• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The general theme of the discussions is that many people have just been waiting for Pocock to return to punt Hooper from the starting XV. I think the fan comments are very likely to go in the direction of Pocock all season regardless of how well Hooper plays.

Let's just take it one week at a time. I like to think I'm going to be as unbiased as possible in determining which player has been the better 7 by season's end. I'll admit I'm a Pocock mark, but if Hooper outplays Pocock I think most people will recognise. He has just as many fans as detractors on this site.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Alright every week I'm going to update a XV I consider to be the best in Super Rugby thus far. Couple rules, no reputations at all, a 100 Test player is considered the same as a 0 Test player, has to picked in the same position they're playing in (locks/wings flexible).

1. Scott Sio
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. Luke Jones
5. Lopeti Timani
6. Sean McMahon
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nic White
10. Matt To'omua
11. Rob Horne
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Mike Harris

I feel a little bad not picking more Rebels given their win but the Brumbies were just so dominant.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Hooper v Pocock or Pocock v hooper has a long long way to go.

First round points of a twelve round bout go to Pocock
Bam Bam is clearly ahead on points after the first round. To throw some perspective around it, I reckon Dame Edna would have looked pretty good as the Ponies OSF on Friday night.

From a Gold perspective, I'm a little worried about a pack of piggies that are nearly all Wallabies, but can't execute the basics beyond a 1/2 decent set piece. It is a little early to panic, but there really needs to be a big lift in performance by many Wallaby incumbents, mostly from NSW, in round 2 of Super Rugby. There is not a great deal of time left to prepare alternate players if the incumbents are dumped for form Super Rugby players.

I'm heartened to a degree about the shizzen performances by the Tahs and Reds players by the Ma'a Nonu effect. He plays ordinary footy at Super Level, but nearly always manages to deliver when on the International Stage. There is nothing magical about wearing a Black Jumper that makes Ma'a a better player when not on club duty. It's his attitude and approach to the game, and the environment he is in that is the difference. Will our Round 1 slacko's be able to deliver the Ma'a Nonu effect?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Alright every week I'm going to update a XV I consider to be the best in Super Rugby thus far. Couple rules, no reputations at all, a 100 Test player is considered the same as a 0 Test player, has to picked in the same position they're playing in with consideration for a LH and TH lock.

1. Scott Sio
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. Sam Wykes
5. Lopeti Timani
6. Sean McMahon
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nic White
10. Matt To'omua
11. Rob Horne
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Mike Harris

I feel a little bad not picking more Rebels given their win but the Brumbies were just so dominant.

I didn't rates Wykes' performance at all on the weekend.........

Coleman, Carter or even Jones or Arnold might be better picks.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just for comparison sake here was Paul Cully's team of the week:

1. Scott Sio (Brumbies)
2. Josh Mann-Rea (Brumbies)
3. Laurie Weeks (Rebels)
4. Lopeti Timani (Rebels)
5. Adam Coleman (Force)
6. Sean McMahon (Rebels)
7. David Pocock (Brumbies)
8. Ben McCalman (Force)
9. Nic White (Brumbies)
10. Matt To'omua (Brumbies)
11. Joseph Tomane (Brumbies)
12. Christian Lealiifano (Brumbies)
13. Tamati Ellison (Rebels)
14. Luke Morahan (Force)
15. Robbie Coleman (Brumbies)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Harsh on TPN. His set piece was excellent and tackled strongly. Fair enough on Jones he probably did just pip Wykes.

Adam Coleman dropped a lot of ball

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hooper , Pocock , Gill , Hodgson , Alcock , C Fainga'a ....bring it on !!!! I think everyone will be dragged along for the ride ...expecting some quality rugby from the 7's ... come to think of it the locks seemed to have lifted a gear ... Carter seemed energised , Jones & Timani held their own against the Crusaders pairing , Coleman putting his hands up (Wykes in the frame but captaincy may have weighed him down) .... Simmons to return down the track (I like him ) Big Will looked a lot more mobile due to training ( & Jenny Craig ?) , Horwill ...I will forget the Brumbies game if he will , still has a lot to offer and will likely be a selection base line for the rest to attempt to climb over ...Also Liked the look of Fardy , MacMahon ,Higgers & McCalman . I don't understand the dark arts of the front row (I'm 6ft 3) so I won't comment except to say they seem more capable of knocking back schooners than back rowers . I think the standard of play across the Super 15 will reach another level as players have a crack at RWC selection resulting in the Waratahs being battered and tested at every opportunity as I suspect many will attempt to bring out an inner "Brad Thorn" or "Chuck Norris" if it exists in any of our contenders for RWC Jerseys ...Hope this is a great year for Rugby , make the most of it lads !

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Big Kev needs to shave off the (Sydney) Inner West Craft Beer Brewing Hipster beard.

A 2 or 3 day stubble growth can cause skin rash in opponents and can be deployed to advantage in the Dark Arts of the game.

The Lumberjack look is only good for the "Big Beard Competition" when on an extended tour.

Being 6' lots, and 17 stone and change is sufficient evidence of being manly enough for me.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pocock gave away three penalties as well so it wasn't all perfect from him.

Hooper made 18 tackles and was equal top in run metres amongst the Tahs forwards. He was almost certainly the Tahs best player.

The thread has well and truly given the honors to Pocock in round 1 and I probably agree with that but it was closer than people are suggesting.

The general theme of the discussions is that many people have just been waiting for Pocock to return to punt Hooper from the starting XV. I think the fan comments are very likely to go in the direction of Pocock all season regardless of how well Hooper plays.

But some very notable Hooperites were suggesting that Poey wouldn't get back to his pre-injury standard because of the nature of those injuries. Clearly, he is back in the mix so long as his knees hold out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm heartened to a degree about the shizzen performances by the Tahs and Reds players by the Ma'a Nonu effect. He plays ordinary footy at Super Level, but nearly always manages to deliver when on the International Stage. There is nothing magical about wearing a Black Jumper that makes Ma'a a better player when not on club duty. It's his attitude and approach to the game, and the environment he is in that is the difference. Will our Round 1 slacko's be able to deliver the Ma'a Nonu effect?

Might be a place for one only if his Wallaby form is demonstrably as good as Nonu's form for the ABs, but for no more than one. Even the ABs limit themselves to Nonu only.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
images

I think this may be the look Big Kev is looking for .....

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just for comparison sake here was Paul Cully's team of the week:

Had to laugh at Elison's inclusion at Kuridrani's expense. Every time Tevita got the ball he made good ground and his pass to Robbie Coleman for the first try just shows that he is able to set up outside backs as well. The complete 13 player and showed it all on Friday night again.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Harsh on TPN. His set piece was excellent and tackled strongly. Fair enough on Jones he probably did just pip Wykes.

Adam Coleman dropped a lot of ball

TPN was good, but I'd give it to Charles on last weekend's efforts.

I think you'll find that Sam Wykes dropped (much) more ball than Adam Coleman. Coleman had a strong game as did their replacement lock when he came on (Name?).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Name is Steve Mafi.. he got MoM in a Premiership final couple years ago.

Such a shame he's played for Tonga already

Charles? How when TPN dominated him h2h in the scrums and Charles threw poorly.

Tahs lineouts 10-0
Force lineouts 11-4

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh the battle for the number 6 jersey was impressive. Both Cottrell and McMahon were superb. Fardy was good too.

I actually thought young Lawrie Weeks was the best THP. the Rebel scrum looked uncharacteristically strong against the Saders before he was subbed off. Here's hoping he's going to have a huge year (we need him to).

Status
Not open for further replies.