• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This whole back row puzzle is quite exciting because regardless of your provincial stance you can construct several back rows that are arguably equally as effective as each other. Brumbie-ites can be consoled with the fact that a back row without Fardy needs Pocock and vice versa, but to have both requires either Hooper or Higginbotham which means no McCalman or Palu. And then of course there's the argument to have both Pocock and Hooper which is going to result in a kick ass open play but needs something outside the square for the set piece (although I only think lineout).

I actually can't wait to see what gets picked because whatever it is will be awesome..

abcde

Peter Burge (5)
In Fardy's defence, he's never been great on the stats but his impact at Test level is superb. I doubt McMahon's stats will translate to Test level - especially run metres.

Although 10 turnovers conceded is a worry from Fardy, seems quite high.

I think you've forgotten McMahon's impact on EOTY 2014. Easily translated to international imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think you've forgotten McMahon's impact on EOTY 2014. Easily translated to international imo

He was very average in the tests. Great in the Baa Baas game mind. He just doesn't have the size to be a top line test 6.
He is very physical and busy but just too small.
He was snapped up by McKenzie last year as pretty much the last decent 6 standing for the spring tour. We don't have that problem at the moment.
We have Fardy, Higgers, Jones, Timani, McCalman. Cotrell and probably others who will bring more to the table at 6 right now not to mention Pocock and Hooper who both would be played ahead of him as a 6 if available.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Not like I really know anything, but didnt the likes of Kuridrani and Luke Jones struggle in their first test matches?
I mean I also reckon Sean Mac was average in the actual tests in EOYT 2014, but so has many others been in their first tests.

He is still a very young man I dont believe he is the player to carry on at 6 so close to the RWC, but surely he could succeed at test level in the future.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Not like I really know anything, but didnt the likes of Kuridrani and Luke Jones struggle in their first test matches?
I mean I also reckon Sean Mac was average in the actual tests in EOYT 2014, but so has many others been in their first tests.

He is still a very young man I dont believe he is the player to carry on at 6 so close to the RWC, but surely he could succeed at test level in the future.

He could if he gets bigger, but we don't know what an additional 10kg will do to his speed and athleticism. It could make him better or worse. But at 100kg he's really stuck in the long line of sevens. Having said that, he might yet turn out to be the best seven. He's only 20.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Top blindside flankers at international level:

Jerome Kaino - 1.96 m and 113 kg
Liam Messam - 1.88 m 108 kg
Willem Alberts - 1.92 m 120 kg
Marcell Coetzee - 1.91 m 112 kg
Juan Smith - 1.96 m 112 kg
Dan Lydiate - 1.93 m 112 kg
Peter O'Mahony - 1.91 m 107 kg
Mamuka Gorgodze - 1.95 m 120 kg

Yeah, McMahon must increase at least 10 kg if he wants to play at 6 at test level

T

TOCC

After forcing myself to watch the majority of the Rebels vs Force last night I'm even more of the opinion that Jones should be given a run at blindside flanker in the TRC..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
After forcing myself to watch the majority of the Rebels vs Force last night I'm even more of the opinion that Jones should be given a run at blindside flanker in the TRC..

with our paucity of decent locks at the moment, I think we may be carrying more 5/6 type units with the hope of moving around some of the bigger, less mobile sides

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
My take on the 7 jersey.

If we aren't starting both, then Hooper should be the starter. Early in a test match, everyone is fit, energetic and accurate at the breakdown, which means the cleanouts are powerful and accurate, and support is there on time.

What's the point of Pocock then? It's the rugby equivalent of the Battle of Kursk. The opposition know he's coming, they're mentally prepared for it, physically ready to pulverise him before he even gets within 3m of the ball, and they have the energy and accuracy to do it. All we will achieve is possible injuries, a waste of his particular skill set, and the increased likelihood of him being penalised.

We'd be better off starting Hooper, where his running game is more use when we have the energy to be playing expansively, and need a 7 who can be that running link man to provide support where he's needed.

Games don't open up in the final 20minutes of test rugby, it's a myth. They get tighter and more brutal, and in those minutes, stopping a team's momentum and spoiling their breakdown is more important than running.

At the back end of the game, bring Pocock on against tired opposition forwards. The cleanout isn't as accurate, timely, or aggressive, so we would NOW be pitching Pocock's strengths, against weakness. Concentrated strength against a weak point will be much, much more effective.

When people are fatigued, they don't think clearly, and the whole team is more susceptible to group-think, and momentum is the greatest influence on team spirit. The ability to disrupt, slow down, and pilfer is of much more use in those final minute, because it's psychological impact is multiplied. It's spirit crushing to go 15 phases, minutes before the end of a game that you've thrown everything into, only to have some bastard latch onto a ruck you've not quite made it to in time, and win the penalty.

The style of his turnovers is important too. Rather than the clean pilfer, he wins more turnovers by forcing a penalty. In the dying minutes, having the opposition go 10-15 phases, make 30m of grinding territory, only for Pocock to latch on and win a penalty, is like a well timed counter-attack, a la Stalingrad.
We've drawn them in, tired them out, made them invest a lot of mental energy and the need for it to bring success, and then right at the crucial stage when they've thrown EVERYTHING at us, Pocock wins the penalty, the whole team gets a breather and a mental win over them, and we ALSO get to boot it 40m back up field and reclaim all the lost territory. PLUS you get the throw in.

This style of play is also much more strategically smarter, because you control the initiative. If your gameplan includes long periods of time where you expect to be on the retreat, drawing the opposition in before counter-attacking, no one FEELS like it's a retreat. You're controlling the game without the opposition knowing it, because they feel like they are by attacking. If the team understands this, the composure in defence is there as they're not under pressure mentally; they know they're in control and simply waiting for the right moment. It's also easy as a team to exploit the right moment, because everyone is waiting for it.

You go from absorbing pressure on your 22, to suddenly being on the attack with a positive mental status, as you've just achieved a psychological victory and team morale spikes. If we can then pick up points, it's even more effective.

Defeat them mentally, and the physical defeat is inevitable.

Pocock has to close games out, that is where he will be of maximum effectiveness, and it's also why I'd have my starting pack looking like this:

Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Skelton
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
Palu/Higgers if Palu is broken

Good balance of grafters with workrate, and impact players who can get us over the advantage line.

Sio = Big powerful ball runer with low centre of gravity.

Latu/Fainga'a (i'd go Fainga'a, because he has test experience and proven composure/leadership qualities, vital for closing out games. His throwing is also at worst, on par with any other hooking options, and he also brings those low chopping tackles that get Pocock in as 2nd man straight over a prone player before support arrives. ).

Holmes = Similar style to Slipper

Timani = does what Skelton does, send him out with orders to just smash people and physically dominate. He also provides massive drive in the scrum, and we are going to badly need a strong scrum in the closing stages of games, and Skelton is not going to last 80 minutes in test rugby, we'll get 50, max, out of him.

Jones = High workrate, lineout option for either of Simmons or Fardy.

Pocock = as discussed

Vaea = I know he's raw, but he's hands down the best ball running forward in Aus because he makes metres through contact, rather than only when he spots a gap. He's got incredibly soft hands, a massive workrate, provides huge power for the scrum, is very strong over the ball, and does all of it with aggression. It's also a very explosive type of strength, which is devastating against tired defenders because when you're fatigued, you may be able to keep plodding along but you don't have explosive energy anymore.

The strengths of Fainga'a, Timani, Pocock and Vaea are all very complimentary of each other's styles, rather than individual strengths that just don't match anyone elses.

Won't bother with the hairstylists, if we don't get the pack right they wont matter anyway.

If we go with a 5-3 split, i'd drop Jones for a back, as Simmons and Fardy can both play 80mins without issue.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Vaea is highly unlikely, too many better units in front of him, maybe November as back up for McCalman once Palu and Higgers leave

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I agree, but it's who i'd be taking as he fits the role i'd be wanting from the backup 8.

He's a point of difference. I like McCalman, but only as a starting 8, he doesn't have the impact i'd be wanting off the bench, and Higgers is a seagull, he like the front foot ball to show off wtih, but doesn't like the grunt work that Vaea seems to love doing.

I wouldn't be bringing McCalman or Higgers off the bench, only as a starter.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So Higgers is a seagull because he "avoids the grunt work" yet Hoopers seagulling and avoidance of the "grunt work" is excused as playing the way the coach wants. Hooper is the commander in chief of seagulling.
Pocock should start at 7 as internationals are won in the forwards. Having an 8th back in Hooper will do nothing when we are losing the battle ot the breakdown and getting smashed up front.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seagulling is only valid if the workrate statistics don't back it up. Hooper regularly tops tackles and ruck involvements. Although I'm not saying Higgers is one either. He played much looser at the Reds.

Cracking post Brumbieman, those are some points I've been trying to emphasis for a while.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think he should be in the extended squad for rugby championship - in fact I think all 3 of Mitchell, Gits and Smith should. Just to have more experienced heads in the squad.

Don't think Smith should ever be in the starting 23 though with Hooper and Pocock fit, or even Gill - Smith should be there as mentor type role.

George is obviously a very good player, but it's not a position we are short in quality depth and yes the rules have changed to allow him to be selected but that doesn't mean he should be selected..

So what happens if Smith plays in TRC and absolutely tears it up, and is the stand out. He did it before when he returned to the Brumbies - he could shock us all again

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Then you drop Hooper and deal with the indignation from Tahs supporters. Or drop Pocock and hear the whole world breath a sigh of relief. Or drop Smith and get this forum into a civil war, with people championing smith and their preferred option of Hooper and Pocock, or for the rusted on idiot, Smith and Hodgeson or Smith and Gill.

Status
Not open for further replies.