• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Ireland - 3rd test - Saturday 23rd June 2018 - Sydney Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Not sure what you on about Lost, I was genuinely asking Derpus which penalties he thought the ref shouldn't of blown. It is a question I always want answered when a anyone says let the game flow etc, stop blowing penalties.
Also forward passes. We get rightly called on a pass, then 2 blatant forward passes off the scrum. It's the lack of consistency that frustrates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
You're both dreamers! Modern exciting rugby is really about admiring how many technical penalties the ref can pull out of his arse against the attacking team. It's the cramps, the shoelaces and every other delay we can slow the game with. And it's about the TMO because who doesn't want to go back and review something nobody cares about!

Soccer is the world game and there is plenty 0-0 draws , they don't constant change the rules to make it a better "product"
The beauty is today it might be 9-6 next day 45-37, next game 21-18
So many styles and ways to win that's the beauty of it .
Australia traditionally play A very attractive brand ireland not so, isn't that the beauty clash of styles
Otherwise we can watch league where you can disengage the Brain for 80mins

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
24 hrs later I have moved past thinking about the ref and think it was a tremendous game of rugby last night which either team could of won. Same of whole series really, which has been one of the better series here for many years.

Ireland are a clever team, over the series, I think their game smarts were probably the difference. People criticising their ball in hand game are ignoring that this takes skill and is not dissimilar to the Macqueen era wallabies. They control the game and execute very well. I think they are a game breaker away from consistently challenging the all blacks for #1 and maybe need a bit more outright speed. But in a rwc, anything can happen.

Compared to last year, aus are much improved and we have more improvement in us. Defence and our scrum have been highlights, surprisingly. Attack is mixed, we can see what we can do at times, but at other times it’s clunky. The pieces are mostly there for us. Anyways, think to how we felt this time 12 months ago when we struggled to beat Italy or 24 months ago when we were spanked 3 nil by the poms, I take this year every time.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Soccer is the world game and there is plenty 0-0 draws , they don't constant change the rules to make it a better "product"
The beauty is today it might be 9-6 next day 45-37, next game 21-18
So many styles and ways to win that's the beauty of it .
Australia traditionally play A very attractive brand ireland not so, isn't that the beauty clash of styles
Otherwise we can watch league where you can disengage the Brain for 80mins

I think league is making inroads. Did you see the hype around the crowds in the Pacific clash last night?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Super Rugby might be playing out under hospice care in front of empty stadiums in no-fucks-given Singapore etc but at least there's the potential for something exciting to happen on the field. I tune into NH rugby once or twice a season to see what happened to Blues escapees like Frank Halai and Charles Piutau and Steven FUCKING Luatua. After about 10 minutes of scrum resets, walking, yawning, torpor, dropped pill, rain, crying, bit more walking, drinks breaks, another 6 minutes of scrum resets (now THIS is a contest for the ball!) geez I wonder whats on the other channel. Why are so many people at the games? There must be literally nothing else to do in town.
Piutau is clearly bored out of his fucking mind. Him and Halai no longer needed their express speed in the prop, flop and waddle leagues so gave the fuck up and put on 20 kegs. They're now like Elvis in fucken 1978.
History? Tradition? You think Steven Luatua gives a flying fuck about some bogsnot Bristol parks and rec frozen tundra misery hole? CHING CHING MOTHERFUCKER

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think league is making inroads. Did you see the hype around the crowds in the Pacific clash last night?

Ya I did , and it is.
Is easily marketable for them , is joe soap going to be more interested in a cross town Sydney nrl game o, broncos vs comboys
Or reds at 2 am vs a team in opposite side of the world .

We need to play 5 nz vs 5 oz maybe an islander team , home and away . Home game every second weekend . All local rivalry games .

League is dead in Europe and going now here only backwards
Europe is gaining popular across Europe and in. On traditional sectors of traditional countries at a rate of knots

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I find 80 point rugby bloody boring. I'd say the most exciting game I've ever seen was our 99 semi and not a single try was scored. Super rugby has mostly test calibre attack and nowhere near test calibre defense.

If you go back far enough, trys were worth zero, so they haven't always been a point of obsession.

Couldn't agree more. When I first started playing rugby, tries were worth 3 points (same as penalties and field goals). They were increased to 4 to encourage more tries and then to 5 for the same reason. In my view, increasing the value of the try as opposed to a penalty goal actually encourages offending in the red zone.

Anyone who didn't think that last night wasn't a great sporting contest is hard to please. Possibly they're following the wrong sport as historcially (i.e. over the past century or more) rugby tests have been quite low scoring affairs.

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
Super Rugby might be playing out under hospice care in front of empty stadiums in no-fucks-given Singapore etc but at least there's the potential for something exciting to happen on the field. I tune into NH rugby once or twice a season to see what happened to Blues escapees like Frank Halai and Charles Piutau and Steven FUCKING Luatua. After about 10 minutes of scrum resets, walking, yawning, torpor, dropped pill, rain, crying, bit more walking, drinks breaks, another 6 minutes of scrum resets (now THIS is a contest for the ball!) geez I wonder whats on the other channel. Why are so many people at the games? There must be literally nothing else to do in town.
L
Piutau is clearly bored out of his fucking mind. Him and Halai no longer needed their express speed in the prop, flop and waddle leagues so gave the fuck up and put on 20 kegs. They're now like Elvis in fucken 1978.
History? Tradition? You think Steven Luatua gives a flying fuck about some bogsnot Bristol parks and rec frozen tundra? CHING CHING MOTHERFUCKER

Maybe so. but why so is super rugby going backwards in popularity here and growing at a huge rate in Europe

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
This is the only country where there's a constant discussion regardkng making the "product" more "entertaining".

In my view rugby was really popular in Aus when the wallabies were reliably good at it, and the idea that style or brand of rugby needs to be considered at length is largely bullshit. Bill Pulver regularly spoke in about " attractive running rugby" as if that was more important than winning and I thought that was stupid.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

A point I've made many times on various threads, but the ARU and the NSWRU are seemingly oblivious to that part of the world. The fact that Penrith Junior RL print their code of conduct in English, Tongan and Samoan might be something of a clue to the demographic there?;)

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
"White courtesy telephone call for a Mr Shiggins, white courtesy telephone for Mr Shiggins."

Typo but my point remains , rugby union popularity is growing hugely in Europe
And growing in areas of the traditional countries where it was never popular
And there is no talk about "product" and "entertainment" and the stadiums byand large don't force feed you the "atmosphere" thru the PA , that's actually created by the fans in full stadiums

And my question/point remains why is it growing there and regressing here , especially if you are correct and it's not "entertaining"

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I agree, I don't see any real need for it. I don't think giving the receiving team a big advantage is really necessary there.
Exactly. There was slight contact, but he was lifted into a dangerous position. If they both left the ground unaided we wouldn't have this predicament. He only landed on his head because the bloke who lifted him put him a dangerous position. Ban lifting on restarts

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I find 80 point rugby bloody boring. I'd say the most exciting game I've ever seen was our 99 semi and not a single try was scored. Super rugby has mostly test calibre attack and nowhere near test calibre defense.

If you go back far enough, trys were worth zero, so they haven't always been a point of obsession.
That's your take, but a penalty goal fest is hardly going to complete with afl or nrl in a very competitive Australian market. Try's became worth more than goals because very few people get excited by a kick at goal

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I think a factor in the struggle Australian rugby union has is the incessant and institutional complaining about the referees. It has created a narrative that the game is too complicated for people to be bothering with it. There are supporters of every side who moan about referees (wrongly for the most part, imho, because I think the general standard of refereeing is much higher than the received wisdom) but Australia and Wales are the only nations that have such a negative attitude to the referees. It doesn’t matter too much in Wales because there really aren’t too many options for punters and rugby really is the National sport, but in Australia, where you have plenty of other sports that are much simpler for the layman to comprehend, the narrative that the referee hasn’t a clue, or worse, is biased/ crooked, is harmful for the game. Cheika didn’t carry on about referees, when he coached Leinster, to anything like the extent he now does and I think a lot of that comes down to the rugby culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Michael Lynagh made the point on the English Sky telecast that Cheika constantly moaning about the referee must rub off on the players attitudes.

I thought Gauzere was the best of the three refs yesterday, but how Kepu can be penalised for stopping Murray scoring against the post, and it not be a penalty try is beyond my understanding. I agreed with Australia’s penalty try being awarded without warning for collapsing the maul in the first game but exactly the same thing happened yesterday and it was only a penalty for Ireland, and no yellow.

Ireland were, certainly, not favoured by any of the referees but Schmidt made only passing, oblique references to it..

This may be true. But since the introduction of the post pads rule, that says that the tryline goes in front of the posts and stretches out into the field of play has resulted in a situation where, as long as you can get close enough to the front of the post at a tackle/ruck it is impossible for a defending team to stop a try being scored without infringing.

The interpretation introduction was very poorly thought through. It is very simply corrected, just have the tryline go behind the posts instead of in front of them. Players will stop trying to milk an unopposed try and defenders will be able to legally defend bash runners close to the line. I can think of no unintended consequences and people will go back to trying to play rugby rather than playing outside the spirit of the game.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
This may be true. But since the introduction of the post pads rule, that says that the tryline goes in front of the posts and stretches out into the field of play has resulted in a situation where, as long as you can get close enough to the front of the post at a tackle/ruck it is impossible for a defending team to stop a try being scored without infringing.

The interpretation introduction was very poorly thought through. It is very simply corrected, just have the tryline go behind the posts instead of in front of them. Players will stop trying to milk an unopposed try and defenders will be able to legally defend bash runners close to the line. I can think of no unintended consequences and people will go back to trying to play rugby rather than playing outside the spirit of the game.
But rightly or wrongly the laws are the laws until such time as they are changed. Saying the law is unfair serves no purpose, it is the same for both sides. The same with complaining about lifting at restarts, until the laws change those are the laws so just get on and play to them.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think a factor in the struggle Australian rugby union has is the incessant and institutional complaining about the referees. It has created a narrative that the game is too complicated for people to be bothering with it. There are supporters of every side who moan about referees (wrongly for the most part, imho, because I think the general standard of refereeing is much higher than the received wisdom) but Australia and Wales are the only nations that have such a negative attitude to the referees. It doesn’t matter too much in Wales because there really aren’t too many options for punters and rugby really is the National sport, but in Australia, where you have plenty of other sports that are much simpler for the layman to comprehend, the narrative that the referee hasn’t a clue, or worse, is biased/ crooked, is harmful for the game. Cheika didn’t carry on about referees, when he coached Leinster, to anything like the extent he now does and I think a lot of that comes down to the rugby culture.

Yeah, I get you like to lob in once every year or two, have a crow, then disappear again, but this is arrant nonsense. From reading social media today there is plenty of evidence of a lot of Irish whining about the reffing, and lack or more cards; Shag Hansen has had a go at the reffing of late; you must have missed the furore and IRB apology to error re the All Blacks in 2007 after a cacophony of whining about Barnes. It happens everywhere. Spare me the sanctimony.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Very insightful analysis of one of the problems with rugby in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.