• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
How can Cheika justify picking Genia over White? Genia has been poor for the last 2-3 years now. White has been consistently good at the Brumbies and even though his game at Eden Park was average, he showed in Bledisloe 1 that he was a game changer. He also offers a massive boot from hand and from tee which no one else in the squad can offer.

Genia has not been consistent (is that Genia, injury or playing at the Reds under RG? dunno), but he has a better, smarter kick than White (not longer) and has a much better running game

T

Train Without a Station

Mumm can be considered an out and out lock

I think Higgers and McMahon can both go. This means that White(or 3rd half back) and Palu miss out and we go with an 18-13 split, which is likely with Cheika.
McMahon is the 3rd 7 to give the Pooper a break and Higgers backs up Fardy and is an option at 8 to strengthen the lineout.

I would take Douglas in place of Skelton but doubt that Cheika will after so much being invested in the latter this year.

Surely a 3rd halfback offers more value than 7 loosies. 4 will play in a game. 5 on an odd bench. Still 2 surplus.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Genia/White misses the plane. Who'd be a selector? It's a shame Leali'ifano didn't get a chance to show his wares with White passing him the pill, Genia/Cooper and Phipps/Foley didn't exactly shine when given the opportunities.

T

Train Without a Station

This supports my theory that if cooper is 10, Genia will be 9, if it's foley at 10 then Phipps will be 9. Therein lies the justification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So his justification is partnerships that have never been tried won't work?

If Farr-Jones and Lynagh managed to combine back in the days of restrictions on test teams training, surely Phipps and Cooper could make things work.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Horwill has performed well in recent months and deserves to go but I reckon he will stay at home. Cheika will look forward to the younger guys

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Cheika does not have to justify any selection decisions. If he was really selecting on form he would have Stirzaker ahead of both Genia and White on form over the last couple of years. Jones would be a shoe-in as would Speight and McMahon for the bench.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah you're probably right Scrubber. Cheika has plowed 3 of 4 lead in games into Horwill but now he'll probably leave him home for a younger bloke like Arnold that he hasn't even bothered to play.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah you're probably right Scrubber. Cheika has plowed 3 of 4 lead in games into Horwill but now he'll probably leave him home for a younger bloke like Arnold that he hasn't even bothered to play.

Notice a touch of scarcasim in your post.

As you are aware I was critical of James in nthe past for lack of performance. I believe he has turned that around. If it was my call he would be on the plane, but my name is not Cheika.

Suppose all will be revealed about 11 am.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With White out, I'm betting Douglas will on the plane and we'll have 18 forwards including 5 locks (Horwill, Simmons, Skelton, Mumm, Douglas). Palu and McCalman will both go as number 8s.

13 backs will be Phipps, Genia, Foley, Cooper, To'omua, Giteau, Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell, Horne, Speight/Tomane, Folau, Beale.

Still not sure who is going to get the nod out of Tomane and Speight.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
With White out, I'm betting Douglas will on the plane and we'll have 18 forwards including 5 locks (Horwill, Simmons, Skelton, Mumm, Douglas). Palu and McCalman will both go as number 8s.

13 backs will be Phipps, Genia, Foley, Cooper, To'omua, Giteau, Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell, Horne, Speight/Tomane, Folau, Beale.

Still not sure who is going to get the nod out of Tomane and Speight.

It should be out of Horne/Speight/Tomane. I wouldn't be surprised if he left Horne.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It should be out of Horne/Speight/Tomane. I wouldn't be surprised if he left Horne.

If Horne has recovered, I think he'll go. Tomane and Speight are very similar in the way they play. Horne has more versatility and offers something a bit different.

T

Train Without a Station

I think if Horne won't be fit for the Fiji game he may be left. But if he will be he will likely go. Was first choice and whilst neither Tomane or Speight have been poor, neither have cemented a spot in their opportunity.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think if Horne won't be fit for the Fiji game he may be left. But if he will be he will likely go. Was first choice and whilst neither Tomane or Speight have been poor, neither have cemented a spot in their opportunity.

But did Horne cement his spot with his first start? I'd say Tomane was the better performer - but he is also the most limited player. Speight and Horne are much better defenders.

It's another tricky one in my opinion. Horne could cover 12,13,14 from the bench which might get him the nod - plus his super xv form he was clearly the favourite. But then I doubt he has the pace to score the try Tomane scored.

Speight is by far the most rounded, just as good defender as Horne (if not better) and a better attacker - but also the poorest performer out of the 3 at Test level.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Cheika only took one, since Mitchells kicking ability would probably make him first choice anyway.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Cheika does not have to justify any selection decisions. If he was really selecting on form he would have Stirzaker ahead of both Genia and White on form over the last couple of years. Jones would be a shoe-in as would Speight and McMahon for the bench.
Spoken like a Rebel's fan, Stirzaker has not been playing better then White .. Ever.. not just the last few years..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I agree completely that if they still think Horne is a month away he'll be left out. It's hard to imagine that is the case though. All reports suggested his injury wasn't serious.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Chieka stated in his TV interview Horne and Genia were back to full fitness this week.

On that basis, Horne will definitely be in the squad.

The only argument for taking both Tomane and Speight seems to be that leaving one of them out is harsh on that person. They're not our first choice wing pairing and possibly neither of them will be in our first choice pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.