• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales, Principality Stadium, Sun 27th November, 2.15am AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Agreed. I'd love to know why he picks Gordon over Tate because I can't begin to understand it.

I can only guess that Gordon is better at implementing whatever Rennie is asking for and maybe Tate goes off script or something.

To the casual fan (me) it looks like Tate is the better player now and has far more potential than Gordon.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think running the ponies hookers with their locks should provide some benefit, but I don't understand why Samu isn't starting, he was the form Aus 7 for most of the test season with Hooper on gardening leave

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think Campbell not at 15 is cooked. Not taking a shot at Wright here at all, but you have a fullback and a winger - let them play fullback and wing. FFS. I get there’s lots of changes now due to the huge amount of injuries, but this one just feels totally unnecessary.

The game is about combinations. Wright, Petaia, Nawaqanitawase combined better than any alternative we have seen. Individual strengths seemed to balance individual weaknesses and the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

I don't like Wright and I do like Campbell, but this seems to me to be the right call. Add two further observations - 1. Wright is praised by Rennie for his "voice". This is something at the Reds where Campbell excels. Does he need a confidence boost to get there? 2. While I wouldn't call him internationally seasoned outside of FB, Campbell offers more cover from the bench - FB, wing, 10 (lol, halfback). With Hodge starting Campbell is as close to a utility back that we have left.

I'm happy to pillory Rennie on most things at the moment - but he has this right.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That team does look bad, who are we kidding. Not too different from the one that lost to Italy.

Wales are gonna pump us, we’re going to watch Hodge drop 3 passes minimum. Maybe give away a YC high tackle.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That team does look bad, who are we kidding. Not too different from the one that lost to Italy.

Wales are gonna pump us, we’re going to watch Hodge drop 3 passes minimum. Maybe give away a YC high tackle.

Interesting comment. I'm counting nine (9) - yes that is 9 - changes in the starting 15 to the Italy game.

The reality is that we are used to the likely selections and the likely pecking order, so that Rennie's selections are generally not hard to predict reasonable. This squad was as likely as the Italy squad (given the outrageously unacceptable decision to select a 2nd 15 for Italy). Both teams are on their haunches in terms of selections. Italy due to management, Wales due to injury.

The team for Wales looks fine, pretty much as solid as it gets under the circumstances. Like others I'd have taken more importance around discipline but we all know that Rennie has chosen to manage disciple with harsh words, not action.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Interesting comment. I'm counting nine (9) - yes that is 9 - changes in the starting 15 to the Italy game.

The reality is that we are used to the likely selections and the likely pecking order, so that Rennie's selections are generally not hard to predict reasonable. This squad was as likely as the Italy squad (given the outrageously unacceptable decision to select a 2nd 15 for Italy). Both teams are on their haunches in terms of selections. Italy due to management, Wales due to injury.

The team for Wales looks fine, pretty much as solid as it gets under the circumstances. Like others I'd have taken more importance around discipline but we all know that Rennie has chosen to manage disciple with harsh words, not action.
Skelton, Tupou & Paisami are losses. Gibbon & Swain aren’t there. The rest is just rearrangement. I’d argue that this team is worse.

Our bench scrum is in trouble.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Campbell should be starting 15 imo. The back 3 selected are all strike wingers, Campbell is a fullback... the guy with game nous, the vision and ability to set up those players around him. He also has significantly more experience at 15 than Wright, so you can put that to bed.

One of those 3 should have been on the bench with Jock starting at 15 and controlling the game at the back from the onset. I'd also think Campbell offers more assistance as a 2nd ball player to Donaldson than Wright.

Rennie clearly sees something in Wright beyond his obvious athletic gifts. I hope his persistence pays off in the long run.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Guess this team will be make or break for Ben Darwin's cohesive formula. It'd be close to the most "cohesive" team the Wallabies have put together in recent years?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
the pack is pretty good and outside 9/10 everyone else has the ability to step up at test level and execute a good game plan. wright, JP and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) all looked great last week so just repeat.
Wales down a few as well. as long as its a good game and we play well, i'm not too fussed with the result. bit of a nothing game with all the injuries we have as far as i'm concerned. always good to win, but i'm not reading anything into a loss as long as its a good performance.

time to get back home, give these boys a rest. get back to super rugby get ready for the WC.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am happy with the backrow as long as Gleeson performs as well as some here, expect from him. I would have gone with a bigger backrow with Holloway at 8 and Hanigan at 6 to cover the loss of bobby v. Pleased Rennie started McRight over Samu as I suspect we will need Samu's smarts at the back end of the game.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's pretty clear that Rennie really doesn't rate McDermott. Gordon hasn't been good and he's still being picked ahead of McDermott. I doubt the final penalty last week would have counted for much. 3 or 4 backs ran into that maul and did exactly the same thing as Gordon swimming past the ball carrier. It happens almost every maul where others join late and this time it was penalised. The yellow card the week before far more matched the discipline question.

Lolesio's organisation of the backline has been pretty non-existent. We generally rely on White for that but I think it's the primary reason he's now on the outer. He's had a bunch of chances and I think it has become pretty clear that Rennie invested the time in the wrong person. It's still pretty surprising that Rennie has opted for a rookie to start though.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agreed. I'd love to know why he picks Gordon over Tate because I can't begin to understand it.

I can only guess that Gordon is better at implementing whatever Rennie is asking for and maybe Tate goes off script or something.

To the casual fan (me) it looks like Tate is the better player now and has far more potential than Gordon.
I suspect it is only Tate's passing that holds him back. He is the future and could well be the starting 9 at the RWC.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It's pretty clear that Rennie really doesn't rate McDermott. Gordon hasn't been good and he's still being picked ahead of McDermott. I doubt the final penalty last week would have counted for much. 3 or 4 backs ran into that maul and did exactly the same thing as Gordon swimming past the ball carrier. It happens almost every maul where others join late and this time it was penalised. The yellow card the week before far more matched the discipline question.

Lolesio's organisation of the backline has been pretty non-existent. We generally rely on White for that but I think it's the primary reason he's now on the outer. He's had a bunch of chances and I think it has become pretty clear that Rennie invested the time in the wrong person. It's still pretty surprising that Rennie has opted for a rookie to start though.
I like that he’s made a big call. Lolesio isn’t gonna get us to RWC semis

Status
Not open for further replies.