• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Given the length of the season, and the *erm* potential for injuries, my guess is that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will play a lot at 13 (alternating with Horne).

Mitchell, Turner and Pakalani can cover the back 3 very nicely (I like the idea of Mitchell at 15).

Whilst still a bit concerned about No7, I'm happy with the pack.

If the Sydney club grand final is anything to go by, the Tahs have the two form mature opensides lined up.

Despite being in the losing side, Pat McCutcheon was immense playing openside from 8 in that game (and the semi) and Chris Alcock was abrasive and dominant as well for weeks

The one thing about this squad that is really apparent is that Foley has chosen less kids and more hardened units. That is the big difference between the Tahs squad and the other Aus S15 squads to me. Even their extended playing squad has few kids in it

The usual questions about talent development comes up right about now and whether a youth policy is more prudent, we will see,

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If the Sydney club grand final is anything to go by, the Tahs have the two form mature opensides lined up.

Despite being in the losing side, Pat McCutcheon was immense playing openside from 8 in that game (and the semi) and Chris Alcock was abrasive and dominant as well for weeks

The one thing about this squad that is really apparent is that Foley has chosen less kids and more hardened units. That is the big difference between the Tahs squad and the other Aus S15 squads to me. Even their extended playing squad has few kids in it

The usual questions about talent development comes up right about now and whether a youth policy is more prudent, we will see,

Whenever mccutcheon got on for the tahs this year he looked like he was on a treadmill: to slow by a mile

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
agreed, but something happened towards the end of the club season and he got his mojo back, he was damn good

Hope ur right, I have never seen anything in him to think he was a long term option for 7, Alcock is better for mine, I don't think he is technically sound but his enthusiasm is infectious

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hope ur right, I have never seen anything in him to think he was a long term option for 7, Alcock is better for mine, I don't think he is technically sound but his enthusiasm is infectious

The more I see Alcock play the more I like him. Spot on about his enthusiasm, he's a 7 who is hungry for the ball when the opposition has it and hungry when we've got it... maybe he is underfed.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
his only downfall for mine is the fact i am yet to see him play and not get a head/facial injury. he loves blood more than waugh.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCutcheon was outstanding in the late club season, had a great game against Canada as well. Much more relieved about our 7 depth now.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's an odd one for sure, both Tilse and Ryan were quite poor in club rugby but I've been impressed by both when they have gotten on for the Tahs, might have something to do with the other front rowers they're packing with I guess. Can't say I'm worried about our front-row credentials when we have Kepu, Robinson and TPN. Yes we'll need more depth because of injuries but it's clearly the best front row in Aus atm.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Damn I wish we kept Palmer. Pot plant he may be, but its easier to teach catch and pass than it is propping.

Is it true he benched over 200kgs last week?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree about Palmer. I had a silent curse when Ma'afu left the Brums to go to the Force because it meant the chances of Palmer's returning to the Tahs were diminished.

Agree also with qwerty about the oddness of the Uni scrum performances since they seemed to do well for the Tahs. I remember Manly getting the hit a few times in one game but it was likely more than just that.

We'll have to watch this space on the scrums.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Damn I wish we kept Palmer. Pot plant he may be, but its easier to teach catch and pass than it is propping.

Is it true he benched over 200kgs last week?

I don't know about the 200kg but 2012 is the second year of a two year contract. That means we (Tahs) have to buy him back at the end of next year. Whatever it cost would be worth it. He is the best tight head scrummaging prop in Australia. The rest is just icing on the cake. If we make allowances for Quade's tackling skills why are we not prepared to make the same allowances for Palmer? If he went to QLD he would transform their scrum and Link would fix the rest. [I am not sure why I said that, but I bet Link is already building a war chest to make him an offer.]

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
A common comment on these forums seems to be "I wish we hadn't let him go..."

I think we have to realise that NSW simply cannot provide the opportunity to some players and they are forced to leave. For instance, Dan Palmer would never see any game time in NSW as long as Baxter, Robinson and Kepu were fit. So he goes to Canberra and becomes the starting No.3, or a bench player at worse with only Alexander and Ma'afu there. Same with Benny McCalman, He was never going to play No.8 for the Tahs with Cliffy Palu in front of him. He went to Perth and got an opportunity.

Sure some, may slip through the cracks, but I think there's no avoiding it sometimes. Players like Luke Jones and Michael Hooper were offered full-time Super contracts straight out of school by the Brumbies and Force, which the Tahs have too much existing depth to be able to offer.

As for Ryan and Tilse; I agree that they seemed to hold their own in Super, with the exception of Paddy's performance against the Bulls before coming off with a dodgy shoulder. He did go ok in the Super Semi, though. That Eastwood pack in the final was great, also. Credit to Longbottom, who has to be one of the big improvers of the year. He'd be a great get if he's on the market.

The one thing that gives me confidence in Ryan and Tilse, though, is the head coach. I firmly believe that if he didn't think they were capable, he would have sacrificed a player in another position (like lock/flanker where there are a heap of players) to stack it. He obviously believes in their ability.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Good post. One of the benefits of the two-year contract system is that players can move elsewhere to maximise opportunities when they are young without jeopardising their longer term future at a club if they want to come back.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah the challenge of a good program is that some guys who think they are ready will move to other franchises.

For the tahs it will be forwards, for the the Reds it is back three, for the Brumbies it will be 10/12

Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

Richo

John Thornett (49)
A good program would be one that produced results so the theory doesn't apply to the tahs.

The Waratahs have obviously been successful. They haven't won, but they've made the finals more than any other Aussie team in recent years. Not to mention that they've produced players who've gone on to succeed elsewhere as well. Should we be satisfied with the team's performance? No. Does that make it a bad program? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.