we were constantly under pressure and most of those had to happen, particularly with our ball at the breakdown. They were all pretty clear.

There were several dumb penalties Australia gave away which I can't see any issue with (Kellaway obstructing after the cross field kick, Slipper (I think) picking the ball up from an offside position).

I can't really see a way that the Wallabies could have been penalised less given the way they played.
Sorry I can't help myself replying to this.

Why do rugby supporters critize reffing?

1 Refs are human and can make mistake.
2 Rugby have grey areas and two different opinions can both be right.
3 Reffing is like people's personalities. You,ll never get two persons or two animals that have the same character and refs deciding the same.

So fuck ja, they make mistakes.

The South African players have a huge advantage since playing in the URC. It took our teams half a season to adapt to NH conditions and refs.

Example Adamson is totally different to Berry or to the NZ refs.

So fuck ja iso critizise the ref, what about the professional players adopting to the way the ref reacts or ref? Want to tell me they don't study them?

Just get a grip and critizise when your team lost or blame the stupid players.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

3 Reffing is like people's personalities. You,ll never get two persons or two animals that have the same character and refs deciding the same.

The South African players have a huge advantage since playing in the URC. It took our teams half a season to adapt to NH conditions and refs.

So fuck ja iso critizise the ref, what about the professional players adopting to the way the ref reacts or ref? Want to tell me they don't study them?

I would only add that when referees are being critiqued when learning their trade, they are pulled up when they don’t call a penalty or an infringement. So they are always looking for a penalty to be awarded. Letting the game flow is not taught.
I was told when I first started playing rugby, age 6, “The ref is always right. He will never change his decision. Just accept it and play on”.
Wise advice.
I would like to see referees and assistant referees police the constant holding of the ball or throwing it away by a penalised team, to not allow the other team the opportunity of a quick tap though.The marching 10m further up the field by the ref would put a stop to this practice overnight. So easy to begin doing.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Personally, I don't think Porecki has as much influence on a game as FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) does and is prone to sometimes offering poor ball at lineout time, just like almost every No 2 we've tried in recent times.
I tend to agree. I like Porecki and I think he's an effective Super Rugby Hooker for the Tahs but doesn't offer anything more at the next level. I bet Rennie hope that Latu can have a big year on the field and a quite one off it. I'd let FF (Folau Fainga'a) keep the start for now and get Lonergan on for the last 20-25 mins for the rest of the year.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

It took the SA players half a season to adapt? It only took Rassie 57 minutes to sort out Test refereeing…

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

Agree. The ref does not decide the game. Sure they make mistakes but none are openly biased to one side or the other.
At this level the team should know and be prepared for the ref who has been assigned to the game. No question about it. They all have slightly different interpretations of the laws and how they should be applied and it is easy for all coaches and players to be knowledgeable about all the test referees.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I tend to agree. I like Porecki and I think he's an effective Super Rugby Hooker for the Tahs but doesn't offer anything more at the next level. I bet Rennie hope that Latu can have a big year on the field and a quite one off it. I'd let FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) keep the start for now and get Lonergan on for the last 20-25 mins for the rest of the year.
Ghost, I am hopeful BPA (no I can't spell it) comes in for the NH games. I always thought he was an excellent hooker and mostly threw it in straight.
Latu was very good before he left but I haven't seen enough of him since then and his cameo last year didn't show much.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think we lack a bit of professionalism (ie doing the same thing over and over with a continuous high level of skill) and preparing for refs is a part of it. It is up to the captain to shut a player up if they are getting up the ref's nose. That is what Slipper should have done to White. Wouldn't have changed the outcome but?

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Ghost, I am hopeful BPA (no I can't spell it) comes in for the NH games. I always thought he was an excellent hooker and mostly threw it in straight.
Latu was very good before he left but I haven't seen enough of him since then and his cameo last year didn't show much.
Forgot about him. Good call. Definitely helped Bordeaux win it all this year.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
White was getting it from the Boks and their supporters from the get go. He looked rattled and his play reflected it. If we had not had issues with 10 and 12 I am sure that DR would have replaced White early.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes, BPA was our best hooker last year. I have not seen any footage of him since he left. If he is going well no doubt he will be included on the EOYT.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
White was getting it from the Boks and their supporters from the get go. He looked rattled and his play reflected it. If we had not had issues with 10 and 12 I am sure that DR would have replaced White early.

I think this is true too as Gordon started playing 9 and White went to the wing pretty quickly.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think we lack a bit of professionalism (ie doing the same thing over and over with a continuous high level of skill) and preparing for refs is a part of it. It is up to the captain to shut a player up if they are getting up the ref's nose. That is what Slipper should have done to White. Wouldn't have changed the outcome but?

The wallabies have lacked a great captain for a while now.

Agent

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The box-kick, per se, is not a low percentage option, hence all good teams do it, a LOT. We do it poorly, in terms of blockers, execution, and chase. So it doesn't yield well for us. We need to get better at it.
Ok I like your points, but I still feel that we box kick too often, too poorly, in bad field position, for not enough metres. I understand ‘horses for courses’ but I have seen the Wallabies way to often, from deep in our red zone, box kick and only gain 10-15 metres and Nic White seems to be a guilty culprit more often than not. We are just gifting the ball to the opposition well in our half and having to defend, defend, defend and wondering why we have no territory, no points, and very few wins.
What happened to a halfback firing a bullet pass back to a 5/8 or fullback (I’m thinking Hodge with a massive boot) who are in a better position to be able to kick us out of trouble with a 30-50 metre kick. At least we are defending in centre field then and not in our red zone.
I stand by “Nic White can jam HIS box kick where the sun don’t shine”. Maybe we need a half that can box kick a lot better and less regularly!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
From Kevin Millar on twitter:

In the first half of the game, of the 40 minutes, the ball was only in play for 14 minutes and 35 seconds. Dire.

18 lineouts took up 13m 51s or 31%.
4 scrums - 5m 40s (12.5%).
3 goal kicks - 5m 40s (12.5%).
2 stoppages (water break & injury when clock was off) - 3m 13s (7%).
3 restart kicks - 1m 40s (4%).
Other - 35s (1%)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

In the first half of the game, of the 40 minutes, the ball was only in play for 14 minutes and 35 seconds. Dire.

Other - 35s (1%)
Got sucked into playing their game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Box kicks usually happen between the 22 & half way where you can only kick long or run it back (with the risk that a turn over will have them camped just outside the 22)

A box kick is a wonderful tool when done effectively, it is a contestable kick ie the team needs to contest the bloody thing and create pressure It takes team work and effort

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Other - 35s (1%)

water stoppages and injury stoppages aren't part of the 40 minutes.

I wonder how this is broken down? Does it mean the stoppages for lineouts are from the time the ball is kicked out to the time that is thrown in?

Are restart kicks just the time it takes to do a goal line drop out?

The four scrums for 5 minutes is the biggest issue there. I think teams just have to take greater ownership of not faffing around at the pack - but it probably has to be driven by a World Rugby or SANZAAR directive to do it better.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The scrums were ridiculously slow live. Players need to do better here. They were literally just standing around doing nothing.

I feel like either team showing some purpose would have sped this up but with neither of them showing any interest in getting things moving, they were packed at a glacial pace.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Box kicks usually happen between the 22 & half way where you can only kick long or run it back (with the risk that a turn over will have them camped just outside the 22)

A box kick is a wonderful tool when done effectively, it is a contestable kick ie the team needs to contest the bloody thing and create pressure It takes team work and effort
Too true FP. And as much as some here think Nic's box kicks are the pits, he is far and away the best box kicker in the Aussie camp. Trouble is that we hardly contest for the ball in the air, and with Koroibete injured early last game that was in effect the end of our chasing game.

I will agree however with the criticism that we kicked away too much possession on the weekend and that the reliance on the box kick should have been amended to account for Marika's injury. In that regard, I wonder what the coaches' and captains' instructions were? Surely they should have seen the need to change tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.