• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Ireland - 3rd test - Saturday 23rd June 2018 - Sydney Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
That's your take, but a penalty goal fest is hardly going to complete with afl or nrl in a very competitive Australian market. Try's became worth more than goals because very few people get excited by a kick at goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the 99 RWC semi against SA wasn't a thrilling match?? Are you high?

There's no connection between number of trys scored and how entertaining a match is, but if you think number of trys is important, Im just gonna leave this here, averages for the wallabies:
LYvhzeE.png

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
He hasn't been cited for it Grant, apparently another one.
His been cited as the other one would haveeant he received two yellow cards in the game. Making the second a red, as he only surved 10 min he will get 2 weeks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Some things to really consider about kick Chase's, just ban lifting and jumping all together. That way no player can be tackled in the air resulting in dangerous play and no more red cards. Honestly besides tackle in the air and high challenges the game won't have any more reds.

But in all honesty it's always the player running with the kick that has issues, watch any tackle in the air for the last 3 seasons and it's always the player attacking in the direction of the kick who can't monitor all aspects to keep play safe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Because people have become disengaged as players became deskilled and the game in Australia became based on statistics and structures, on the back of the ultimate structure games of Rod Macqueen and Eddie Jones. They perpetrated the myth of running rugby and whilst Macqueen was in particular very successful with the constant recycle game and the strict structures it was a short lived episode of dominace like the Saffas kick and chase game a few years ago.

Now when the two strongholds of Australian Rugby collapse because of the constant politicking, unethical behaviour and infighting couple to poor playing results and skills people turn off and walk away. The best example is the total collapse Waratahs support from the mid Mackenzie years through Hickey/Foley despite the win/loss ratios being perhaps higher than a most times through their history. When the coaches and players tell you they are winning games and it is just luck without any real skill execution or improvements in such people get the shits. That could be accepted when nobody got paid for it, but when they are getting paid and trot out worse skills than the amateur forebears it grates and the fans walked. Yes some came in for the big games like the finals in 2014, but look at the membership sales in 2015 and you will see an average sized uptick followed by an almost complete collapse. Gone are the rusted on fans that fill the European stadiums week in week out. We used to have that, but those factors above scraped away the rust to try and find the shiny metal beneath, which simply did not exist.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
This is an article from the British, not Irish, Guardian newspaper.

The author is Bret Harris. He's about as British as Crocodile Dundee so I'm not sure where you're going with this. :)

I reckon his article could have (just about) been sourced from the pages of this very forum. There's not much it that someone hasn't claimed, or counter-claimed, from here.

For info, after leaving the employ of Uncle Rupe, Harris got himself another gig in Sydney. And he's still writing about the Shute Shield, Supe and Michael Cheika! LOL - good to see him still kicking on.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The author is Bret Harris. He's about as British as Crocodile Dundee so I'm not sure where you're going with this. :)

I reckon his article could have (just about) been sourced from the pages of this very forum. There's not much it that someone hasn't claimed, or counter-claimed, from here.

For info, after leaving the employ of Uncle Rupe, Harris got himself another gig in Sydney. And he's still writing about the Shute Shield, Supe and Michael Cheika! LOL - good to see him still kicking on.
My point was it did not come from an Irish publication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Have to add that Phil Kearns nonsense would have been out of date and offensive 30 years ago. There is absolutely zero chance that he would retain his job if he was broadcasting anywhere in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There was another game of footy on last night at Campbelltown where a fanatical crowd watched a top line Samoan team play a top line Tongan team in a game of league. The Pacific Islands have always been union countries but short of taking the top players for the AllBlacks and Wallabies I'm not sure what union is doing to support these nations. League is giving them a voice and an opportunity to shine in their own right. I'd be very concerned if I was part of the IRB. League is posing a massive risk in the Islands at the moment and union needs to respond!

How many of these players are actually based in Samoa and Tonga? I would bet that they are overwhelmingly based in Australia, where there are literally scores, maybe hundreds, of paid jobs in league for every one in our game. How many of them grew up in Australia or New Zealand?

What is World Rugby supposed to do?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, I get you like to lob in once every year or two, have a crow, then disappear again, but this is arrant nonsense. From reading social media today there is plenty of evidence of a lot of Irish whining about the reffing, and lack or more cards; Shag Hansen has had a go at the reffing of late; you must have missed the furore and IRB apology to error re the All Blacks in 2007 after a cacophony of whining about Barnes. It happens everywhere. Spare me the sanctimony.

Cyclo I think you being a bit harsh on Plastic, and he is correct up to point. I know there is moaning about refs on social media in any country (and I seen some doozys from NZ), but I do think he hit it on the head with the constant moaning at reffing by Chuckles, and I have posted on this here before, and I think it damages rugby as a brand in this country where he should be be trying to promote the game. Shag has had a dig at the laws of the game that he thinks need tweeking , but if you read it he was supporting the refs while doing it. When we have Chuckles making ridiculous statements like he tried to get refs at his press conference yesterday and they turned him down, do you think that does any good? Have you ever seen it happen in international sport? I certainly haven't. I will add the commentators like Kafe and Kearnsie etc getting at how Refs make mistakes against Aus all the time is bad too, it's not now and then but almost constant. Listen to people that have watched games of rugby that aren't rusted on fans like us, and a lot of them believe what commentators and coaches utter, and I have heard a lot who genuinely believe that Refs and WR (World Rugby) have it in for Wallabies. Chuckles for instant was still talking about Genia getting shouldered and having his arm broken , which is clearly not true, there is absolutely no shoulder involved in the contact between the 2 players when Genia was injured. It really doesn't help rugby in this country.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the ref had both sides baffled, he was equally as f*cked for both sides

This continual stopping and waiting for the refs to forensically go through the general play tape, meh

We need balance, if they find something that is a YC, sure, but the rest - just let it go

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A couple of points.

Firstly, rugby is more popular in the northern hemisphere because the teams, national, provincial, club, whatever all have long histories and traditions in the game. Super Rugby is a made up competition with teams that are virtually new entities in historical terms. Not many of us care all that much who wins and who loses, which is why the speed and openness of the play is so important to us.

Secondly, talking yet again about the adjudicating on Saturday night, the Oz rugby writer pointed out that the TMO virtually directed the Referee that time was up. The referee obeyed orders.

It looked to me as though the Referee was about to call for a lineout. Since when was the TMO the sole judge of time? That used to be the prerogative of the Referee<<<

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I agree with this quote:

Cheika took this defeat as hard as he has ever taken a loss, which showed what it meant to him and his team. While the pain was so raw, he could not bring himself to look for the positives. Others, however, can do that for him.
Fifteen months out from the World Cup, the Wallabies are building into a formidable team, perhaps even a great one. There was an awful lot to like about their performance on Saturday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.