• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Great squad - very happy with it. Glad to see Horwill captain and Samo, Sharpe and other players being rewarded with form.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Has to be both a question mark over his leadership and he may not be the best 6 at the moment.

Started to look like a bloody good 6 in that Bok game.

I predict Rocky will play a scorching world cup. The captaincy seemed to weigh heavily on his shoulders for mine. Not a natural looking type of leader. Horwill is.

I am stuck between being delighted for Horwill and pissed off because this is going to make your team better.

F

fatherted

was more a poke at the selection of 3 hookers. what will s finger do all month? agree with others that a finger wouldnt let us down at 7 if we were desperate

G

GC

I feel pity for the Americans and Russians having to face each of a fired-up TPN, Samo and Palu trying to earn their places in the starting lineup.

St Peter

Stan Wickham (3)
Does Rocky losing the captaincy mean that his test position is not assurred? He has played well recently but overall his form has been down. If he does not produce it will allow RD to replace him with Higgers much easier if he is not captain

Anyone else think he might give Higgers and Samo a start against the All Blacks next weekend with Elsom off the bench? I would love to see it.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I don't understand the "well done Robbie - tough decision maker" on the captaincy. Why not change captain PRIOR to the 3Ns? We were all saying it because it was bloody obvious.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Deans on the big switch (from the pen of Bret Harris, quoting RD just now):

"Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said the change in leadership had been made because Horwill, previously a key member of the team’s leadership group (also including Elsom, halfback Will Genia and flanker David Pocock), was considered the player best equipped to handle the all-round responsibilities associated with captaining the side.

“It is well documented that Rocky came into the Test season off a limited background in terms of preparation, having missed all but 60 minutes of Super Rugby due to injury,” Deans said.

“As the incumbent captain, he warranted the opportunity to continue in the role but it has become clear that the additional responsibility has been a distraction that Rocky doesn’t need.

“We all felt it was in the best interest, both of Rocky and of the team, to relieve him of the extra duties, with James’s recent experience making him the best option to take over in the role.”

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Mad Robbie said:
It is well documented that Rocky came into the Test season off a limited background in terms of preparation, having missed all but 60 minutes of Super Rugby due to injury.

As the incumbent captain, he warranted the opportunity to continue in the role but it has become clear that the additional responsibility has been a distraction that Rocky doesn’t need.

We all felt it was in the best interest, both of Rocky and of the team, to relieve him of the extra duties, with James’s recent experience making him the best option to take over in the role.

= "It turned out I was wrong."

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well yeah, but did Elsom not deserve some chance as the incumbent?

At least he's admitted he was wrong and made a decision to change tack. Perhaps not as pig-headed and stubborn as some might suggest.

I'm not necessarily saying he shouldn't have done it earlier, but the rationale isn't stupid.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
My guess is that this would come as a relief to Rocky. Also, it will give him more options to find a team for next year's S15 or Heineken Cup. I cannot see JON allowing the Wallaby skipper to go to the NH for a season, it would undermine the principles behind the Wallabys. I predict a big world cup from Rocky.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't think there is enough experience in the backs. Also with 3 of the 13 having not played due to injury, I think the mix is speculative and reckless. I would have put Giteau in for Horne. Even though I love the potential of Horne, I think it is a very risky call.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Lots of people commending Robbie here - I'm surprised at.

He's been in the job for 4 years, with many ups & downs over the course of this period. As far as I knew JON's aims were for him to get the bledisloe back, 3N back & the WC right - a tough ask by anyones standard, but not one which a Wallaby coach shouldn't think is attainable.

He's failed on the first 2 & it seems to have been a change tack over the course of the last 2 years that the WC is everything - i.e he's had 4 years to build a squad for the WC & a real specific focus in the last 2. Then, 2 weeks before it starts, he dumps a long standing wallaby squad member and changes the captain - panic button push if you ask me.

It may work, it may not.

I actually agree with almost all of his squad (bar Giteau inclusion) & its' got a real good chance of lifting Bill.

But the whole thing seems simply, fucked. Who gets 2-4 years to build a WC winning squad then changes the captain and drops a key playmaker 2 weeks out from it?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Well done Big Kev - you will do your country, yourself and your connections proud.

It is a big risk: not to have a reserve openside flanker during a match, or worst of all at training after the deadline period for a permanent replacement. Someone else like Samo or Higginbotham can rotate in the position for the last two minnow games. If needs be, one of TPN, S.Finger, Slipper or Kepu could even cover them as bench backrowers in those two matches, provided they are not needed to start, or to wear the 16 or 17 jersey. But they should not play unless the team is down to 14 eligible men.

I thought the rumour about only 3 locks was true - to cover for a 5th prop in case Slipper was dodgy - as I thought Wales would do something like that. They will likely take only 3 locks and have 8/6 Ryan Jones cover 4th lock spot where he has played before (and ignore 8. Delve). Then they could take the injured LHP Jenkins to the RWC with 4 other props.

It may seem risky to take all of the injured players Slipper, TPN, Mitchell, Horne and Palu to the RWC but we have done fairly well without them so far and the selectors probably have a better idea of their injury status than we have.

I was on record as saying that Horne shouldn't be selected unless he was able to play a lot of club games before selection time. He has played in 3 matches and although this is not a lot I beg leave to change my mind because I saw him play in the last two of them. He was promising in the 1st of those and was a commanding presence in the 2nd. His hard tackling was as it ever was and his attacking flair was grand - and both against a decent opponent.

PS - I started this just after the squad was posted and had to go somewhere; so apologies to others if they have covered the matters already.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But the whole thing seems simply, fucked. Who gets 2-4 years to build a WC winning squad then changes the captain and drops a key playmaker 2 weeks out from it?

Rugby is never static though MR. Players come in and out of form, and come in and out of fitness.

Giteau WAS a key playmaker until QC (Quade Cooper), Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) came onto the scene. Now he is excess to requirements, although he is unlucky to miss the wider squad.

As for Rocky, he picked up a major injury this season and is still struggling for form. As for changing two weeks out, I really don't think it is a big deal. These days the captain is not responsible for very much on the field, just communicating with the ref and inspiring his troops. It isn't like cricket where a change in captian has a huge impact on the tactics and direction of a side.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And we are bringing in a captain who is a provincial captain, and has just done it in finals football. Don't think the transition will be an issue at all. In fact, I can't wipe the smile off my face!

D

daz

= "It turned out I was wrong."

Come on Scarfie. Several people on here have been whinging and moaning about Deans not making the tough calls and for having the perception of inflexibility and inability to admit when he is wrong.

Then he goes and makes the tough call and suddenly he is being smacked down for rectifying his mistake? The man can't win with some of you lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.