• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My take on the 7 jersey.
Utilizing a WWII analogy in reference to how you would play Hooper and Pocock?

man clapping.gif

T

TOCC

James Slipper is already booked In for shoulder surgery post RWC and by his own admission is carrying a number of niggling injuries.... This doesn't bode well for the intense draw of the RWC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
James Slipper is already booked In for shoulder surgery post RWC and by his own admission is carrying a number of niggling injuries.. This doesn't bode well for the intense draw of the RWC.

He's been going off early with an injury every game, it's definitely concerning. Give him most of the TRC off, Sio has had plenty of rest.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Holmes worked him over pretty well.
Sio and Smith are able and willing. Slipper will be there of course but Cheika will need to manage him. He hasn't had the best year.

I thought Palu was a standout last night. He also is only good for 40 solid minutes but it was nice to see him so involved and playing well.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
So Higgers is a seagull because he "avoids the grunt work" yet Hoopers seagulling and avoidance of the "grunt work" is excused as playing the way the coach wants. Hooper is the commander in chief of seagulling.
Pocock should start at 7 as internationals are won in the forwards. Having an 8th back in Hooper will do nothing when we are losing the battle ot the breakdown and getting smashed up front.

Hooper's tackle stats and workrate aren't those of a seagull, let alone the "king of seagulls". The fact that he runs in the ten channel on attack is irrelevant: that's where he's the most effective. Kieran Reid runs in the 13 channel and no one would accuse him of being a seagull.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hooper's tackle stats and workrate aren't those of a seagull, let alone the "king of seagulls". The fact that he runs in the ten channel on attack is irrelevant: that's where he's the most effective. Kieran Reid runs in the 13 channel and no one would accuse him of being a seagull.

Good read of play.
Id give them both the same score out of 10 - meaning my selection would be on game plan, and how we are going to win that particular game.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Good read of play.
Id give them both the same score out of 10 - meaning my selection would be on game plan, and how we are going to win that particular game.

I'd add this to the strategic thinking. Who will be our centres and how will we play 9-10-12 in defence. Now think through how this defence needs strengthening and which 7 ( and 6 and 8) works well in that pattern. I suspect we will need at least one wide-ish loosie.

Personally I like Pocock and Higgers, but it isn't the issue. Nor is the issue "who is most in form in each position?" The real question is how does Cheika want to play, who are the best personnel for this, then how do you plug the gaps?

Hoppers tackling record may well be (in part) because he defends an easier channel. But this may be just what is needed.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'd add this to the strategic thinking. Who will be our centres and how will we play 9-10 in defence. Now think through how this defence needs strengthening and which 7 ( and 6 and 8) works well in that pattern. I suspect we will need at least one wide-ish loosie.

Personally I like Pocock and Higgers, but it isn't the issue. Nor is the issue "who is most in form in each position?" The real question is how does Cheika want to play, who are the best personnel for this, then how do you plug the gaps?

Hoppers tackling record may well be (in part) because he defends an easier channel. But this may be just what is needed.

As you paired players here - If you have an 8 like Higgers I'd go Pocock.
If a get a rampaging Palu for 50 min I'd go Hooper.
Then what happens if Higgers is in 6 & Palu in 8 - and Higgers finishing off the game in 8 with Jones or Fardy coming into 6 off the bench? - -

At the end of the day George Smith to start with Hooper, Poey, and Gill on the bench ;)

# 10 is also an interesting selection - I think QC (Quade Cooper) with games behind him is miles ahead of Foley, but as of right now Id have Foley.
QC (Quade Cooper) gets better and better as players get time with him. Both 10s last night played behind different forwards - it didn't take long before QC (Quade Cooper) started kicking at the open space behind the Tahs racing D line. Interesting.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Great to see Folau finally running through attempted tackles, rather than just using his step, swerve and acceleration.

If he can do this against better defences, it bodes well for our chances. It would also hasten the day when he moves into the centres.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Holmes and slipper were dominant at scrumtime in the first half.

S;ipper towelled up Keps amd whilst Keps will be the Wallaby starter, Holmes must be the reserve THP

Foley IS the standout 10 for the Wallabies. QC (Quade Cooper) has done fuck all on a consistent basis to be a viable option (except the try at the end of the game)

Skelton is now really imposing himself on opposition teams mand favoured to start with Simmons.
Folau showed his class once again last night

Hooper or Pocock - fucked if I know - but I wouldnt have BOTH in my 23

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
It disturbs me how reliant all of our hopes and dreams rely on Folau at fullback for the wallabies. the only other option we have in his frame is Dane Haylett-Petty and while he is improving rapidly, he has nowhere near the class of Folau. So Mike Harris? Reliable but not much flair. Jesse Mogg? We could do worse, but that's no consolation... JOC (James O'Connor) playing dreadfully, or god forbid Kurtley Beale. So Please Izzy, don't do something stupid and get yourself hurt!

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Holmes and slipper were dominant at scrumtime in the first half.

S;ipper towelled up Keps amd whilst Keps will be the Wallaby starter, Holmes must be the reserve THP

Foley IS the standout 10 for the Wallabies. QC (Quade Cooper) has done fuck all on a consistent basis to be a viable option (except the try at the end of the game)

Skelton is now really imposing himself on opposition teams mand favoured to start with Simmons.
Folau showed his class once again last night

Hooper or Pocock - fucked if I know - but I wouldnt have BOTH in my 23

IMO Foley just isnt international 10 material. Failed to stamp any authority in the game lastnite, lacks temperament, creativity, defensive liability. Although he does have a decent running and kicking game, but QC (Quade Cooper) n MT have that plus the rest in spades. Jus seems to shovel on.

I suspect if QC (Quade Cooper) & Genia had been on the park all season without the interruptions it may have been a better season for the reds, but with such a weak pack maybe not, they would have atleast filled up the highlight reels cause of their decent backline

Could you perhaps illuminate the aspects of Foley game that assures you he IS the stand out fly?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Foley has a terrible kicking game. He muffs far too many, out of hand particularly. His goal kicking is very inconsistent.

Every World Cup winning team, without exception, has had a 10 who can kick goals, and kick for the line, long, and accurately.

If we do not have solid set pieces, and a top class kicker at 10, we will not get out of our pool.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hooper is a fantastic player but as a 7 he is miles behind Pocock. We need a 7 who can steal or slow the ball down or earn a penalty. There is no point having Hoopers attacking skills if we are getting owned at the breakdown and in the forward battle. The games against the All Blacks last year are good examples of this. They were getting quick ball and were gaining easy meters through forwards. The English, SA, All Blacks, will destroy us up the middle with Hooper at 7 .

Hooper should be on the bench and come on during the second half to work in tandem with Pocock. Going forward I think the Waratahs should try Hooper at 12, and try a combination of Hooper 12, Folau 13 and Beale 15.

I am sure if the coach wanted Higgers to play tighter he would. I also reckon if Higgers is seagulling and not playing the way the coach wants him to, he would not be in the team. Higgers is clearly playing the way his coach wants him to, just like Hooper is. So if Higgers is seagulling, so to is Hooper.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hooper is a fantastic player but as a 7 he is miles behind Pocock. We need a 7 who can steal or slow the ball down or earn a penalty. There is no point having Hoopers attacking skills if we are getting owned at the breakdown and in the forward battle. The games against the All Blacks last year are good examples of this. They were getting quick ball and were gaining easy meters through forwards. The English, SA, All Blacks, will destroy us up the middle with Hooper at 7 .

Hooper should be on the bench and come on during the second half to work in tandem with Pocock. Going forward I think the Waratahs should try Hooper at 12, and try a combination of Hooper 12, Folau 13 and Beale 15.

I am sure if the coach wanted Higgers to play tighter he would. I also reckon if Higgers is seagulling and not playing the way the coach wants him to, he would not be in the team. Higgers is clearly playing the way his coach wants him to, just like Hooper is. So if Higgers is seagulling, so to is Hooper.
Gee with a seven you don't rate the Tahs must have been lucky last year and this year.

T

TOCC

I couldn't believe Foley won MOM last night, his kicking game was horrible and against a quality opposition those kicks would have cost his team some points. That been said, he will still be the starting 5/8 at the TRC, but it's concerning how poor the tactical kicking game of all probable Wallaby backs is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
His kicking game is better than he is given credit for IMO. He can kick it a long way, and has improved a fair bit this season.

Last night he had two bad kicks, which were both total clusterfucks. But the rest were OK.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
People are so either or the selection of their 7 - and appear to be making their selection based purely on player, and not the game plan to beat win the specific game, or ultimately bringing back Bill.
I cant split the 2 - my selection is based on the specific game plan, and I'm simply stoked that we have 2 test match 7's.
I then look at the make up of the bench - are they both in the 23. I say yes but the curve ball I have is G Smith - if he has that demands inclusion having a player that can play 7 & 8 (and has also played test match 6) could be a handy bench player.

The other position I'm up in the air about is 10, looking at the Rugby Championships I'd start with Foley. But if we are looking to bring back Bill I'd be starting with QC (Quade Cooper) in the Rugby Championships. Why - Foley is safe and is playing good safe % rugby.
QC (Quade Cooper) at his best brings significantly more options to the game - but to be at his best he needs game time and combinations are important. He often keeps the play going when players around him are ready - it these plays that often result in points - but players need game time with him as combinations and reading of the game are so important. There is a big difference between both players at their peak

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I laugh at all the people getting into Foley - his next best challenger was up against him last night, and what did Quade have? Dinky fucking chip kicks. He didn't even take the kicks for touch.

How quickly even the Tahs fans have forgotten the long touch finders Foley was using to rape territory off the Cheatsaders when they were in town. How he has kicked the winning goal in a Grand Final from beyond his comfort range. How he's kept working and working at getting better, and helping put the Tahs into another finals series - even without Beale last night to help him run the attack - and never let us down on the most important thing: attitude.

He has had a bad couple of nights kicking for goal. That can be fixed. Those were technical issues on a given night (particularly the Cheetahs game) that he has ironed out.

His first half - ALONG WITH 29 OTHER PLAYERS LAST NIGHT - was substandard for 40 minutes. He was getting some dire ball from Phipps and not once did he disgrace himself in contact despite the pressure.

And then, after halftime, he and his team-mates went and fucking fixed the issues. His option-taking was superb and led to four tries in the space of 21 minutes. As utterly gormless as the Reds were, their defense was still good until Foley started running with the ball in two hands and presenting options.

But no, let's say "not international standard" and all that shit.

Let me tell ask you then: which of our flyhalves is playing to this mystical standard you all want? And let's be perfectly clear in saying that Quade flogging the Force doesn't count for shit, before you jump in.

Most importantly: the selection of our 12 will have a massive influence on who gets the nod.

Status
Not open for further replies.