• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think Barnes is a bit off his best form, if and when he gets his old spark back the whole backline will be a lot sharper.

If and when! What are we going to do this week? We can afford at most two more losses and we haven't played the Stormers, Crusaders or Bulls yet. We cannot afford to drop this match.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If and when! What are we going to do this week? We can afford at most two more losses and we haven't played the Stormers, Crusaders or Bulls yet. We cannot afford to drop this match.
The assumptions on how many losses is a bit flawed, the comp is longer and we just don't know how many will be enough

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
The assumptions on how many losses is a bit flawed, the comp is longer and we just don't know how many will be enough
on a straight table standing we sit at 10th. not sure how many losses we can have and still compete, but we have now got to rely on beating all the other aussie teams, as well as picking up all our home games (including a few tough ones v bulls and saders) and trying to pick up some wins on the road. Either that, or hope for the reds, brumbies and force to fall apart. I think we would struggle to even scrape into a wildcard spot, and even then we would have an away semi final

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We are only one loss behind both the Reds and Brumbies, if we are good enough we can do it, this comp will be very very close I reckon

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Pakalani is playing 15 for Southern this week
that is (potentially) a piece of good news. It's great to have mre options, but I thought he was a bit hit an miss last year, and meanwhile Kingston has been one of more penetrative backs (has great footwork). Would you start Paka over Kingston given full fitness? (based on last year's Paka form, obviously)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would, Kingston has impressed a lot but I still don't think he's a winger. Pakalani would have better defence as well. I'd like to see Kingston come on at 13 in the last 20 mins.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

i think the focus of getting to the semis is part of the problem with the Tahs: they should stop focussing on results and whether they can make the semis and start focussing on fundamentals and execution. If you do the fundamentals correctly and you play with commitment the results take care of themselves.
I realise they have to sell themselves and that guys/girls posting on here are probably not part of the team but there is an unhealthy obsession with the outcome - focussing on outcomes leads to the taking of shortcuts.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
i think the focus of getting to the semis is part of the problem with the Tahs: they should stop focussing on results and whether they can make the semis and start focussing on fundamentals and execution. If you do the fundamentals correctly and you play with commitment the results take care of themselves.
I realise they have to sell themselves and that guys/girls posting on here are probably not part of the team but there is an unhealthy obsession with the outcome - focussing on outcomes leads to the taking of shortcuts.

I agree, and apart from the Force game the Tahs have been playing some pretty good rugby

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Some of their Sharpie type ball running one or two from the ruck has been dominant. Their forwards have played well whenever they weren't tardy getting to their rucks and now and then watching opponents counter-ruck and being surprised every time. Sometimes these things happened together, which makes sense.

Apart from that and lineout malfunctions which come and go, the problem is with the backs.

I always thought Barnes was a natural Kiwi type 2nd five - a hybrid player who doesn't have the main responsibility of running the backline but can help the first-five (flyhalf) like a chief of staff in the army helps the general. He can see things a split second later that the flyhalf who is passing the ball to him and change the plan on the run. He is able to run to stop the drift though doesn't crash ball a lot like the classic 12, but prefers to start forward and draw the man to facilitate the work of the runner outside him.

This type of 12 has to stand deeper than the Tom Carters or Nathan Greys who get the ball flat to the tackle line. When he gets to play 10 he craves the depth that he had at 12. Or he could be a flyhalf like Lynagh and feels more comfortable working from there as a puppet master rather than the Quade Cooper matador putting the sword in over the horns..

But I digress. Barnes is a considerable player but he is not running the backline well. Sometimes he is so deep that opponents like the Sharks don't even bother rushing, but let the Tahs backs do all their fancy moves before they get to them having read them like a comic book.

To create deception the Tahs' backs have to operate closer to the tackle line and do things earlier. Then, even if a move doesn't work, the breakdown is a couple of metres more in front of their own players and opponents can't come rushing in so easily to get the hit in the tackle/ruck.

Barnes had this problem last year too before his injury. I was looking forward to seeing Gaffney resolve the matter and get him playing flatter but he hasn't. Also some of Barnes' passing has been sub-standard at, or even behind, the man. He's not kicking from hand well either; same as last year.

Barnes is not the only reason the backs aren't functioning, but playing flatter and passing in front of the man should improve matters: he had a poor game against the Chiefs.

As for the other backs: there have been glimpses from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kingston and Carter breaking through, and also new guy Foley who should should offer himself more, though to be fair he is learning his trade at the pro level in XVs.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When I saw we weren't playing the Blues and Lions this year as I was quite happy with that as I expected them both to push top 6 spot.. well how wrong was that. They're both last and have only 1 win each.

Reactions: mjw

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Am I the only person who thinks we could try swapping Barnes and Foley just to see how it goes/until Berrick gets some form back. It worked well when he was returning for Uni, but I guess we don't know if Foley has the goods at this level yet.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Barnse's issue to me is just timing, he will get there, at the moment he isn't clicking at 100% but the decision making is generally right and the execution will come.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Barnse's issue to me is just timing, he will get there, at the moment he isn't clicking at 100% but the decision making is generally right and the execution will come.

Not sure how you classify a kick from your 22 that goes straight up or passes behind the man as "just timing". He's got just one more week to get his "timing" right before we play the Crusaders, Brumbies, Bulls, Stormers and Cheetahs. The last two are in SA. Our backline is playing so badly we could easily lose all five and right now you'd think we will lose at least three. That's us gone for the season.

Can Foley wait to see if Barnes can pick up his game? The season depends on getting that decision right.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
and what if foley isn't up to it? How long do you give him? as you say, there's a lot riding on the next 5 games - is it worth going from predictable yet experienced to completely unknown?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
and what if foley isn't up to it? How long do you give him? as you say, there's a lot riding on the next 5 games - is it worth going from predictable yet experienced to completely unknown?

That is just a measure of how tough this decision really is. The backline squad has been built around Barnes at 10, with Hangers, who plays similarly to Barnes, as back-up. But he is not playing well at all. Should Foley have acted two weeks ago? Should he wait one more week? Welcome to the world of head coach, its a tough place to be when everything is not going well. (Ask Link.) He's got four (at least) alternatives:
  1. Do nothing and hope Barnes comes good. Barnes is a very good player and very good players usually come out of form slumps before too long.
  2. Have a "rotation" and bring Hangers in at 10 with Barnes on the bench. Hangers did not play all that badly when at 10 and he would have Carter and Foley around him who are teammates at Uni. He's played with Carter at 12 forever.
  3. Bring Foley into 10 this week, move Barnes to 12, Carter to 13, Horne to 14 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 15. Radical but it might work.
  4. Swap Barnes and Foley, leaving the rest as-is.
Every one of those alternatives has its strong and weak points. My view is that it depends on what Gaffney has been trying to do with the backs this year. This is not immediately evident from watching them week-to-week.

Me? I'd go with option 2 and rotate Barnes out for the first 50 minutes and then, depending how the game is going, bring Foley up to 10 and put Barnes at 15. Last chance we'll get to trial something with an easy team before 5 crunch games. And the Rebels won't be that easy because they'll be looking for redemption after that horrible game in Canberra. Nuts on the line time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Barnes has to stay at 10.

Our backline isn't performing well but I don't think you could say that it is because Barnes form is average and it is letting down the whole backline. None of our backs are in scintillating form. You would probably say that Kingston is in the best form of the bunch.

I think it would be more of a risk changing things now than persisting with the current backline and hoping they improve. I think Barnes will get it right soon. Horne is also slowly getting better.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not sure how you classify a kick from your 22 that goes straight up or passes behind the man as "just timing". He's got just one more week to get his "timing" right before we play the Crusaders, Brumbies, Bulls, Stormers and Cheetahs. The last two are in SA. Our backline is playing so badly we could easily lose all five and right now you'd think we will lose at least three. That's us gone for the season.

Can Foley wait to see if Barnes can pick up his game? The season depends on getting that decision right.

That kick ............ I wonder what was the decision process as to why, but that is different to the execution of the kick and the passing - is all timing

Status
Not open for further replies.