• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Ireland - 3rd test - Saturday 23rd June 2018 - Sydney Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
This series and the June tests in general have raised some very serious Officiating issues that must be addressed.

1) The TMO system is taking far too long and they are far too involved. The Referee in the middle must be returned to the sole judge of fact and law and they should be making all judgements.
2) Slowing of the play - all sides have been guilty at some stages this series and referees must stop the clock and warn the teams. If a player is constantly going down with "injury" yet plays on they can be warned and on the next occasion directed to either leave the field or be ignored regarding injury.
3) Scrums and lineouts must be removed from "time in play" with regard to setting up time can restart when the ball is fed.
4) The judicial system is regarded with derision and contempt because of inconsistency and leniency. This is not sustainable brings the game into disrepute.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
So the laws and the directives place all onus on the tackler to avoid contact with the head but Cane and Ofa don't get cited. This is exactly the same. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Cane's was never a citing level offence and the tackled player dropping into a tackle is taken into account. I wouldn't actually have objected to Ofa getting cited, however.

Btw, here's the one Folau got cited for - and it is worse as he's not really in a realistic challenge and does pull down.

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2018/06/click-here-if-you-cannot-view-the-clip-above-230.mp4

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
I won’t argue against the penalty against Folau - although I think it is very marginal contact.

However, I think World Rugby should move to outlaw lifting in general play. To me that is no different to moves to ban shoulder charges. The practice is inherently dangerous and has potential to contribute to major injury. It almost seems inevitable.

I agree, I don't see any real need for it. I don't think giving the receiving team a big advantage is really necessary there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
One team on an upward trajectory and one team on a downward trajectory,
Other than when playing ireland I'm passionate about Australian rugby , if you want an outsiders opinion so many of the problems stem from thefarce that is super rugby , it's not even related to must win test rugby , how many must win games are there in a season , compare it to champions cup
They badly need to fix that Comp and get back some public interest
This along with probs at grassroot
I was also a big fan of cheicka but I think he's starting to carry on like a clown it's all well and good having passion but there is a line and he's crossed it time and time again

The upside is that the raw talent in this country is incredible , the players are here.
I just think they don't get enough exposure to game management in tight games in the super Comp
That amount of territory and possession was a game they should have closed out

As for the ref I've made the point and a heap of posters have here rugby is ruined by the constant bItching about the ref , to give you an example both sides think they were Rode in that game , ireland think they were due a penalty try . It's always the same now every team every game
Yeah but Super is watchable tho cause they do exciting bits like score tries (was at one time the point of rugby).

Otherwise, its mostly about other sports and countries sucking up the talent ay. Fardy was pretty useful for Leinster eh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah but Super is watchable tho cause they do exciting bits like score tries (was at one time the point of rugby).

Otherwise, its mostly about other sports and countries sucking up the talent ay. Fardy was pretty useful for Leinster eh.

Is that why the crowds are walking away from it in droves and eurpean club rugby is flying?
I'd also be interested to see stats regarding tries , or will we just live off the traditional stereotype of both comps

Faddy was unreal this year
Rocky Elsom before him in 2009
Jim Williams at Munster
John Langford before him at Munster
Incredible contributions to Irish club rugby in Europe comps by Australians

That's my exact point , the talent in this country is unreal , in fact the natural talen is outrageous, I think super rugby has ran its race the compa beeds to be restructured and public interest regained

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
Novel idea to save rugby. Make it less entertaining.

So let me get this straight , you are seriously saying that champions cup rugby is less entertaining than supper rugby
Let's agree to disagree
You can have your mumbo jumbo sunwolves against your rebels with ther 5 years of history in front of 8,000 people
I'll take Leicester in front on Toulon in a must win game with 50,000 any day
To be fair it's Hard to beat the excitement of the jaguars vs the stoners at 3am tho in a nothing game compared bath vs Leicester in a packed to the rafters ground with their combine 200 years of history in a do or die pool game

The Comp is farce and it's an easy fix no amount of dead rubber 58-47 games is going to ale it more interesting
5 oz 5 nz 2 islands everyone play everyone home and away easy .

Take the blinker off

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
As for the ref I've made the point and a heap of posters have here rugby is ruined by the constant bItching about the ref , to give you an example both sides think they were Rode in that game , ireland think they were due a penalty try . It's always the same now every team every game

I can’t believe you can sit there and legitimately believe that in any way shape or form Ireland copped the short end of the stick from the referee

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)

I find Super rugby about as interesting as basketball. Fantastic athletes doing fantastic things but as a blood and thunder contest for the ball, which is actually the point of rugby, contrived and boring. And, interestingly, it is not even close to NH rugby in terms of popularity and income, which is why the SH teams struggle to keep their players at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
I can’t believe you can sit there and legitimately believe that in any way shape or form Ireland copped the short end of the stick from the referee

I don't , other than the penalty try
But the Irish media do
And they the think they got rode thru the series

And that's the problem with rugby in nutshell

Every game every country polar opposites on the referee

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I don't , other than the penalty try
But the Irish media do
And they the think they got rode thru the series

And that's the problem with rugby in nutshell

Every game every country polar opposites on the referee

No that’s the problem with your shit media haha

The SH teams and supporters are pretty decent, if we lose we lose but if the red fucks up we sure as hell will let them know about it and it’s going to stay that way till there’s some form of accountability for the refs. Make them do press conferences, coaches have to, why not refs

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Novel idea to save rugby. Make it less entertaining.

For all the “entertainment” of super rugby the ARU haven’t actually got a pot to piss in relative to the IRFU, RFU, FFR and the English and French clubs. Bums on seats and money in the bank would tend to suggest that the “entertainment” of NH rugby is considerably more remunerative than the “entertainment” of SH rugby.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I find 80 point rugby bloody boring. I'd say the most exciting game I've ever seen was our 99 semi and not a single try was scored. Super rugby has mostly test calibre attack and nowhere near test calibre defense.

If you go back far enough, trys were worth zero, so they haven't always been a point of obsession.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
For all the “entertainment” of super rugby the ARU haven’t actually got a pot to piss in relative to the IRFU, RFU, FFR and the English and French clubs. Bums on seats and money in the bank would tend to suggest that the “entertainment” of NH rugby is considerably more remunerative than the “entertainment” of SH rugby.

Yeah but it has nothing to do with stodgy rugby being more entertaining. There are a thousand reasons why its failing here and that is not one of them.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I find 80 point rugby bloody boring. I'd say the most exciting game I've ever seen was our 99 semi and not a single try was scored. Super rugby has mostly test calibre attack and nowhere near test calibre defense.

If you go back far enough, trys were worth zero, so they haven't always been a point of obsession.
I know Aus were on the wrong side of the result but, for a neutral, the 2003 final was an astonishingly exciting game, with one try apiece. It was a wonderful contest for the ball.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Yeah but it has nothing to do with stodgy rugby being more entertaining. There are a thousand reasons why its failing here and that is not one of them.

As I posted, objectively, people are paying a f’ck of a lot more to be entertained by NH rugby than they are to be entertained by SH rugby. What you or I, subjectivity, think is immaterial. NH rugby is considerably more popular than SH rugby.

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)

It's not stodgy rugby mate , some of the French reams are loaded with ex all blacks and Fijians, watch some of it next season you'll be surprised

My point is that the games are must win due to the structure of the Comp , you can only loose 1 very occasionally if you get results to go your way 2 , it's more closely related to do or die nature of test rugby

We can throw out the stereotypes about Nh rugby but watch some high profile games next year and you maybe surprised

It's not the only prob with things here but it doesn't help when nrl has constant local games and we don't .
The reds didn't have a home game for 6 weeks this year , how can you sustain and build public interest with a season with that structure , the broncos are at home every 2nd week

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I know Aus were on the wrong side of the result but, for a neutral, the 2003 final was an astonishingly exciting game, with one try apiece. It was a wonderful contest for the ball.

You're both dreamers! Modern exciting rugby is really about admiring how many technical penalties the ref can pull out of his arse against the attacking team. It's the cramps, the shoelaces and every other delay we can slow the game with. And it's about the TMO because who doesn't want to go back and review something nobody cares about!

Status
Not open for further replies.