• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
WJ - tonights game is a very good example of what I was saying about kicking. The Tahs hoofed the ball from their 22 down the field and it was fielded on the full by Brumbies wingers or fullback how many times. Marto, Kearns and Clarke idiotically harp on about how great it is that the Tahs are not kicking when they should be decrying the lack of quality in their kicking. The Brumbies on the other hand were able to contest their kicks or found acres of space. The Tahs without Mitchell, Turner or Horne went out to play "attacking" according to the commentators, (read non-kicking) Rugby but they did not at any stage have the backs in motion to support the ball carrier, run from depth or have the execution in passing to really threaten the line. They would have been much better off to kick for the line and play a purely territorial game, but the problem there is that Barnes and Mckibben's kicking from hand has been so poor that they haven't consistantly found the line to make this game plan work.

Secondly this game also showed something about the Waratah's attitude. The half time bell has gone and the Tahs have done enough to go into the half tied up. They switch off ready to go for oranges and Speight scores running through Barnes in a very weak attempted tackle and two other fall over themselves. Then we come out from the oranges which must have had a dose of Valium in the Tahs serving because they weren't switched on at all.

Anbody doubt that their season is over? Its all due to injuries though...........

Capt_Funk

Bob McCowan (2)
Anbody doubt that their season is over? Its all due to injuries though...........

the tahs are killing me - it's an exercise in pain and frustration watching them play. such a bumbling display from what should essentially be a very good team. and whilst his goal kicking is very good, mckibbin has to go. too many poor passes and "deer in a headlight" moments getting caught behind the ruck not sure what to do.

another lost year.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
the tahs are killing me - it's an exercise in pain and frustration watching them play. such a bumbling display from what should essentially be a very good team. and whilst his goal kicking is very good, mckibbin has to go. too many poor passes and "deer in a headlight" moments getting caught behind the ruck not sure what to do.

another lost year.

Captain I feel your pain...I too used to care. My solution is to always tip against them and that way you never completely lose.....and you often do well in tipping comps.

Gnostic: I'm a big fan of kafes but did you hear his idiotic comment at about 2:29 into the game? Something to the effect "oh its great to see that the tahs have come to play with ball in hand". This was within moments of an aimless box kick, of sorts, the only purpose of which seemed to be to get it out of the tahs half.
And who came up with the bright idea of Barnes crashing the ball up? I suppose at least he can't kickit while he's on the ground.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Captain I feel your pain...I too used to care. My solution is to always tip against them and that way you never completely lose.....and you often do well in tipping comps.

Gnostic: I'm a big fan of kafes but did you hear his idiotic comment at about 2:29 into the game? Something to the effect "oh its great to see that the tahs have come to play with ball in hand". This was within moments of an aimless box kick, of sorts, the only purpose of which seemed to be to get it out of the tahs half.
And who came up with the bright idea of Barnes crashing the ball up? I suppose at least he can't kickit while he's on the ground.......

...I heard it too. Kicking is not actually bad, if its done for the right purpose naturally. Look at some of the kicks from the Brumbies last night for territory. Brilliant kicks. Where was the criticism there? I thought the Tahs were going to make me eat my words about them being gone for the season after only a couple of rounds when they put in a good show against my guys. They just didn't bring it to Canberra. I agree re what many of said about a clean out at the Tahs playing, coaching, & overall organisation but is this possible? Is the rot so firmly entrenched that that would be near impossible to move it? The Brumbies had a clean out but by the looks of things their situation didn't go as deep as whats been going on at the Tahs.

Phil Kearns' injury excuse lines were pretty annoying to be frank. You guys had enough good players to get a win if they got it together & played the way they are capable of playing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Phil Kearns' injury excuse lines were pretty annoying to be frank. You guys had enough good players to get a win if they got it together & played the way they are capable of playing.

Yeah, they're obviously missing their two starting wingers... but otherwise they're fielding a full strength team filled with Wallabies...

No excuses...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah, they're obviously missing their two starting wingers... but otherwise they're fielding a full strength team filled with Wallabies...

No excuses...

2 wingers, 13 through suspension, lock, back up hooker, flanker. Fullback.

no excuses, they went good enough, but we don't have the firepower out wide.
the tahs were good with ball in hand in the forwards, brumes were just momentum killers with the penalties they give away. the Tahs should of given away three instead of defending for that 2nd try.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Surely kurtley has a get out clause, he gave Melbourne a Go, time to come home.

I didn't see their game this week but everyone tells me it was thoughtful and the resulting contrast with the tahs was stark.
Why would he want to Come back? Whats the hypothesized trigger for the get out clause?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
.p

How come no other side has as many injuries, year in year out, as the tahs, according to the tahs ( kearns being utterly biased in their favour)?
Either their s&c is as bad as all the other aspects of the joint or they're just making up excuses. Neither is satisfactory.

Capt_Funk

Bob McCowan (2)

i have to agree. yes the injury list is long but there is more than enough talent on hand. it's not so much that the tahs are getting beaten, more that they are the architects of their own demise - too many schoolboy errors. that's why it's so frustrating - their talent and capability is evident. i keep waiting for them to kick into gear and play like i know they are capable of playing. but each week becomes another lesson in disappointment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The injury problem is a real one. Our backline has been completely decimated and it showed against the Brumbies. Not only have we been missing Mitchell and Turner all year, the last couple of games we've been without Horne and Foley. Foley has been about our most dangerous back this season.

Our forwards controlled possession well and made plenty of busts against the Brumbies. Our backline just did nothing with the ball they were given.

To provide a similarity, the Reds really struggled without a lot of their injured players. Now that they have the Fainga'as, Mike Harris, and Digby Ioane (from suspension) back in their side, they look a lot better.

The Crusaders struggled in the early rounds until they got some of their key players back from injury.

The Highlanders were the form team in the competition over the first five or so rounds and then they started losing more and more players to injury. They're now starting to struggle.

I'm not trying to provide an excuse for the Waratahs. It's just as frustrating losing because you've got key players out of the side, but it is definitely a factor why teams struggle. It is not just a problem that is afflicting the Tahs. In terms of strength and conditioning training, I don't think that would make much of a difference. There have been many broken legs in the competition this year (one of which was McCutcheon), Fitzpatrick did his ACL, Alcock got appendicitis which is surely the most S&C unrelated injury possible.

The Tahs backs look poor, but I find it hard to expect that Peter Betham is going to come into the side and be a dangerous attacker when he's a club rugby player. Pakalani has his moments but he too has only had a few games of rugby back since a long injury layoff. Tom Carter's form has been poor the last two rounds and that has hurt us.

I'm as frustrated as the next Waratahs fan, but I don't expect that things are going to go brilliantly regardless of who is on the paddock. There are a lot of star players in super rugby and if your team is missing their key players it is going to be tough. We are fielding a terrific forward pack and they are doing very well every week. At the moment, I'd say we should be playing 10 man rugby and ignoring our backline to a large extent. If we don't have the firepower out in the backs then we should play through the forwards where we are strong.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The injuries to first choice backs definitely has an impact but that's because those backs are more likely to make individual breaks that may lead to points on the board. But it doesn't address the fundamental problem of the overall Tahs game plan for attacking through the backs.

The moves are dated and easily read by the opposition. Couple that with how deep the backs are standing and by the time they've gone out 2 or 3 passes from the scrum half and they're 10-20 metres behind the gain line with the opposition in their faces. Then the forwards have to run back towards their own tryline for the next ruck even when we have the ball, that can't be good for morale.

I'd like to see the pack Munster it up a bit. We know that when the pack keeps the ball they make ground. There was one really impressive rolling maul against the Brumbies but once it went to the backs the move broke down. If we attacked a bit more through the forwards and picked and went close to the ruck we might create the extra space the backs seem to need to get things right.

Might not be as pretty to watch and as a Leinster fan I love my running rugby but winning the odd game has got to be better for morale than a string of losses where we just look inept in the backs. Then when someone at the Tahs comes to their senses and realises Gaffney isn't up to the job the backs play can be sorted out.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pretty hard to blame those injurys on recruitment, Mitchell was expected back and had complications, Turner went down in ore season and barnes week before last, they added AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), in terms of line running backs there recruitment is pretty good. Ad Rob HOrne (suspension) and we also have Kingston who has been one of our best, it's nit a recruitment problem at all.

The structure of the backs needs to change, whatever there going for in attack, it isn't working and they need to think there way out of it.

Mate recruitment is an issue for the type of player we are recruiting as back up. The Tahs have been picking old heads, (Bethan, Trist, Perrett last season) over young talented youngsters. And those talented youngsters are getting picked up by other franchises or going to the NRL. (Crawford & Grant for example)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tahs should have a look at Tom Hill from Gordon imo, going very well in the Shute Shield

It's time for changes.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Mate recruitment is an issue for the type of player we are recruiting as back up. The Tahs have been picking old heads, (Bethan, Trist, Perrett last season) over young talented youngsters. And those talented youngsters are getting picked up by other franchises or going to the NRL. (Crawford & Grant for example)

Yep, so is the problem with having a 30 man squad in the largest catchment area. Tahs don't have unlimited opportunity so there always going to lose players to other teams. I'm not sure how there meant to keep everyone.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I didn't see their game this week but everyone tells me it was thoughtful and the resulting contrast with the tahs was stark.
Why would he want to Come back? Whats the hypothesized trigger for the get out clause?

It's one good game from 10, when JOC (James O'Connor) comes back they will be teamed up in midfield and there defense will be exposed.

Was just joking, although I believe players like Kurts and JOC (James O'Connor) wouldn't have moved there without get out clauses.

Status
Not open for further replies.