• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales: Name Your Best XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlexH

Surely, Mogg showed against the Hurricanes precisely why he is not ready for test rugby at this point in time.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
So let's break it down and look at the available players worth their (test match) salt in some kind of form (mostly, due consideration of previous wallaby contributions is key) based hierarchy, to help me (and others) order our thoughts. This system should auto-generate our hypothetical best XV and from there we can make judgement calls on the logistical nightmare that it the Scotland-Wales double.
For mine
LHP: Robinson, Alexander (not seen much), Slipper, Holmes, Kepu, Daley
THP: Kepu, Slipper, Palmer (there isn't much between the top 3), Alexander, Ma'afu, Holmes
Hooker: Moore, TPN, Hanson, S. Fainga'a or Charles
2nd row: Horwill, Pyle, Sharpe (available for scotland at least hopefully), Simmons, Fardy (not much between 3-5), Timani, Carter, Neville, Jones
Blindside: Dennis, Higginbotham, Elsom, Mowen (contentious I know), Schatz, Robinson
openside: Pocock, Hooper, Gill (nothing between them [see poll] but Gill deserves his captaincy opportunity with 20's), Robinson, Hodgson
8: Higginbotham, Palu, Mowen, Auleua, McCalman, Schatz, Samo

halfback: Genia, White, Phipps, Lucas (hasn't been seen there, could be higher or lower by 1) McKibbon, Sheehan
10: Beale, barnes (I actually think he has gone alright, particularly when he just lets his natural passing instincts take over), Lucas, Cooper (subject to what happens over next few weeks). can't think of any more that I would want
12: McCabe, Harris/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Fainga'a, Horne, barnes
13. Fainga'a/Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cummins, Smith, Kingston

Wing: Ioane, Speight (eligible?), Cummins, Shipperley, Kingston, tomane/Mogg, Morahan (I wish aidan toua could get healthy cause I reckon if he strings 7-10 games together ever he'll run in at 2 or 3)
15. Ideally beale, if not perhaps 1 of Mogg, Foley, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Lucas (maybe Morahan if he shows the best form ever next few games).

That was exhausting.

So our best XV would appear to be
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Pyle
5. Horwill
6. Dennis
7. Pocock
8. Higginbotham

9. genia
10. Beale/Barnes
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. Horne/Fainga'a/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Mogg/Shipperly/Speight (anyone's guess)
15. Lucas/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Beale

16. TPN 17. Slipper 18. Sharpe/Simmons/Timani 19. Hooper/Palu 20. White/Hooper 21. White/Lucas/Barnes 22. Lucas/Mogg/Tomane/Shipperly/Foley

Clear as mud?

This is of course pending the wondrous return of the cavalry (to form or the field - i.e Mitchell, Cooper, Elsom etc.)

A

AlexH

It certainly wasn't his best game, but we couldn't pick anyone judged on their worst game...

He is a great player but consistency has been a problem for him all season. His performance against the Hurricanes being the most outstanding example of this problem.

something

Jim Clark (26)
the backs i'd like are

Genia
White or Lucas (only 1)
Beale
Ioane
McCabe
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Fainga'a (only 1)
Vuna or Tomane or Mogg (only 1)
Cooper (if they decide to put in the 4:3 split) - personally i dont think he will be fit and 5:2's a better option

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm more interested in who our hard-nosed forwards are going to be. We've got more than enough quality backs, we need to make sure our forward pack are a bunch of hard nosed c*nts who will absolutely sock it to anyone who dares to try and claim possession. Whoever then plays in the backline is a bonus.

RE Mogg: FFS he is not anywhere near ready for Wallaby level this year. Jesus Christ, people accuse ME of being a Brumbies die hard and one eyed! He's scored a couple of good individual tries, and run a few nice lines. He's also kicked a shitload of ball out on the full, been turned far too many times in the tackle, missed tackles, taken the wrong option and been weak in contact.

He's got a big future, and is one to put in the oven to harden up and cure for the future. For gods sake though, will people please stop mentioning him as the Wallaby fullback saviour?

cardiffcider

Stan Wickham (3)
as a welshman myself is it true that gareth delve is going to france next season to play hope so as hes been away from the wales scene to long

cardiffcider

Stan Wickham (3)
as a welshman will name the welsh staring xv against australia in the first test
15 lee halfpenny
14 george north
13 johnathen davies
12 scot williams
11. cuthburt
10 presitland
9. mike phillips
8 toby falatau
7 sam warburton capt
6. dan lydiate
5. ian evans
4. chateris
3 adam jones
2. ken owen
1 gethin jenkins

a very strong side wales by 8 in the first test cant wait

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mogg a contender... Gill not being considered...

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans pleased with depth in Aussie rugby; praises Nic White and Jesse Mogg
  • By staff writers
  • May 24, 2012 11:07PM
Wallabies coach Robbie Deans is pleased with the current depth in Australian rugby and has backed a number of young stars to make the transition from promising Super Rugby players to fully-fledged internationals.

Deans nominated tight-head prop, openside flanker, five-eighth and lock as positions that are chock full of contenders for Wallabies jerseys.

"There’s a number of key positions where we haven’t had the depth previously," Deans said on The Rugby Club.

"It’s now coming on.
"We knew these blokes were in the system, it was just a matter of them getting to that point where they got the game time, their bodies were able to cope with the week to week, and now there's a queue starting."

Deans was particularly pleased with the efforts of Jake White's young Brumbies squad, and had good things to say about two of their rising stars, fullbackJesse Mogg and scrum half Nic White.

"They've played very well,” Deans said of Mogg and White.

"They've been part of a good team performance, and individuals get the benefits of good team performances.

"Essentially we’re looking for players that make teams go better, and these guys have been big contributors to the Brumbies' form."

One man who won’t receive a Wallabies call-up in June is flanker Liam Gill, with the Queensland Reds sensation due to join Australia’s U20 squad.

Deans said it was always the plan to have Gill in the under-age squad, with one of the key reasons being that he can develop his leadership abilities.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
O'Connor is reportedly definitely not available.
If that is the case then surely Cooper will come into contention with a couple of good runs under his belt. 15 will be a key position and there is Beale then JOC (James O'Connor) then daylight before the next best candidate.
If not then Deans may go with Barnes at 10 against Scotland and slot Cooper in there against Wales.
Agreed that the forward pack chosen will be much more important against both the Scots and the Welsh.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
JUST four Western Force players will be considered for the midyear Tests. Prop Salesi Ma'afu, lock Nathan Sharpe, flanker David Pocock and backrower Ben McCalman are the only players Wallabies coach Robbie Deans is interested in. It confirms the overhaul of Deans's original plan to use only Force and Queensland players for the Scotland Test on June 5. Contenders Matt Hodgson, Nathan Charles and Pek Cowan were disappointed to learn of Deans's change of heart.

A couple of odd ones there from my perspective.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
A couple of odd ones there from my perspective.
where dais that come from? Last night deans said that 16 to 17 player from the force and reds will gather for the first week of training. I know that not all those will play but I doubt that 13 reds players will be selected. So just being there they have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Cooper Vuna has been overlooked a bit so far in this thread, bar a few mentions. He is playing with some good form, his attacking prowess is near un-matched by the other contenders. I'd have him above Shipperely, Mogg and Kingston in the pecking order, and not too far behind Cummins and Tomane.

Status
Not open for further replies.