• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
More than worrying over selections I am most worried about the total lack of anything resembling a decent backline play from the Brumbies. The dire plan served up by the Wallabies backline coach has me greatly concerned. The depth of the backline, the poor execution and the lack of depth support play. If the Wallabies play like that I do not expect them to beat any of their pool opponents at the RWC.

That's your great worry?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am surprised at some of the Reds players picked-

Quade Cooper
Saia Fainga’a
Will Genia
Liam Gill
James Hanson
James Horwill
Greg Holmes
Karmichael Hunt^
Samu Kerevi^
James O’Connor
Rob Simmons
James Slipper

Why are two hookers named from the Reds, they are both good players but how many go to the world cup? Surely TPN and Moore will be added to the squad so only one would be needed.
I would not have picked Kev, he is not in form and is lucky to be picked.

To me both Khunt and JOC (James O'Connor) have been disappointing and I would not select either, they are too injury prone and Khunt will bring bad publicity (and a lot of it) to the squad and JOC (James O'Connor) does not deserve to be there based on form.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm surprised McCalman was picked, is that because he's a certainty to be involved once he's recovered or he's recovering ahead of time and might feature in one of the Tests.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm surprised McCalman was picked, is that because he's a certainty to be involved once he's recovered or he's recovering ahead of time and might feature in one of the Tests.
He hasn't been ruled out of anything at this stage and should be able to participate in most training activities after June 22

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Considering how much the ARU has wasted on KHunt I'm not surprised to see him in a training squad...........

No Stirzaker would point towards Phipps, White and Genia being the 3 halves likely going to the RWC.

D

daz

What angers you most?

So many places, but let's start with Hunt. Name one player in any fucking position that he is better than, and I'll happily concede.

Then can anyone tell me exactly why 3rd or 4th in form players like Genia, JOC (James O'Connor), Cummins, etc get picked?

That is just the immediate tip of the iceberg, but I'd like to stew on the rest of them for a bit before I projectile vomit them out.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Surely no one seriously believes Cheika will pick Cooper over Foley for the first Test this year. Whether that's right or wrong in their opinion. Certainty.

Without a doubt Phipps and Foley will be the starting halves (barring unforseen injury). I'm worried because a few years back we would rely on our backline knowing we wouldn't win in the forwards. Outside of Folau I don't think we're a threat anymore. Unproven halves at Test level (whose form hasn't been too great in Super Rugby), our likely centre combination has been either injured (To'omua) or in average form (Kuridrani) and what game breakers do we have on the wing?

Right now I am hoping we make it out of our pool, the best thing going for us has been our record against the Welsh.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Big omissions:

-Lopeti Timani

Possibly unlucky:

-Mitch Inman
-Nic Stirzaker

Lucky:

-Nick Cummins
-Matt Hodgson
-James Horwill

Very Lucky:

-Karmichael Hunt
-Tetera Faulkner

Agree re Hunt and Faulkner. Neither have done much at all to impress this season and neither have the runs on the board to get selected on aynthing other than outstanding form. I see no point in including either player in the 45 man squad. Agree that Timani, Stirzaker and Inman are all more deserving.

I wonder if Timani maybe picked up an injury on the weekend, to make him unavailable.

Do you really think Horwill was going to be left out of the 45 man squad? I'll be surprised if he's not in the final 31 man squad.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am surprised at some of the Reds players picked-

Quade Cooper
Saia Fainga’a
Will Genia
Liam Gill
James Hanson
James Horwill
Greg Holmes
Karmichael Hunt^
Samu Kerevi^
James O’Connor
Rob Simmons
James Slipper

Why are two hookers named from the Reds, they are both good players but how many go to the world cup? Surely TPN and Moore will be added to the squad so only one would be needed.
I would not have picked Kev, he is not in form and is lucky to be picked.

To me both Khunt and JOC (James O'Connor) have been disappointing and I would not select either, they are too injury prone and Khunt will bring bad publicity (and a lot of it) to the squad and JOC (James O'Connor) does not deserve to be there based on form.

Hunt selection is a joke. Rest sorta can be justified as they are either past Wallabies (Horwill, JOC (James O'Connor)), young players with potential (Kerevi), or are potentially first call injury cover (one of the hookers, Gill). I probably wouldn't have selected Horwill at all, though.

Slipper, Holmes Simmons, Cooper, Genia and one of the hookers will be on the plane to the RWC, rest probably dropped or kept on call as injury cover.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So many places, but let's start with Hunt. Name one player in any fucking position that he is better than, and I'll happily concede.

Then can anyone tell me exactly why 3rd or 4th in form players like Genia, JOC (James O'Connor), Cummins, etc get picked?

That is just the immediate tip of the iceberg, but I'd like to stew on the rest of them for a bit before I projectile vomit them out.
Yeah I wouldn't worry about it daz, it's the RWC 31 players plus another 14 blokes. There are a few that need to be seen to be there, as slim is alluding to, but I'm pretty sure Cheika will sharpen the knife for the next round..

D

daz

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it daz, it's the RWC 31 players plus another 14 blokes. There are a few that need to be seen to be there, as slim is alluding to, but I'm pretty sure Cheika will sharpen the knife for the next round..

That's not the point! I know they will likely be cut, but what a slap in the face to not at least pick blokes who deserve to be there.

Some of those names, for political or whatever reason, is bullshit and insulting to blokes who busted a gut for a shot.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do you really think Horwill was going to be left out of the 45 man squad? I'll be surprised if he's not in the final 31 man squad.

Yes I did, I would've left him out of a 60 man squad. If he makes the RWC I will be holding a protest.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Probably just the ARU saving a few bucks by selecting a bloke who's already on a topup who's not going to play any tests instead of another guy who's got to be paid extra to join the squad and who's also not going to play any tests.

T

Train Without a Station

JOC (James O'Connor) very lucky but on past deeds I can see him being in the best 45 (the 31 is a whole other battle)

Hanson and Saia makes sense when you consider there's no hookers from the force or the rebels in there. Moore and TPN will round out the squad.

Hunt has no basis. Poor selection based on anything we've seen.

T

Train Without a Station

Qwerty you're fucking insane, biased and have zero clue if you can seriously say Horwill would not make a 60 man squad, and be one of the top 8 locks right in Australia. That's basically every first choice lock minus the injured ones anyway.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
JOC (James O'Connor) very lucky but on past deeds I can see him being in the best 45 (the 31 is a whole other battle)

Hanson and Saia makes sense when you consider there's no hookers from the force or the rebels in there. Moore and TPN will round out the squad.

Hunt has no basis. Poor selection based on anything we've seen.
Yes agree with the hooker, look at last year and how quickly we had none. Good reason to have a large squad, and a squad it is.

T

Train Without a Station

Far too many reds based on this season. But I guess when it's a player in a poorly performing team vs a player in a poorly performing team with loads of test experience and who has actually performed (though not consistently enough) at test level, the guy with the experience gets the nod.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Qwerty you're fucking insane, biased and have zero clue if you can seriously say Horwill would not make a 60 man squad, and be one of the top 8 locks right in Australia. That's basically every first choice lock minus the injured ones anyway.

I've got Horwill 10th in the pecking order, 9th when you factor in Carter being injured

Skelton
Simmons
Jones
Dennis
Coleman
Timani
Mumm
Arnold

Status
Not open for further replies.