• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I laugh at all the people getting into Foley - his next best challenger was up against him last night, and what did Quade have? Dinky fucking chip kicks. He didn't even take the kicks for touch.
Had to reduce all that, as i said 10 is interesting, i said I'm up in the air about. If it was only TRC this year, I'd have Foley already written down and I'm not sure if QC (Quade Cooper) would be in my 23, as I'd have a 2nd five playing 12 (To'omua).
Given there are a few more games, and ultimately a bigger goal I'd look at how we could get QC (Quade Cooper) to his best, because at his best I'd have him as my starter.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I laugh at all the people getting into Foley - his next best challenger was up against him last night, and what did Quade have? Dinky fucking chip kicks. He didn't even take the kicks for touch.

How quickly even the Tahs fans have forgotten the long touch finders Foley was using to rape territory off the Cheatsaders when they were in town. How he has kicked the winning goal in a Grand Final from beyond his comfort range. How he's kept working and working at getting better, and helping put the Tahs into another finals series - even without Beale last night to help him run the attack - and never let us down on the most important thing: attitude.

He has had a bad couple of nights kicking for goal. That can be fixed. Those were technical issues on a given night (particularly the Cheetahs game) that he has ironed out.

His first half - ALONG WITH 29 OTHER PLAYERS LAST NIGHT - was substandard for 40 minutes. He was getting some dire ball from Phipps and not once did he disgrace himself in contact despite the pressure.

And then, after halftime, he and his team-mates went and fucking fixed the issues. His option-taking was superb and led to four tries in the space of 21 minutes. As utterly gormless as the Reds were, their defense was still good until Foley started running with the ball in two hands and presenting options.

But no, let's say "not international standard" and all that shit.

Let me tell ask you then: which of our flyhalves is playing to this mystical standard you all want? And let's be perfectly clear in saying that Quade flogging the Force doesn't count for shit, before you jump in.

Most importantly: the selection of our 12 will have a massive influence on who gets the nod.

The biggest question to ask yourself is, if you left the rest of the teams the same but just swapped the 10s, do you think either team would have scored any differently?

Well done to Foley for using the space and options he had in the second half, note that they were also space and options his opponent didn't have. Cooper had a ball to JOC (James O'Connor) in a similar position than what Folau got from Foley, and Folau beats four to five tacklers he shouldn't to nearly score and ultimately set up a try, and JOC (James O'Connor) drops the ball cold.

If Cooper had put in a first half like Foley though, the critics would be baying.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If Foley is our best 10 Cheika needs to take him out of the squad, and put him in a six weeks kicking programme, with the best kicking mentors he can find.

I still cringe when I remember Quade kicking out on the full at the start of the 2011 RWC against the Blacks. One error can lift your opponents, even when they don't need it.

T

TOCC

How quickly even the Tahs fans have forgotten the long touch finders Foley was using to rape territory off the Cheatsaders when they were in town. How he has kicked the winning goal in a Grand Final from beyond his comfort range. How he's kept working and working at getting better, and helping put the Tahs into another finals series - even without Beale last night to help him run the attack - and never let us down on the most important thing: attitude.

He has had a bad couple of nights kicking for goal. That can be fixed. Those were technical issues on a given night (particularly the Cheetahs game) that he has ironed out.

His first half - ALONG WITH 29 OTHER PLAYERS LAST NIGHT - was substandard for 40 minutes. He was getting some dire ball from Phipps and not once did he disgrace himself in contact despite the pressure.

And then, after halftime, he and his team-mates went and fucking fixed the issues. His option-taking was superb and led to four tries in the space of 21 minutes. As utterly gormless as the Reds were, their defense was still good until Foley started running with the ball in two hands and presenting options.

Let me tell ask you then: which of our flyhalves is playing to this mystical standard you all want? And let's be perfectly clear in saying that Quade flogging the Force doesn't count for shit, before you jump in.

Most importantly: the selection of our 12 will have a massive influence on who gets the nod.

Wallabies need the best players in the team to be the best team in the world and to have any chance of winning the Rugby World Cup, last night Foley's performance wasn't that of a player deserving the accolades of being one of the worlds best. Given the nature of the position and how the style of 5/8 picked will influence other aspects of the game, the 5/8 selection will forever draw scrutiny of the fans and public, so yeah as Wallaby fans will question his selection if and when he makes mistakes like last night.

Foley isn't above criticism regardless of what the other 5/8 candidates are doing, rugby fans will hold him accountable to the highest level because thats what the Wallabies need to be the best team in the world.

Those two rubbish kicks(and they were rubbish) if done against a team like the All Blacks in a Bledisloe or against England in the Rugby World Cup won't go unpunished like they were against the Reds.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)

Its aptitude not attitude which is the issue for Foley and that has yet to transpire. And kicking distance isnt a measure of improving as a player.

To suggest the Tahs fortunes have stemmed from Foley is absolute bananas (whether you are or not insinuating), given he plays behind such a dominant pack, he still has issues exploiting such an advantage. QC (Quade Cooper) behind a dominant?

In relative terms, QC (Quade Cooper) was instrumental as he played behind a competitive pack, light and quick, and a balanced backline in 2011 that won the final comfortably. The Tah had a big and aggressive pack with matching backs and won on the back of a dubious penalty. And the reality is, Foley was and still is a mere cog, who has the requisite skills nothing more.

In international terms, the last 2 Wobs wins against the darkness, had QC (Quade Cooper) at the helm behind a competitive pack. Foley's record isnt so great. Although, there have been a million 9-10-12 combos since, and the forwards lacked any starch, which aint great for consistency. Also Pocock played in both games #conspiracycontinues #poeyvshoops

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
When you break it down Foley is an average 10. I would rate To'omua, Lilo, Cooper having greater skill-sets then Foley.

But its impossible to compare given Foley is the only 10 who's had quality game-time the last 2 years.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Based on current form Foley will be selected in favour of Quade, and deservedly so. I do think Quade needs to get a substantial amount of game time in the RC to see if he can rediscover his best form.

In form, the combination of Quade at 10 and To'omua at 12 has been the best the Wallabies have put on the field for a number of years. Unfortunately. Quade is not in that sort of form atm and it remains to be seen how Matty comes back from injury as well. RC should be used fairly extensively to sort out form and combinations for the RWC.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
More than worrying over selections I am most worried about the total lack of anything resembling a decent backline play from the Brumbies. The dire plan served up by the Wallabies backline coach has me greatly concerned. The depth of the backline, the poor execution and the lack of depth support play. If the Wallabies play like that I do not expect them to beat any of their pool opponents at the RWC.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Then you drop Hooper and deal with the indignation from Tahs supporters. Or drop Pocock and hear the whole world breath a sigh of relief. Or drop Smith and get this forum into a civil war, with people championing smith and their preferred option of Hooper and Pocock, or for the rusted on idiot, Smith and Hodgeson or Smith and Gill.

I doubt you'll find many indignant Tahs fans if Hooper goes to the bench as part of the gameplan. Franchisitis is a disease that only affects some rugby supporters.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Meant from the squad entirely. 3 sevens in a squad is a recipe for disaster, it deprives of necessary depth in either locks, big flankers/8s or backs.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Meant from the squad entirely. 3 sevens in a squad is a recipe for disaster, it deprives of necessary depth in either locks, big flankers/8s or backs.

For the tempo game plan the Tahs seek to play Hooper is a far better option than Pocock. Hooper doesn't top the tackle count for the Tahs fo no reason. I doubt that Pocock could match that workrate. Yes he might get a couple of turnover penalties, but the Tahs plan doesn't contest the ruck that much unlike the Brumbies who play far closer to each breakdown.

If the Wallabies are going to play a more conservative game plan then Pocock would be the option. If they play a fast paced plan like the Tahs I'd take Gill before Pocock.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The notable omissions given its a 45 man squad:
Stirzaker
Timani
Harris
Godwin

And too many reds!

So there are 22 there..3 offshore players makes 25. So there are 20 from brumbies and tahs.

Name them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Big omissions:

-Lopeti Timani

Possibly unlucky:

-Mitch Inman
-Nic Stirzaker

Lucky:

-Nick Cummins
-Matt Hodgson

Very Lucky:

-Karmichael Hunt
-Teeter Faulkner
Allot of thoughts and all much the same though, yeah agree with regards to Timani he can play a Skelton type game and it'd be good to have player of that nature ready.
Hunt is an interesting one, agree but gee I wish the season was longer - I saw a couple of wows when he had the 13 on his back.

Haven't seen the list though, did it include the 3 OS players?

Status
Not open for further replies.