• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
it might be early to say this, but for the life of me i can't figure out why the rebels let betham go
he looks sensational in the ITM and will be a red hot shot at getting a waratahs wing perth with drewster the rooster on the perpetual injured list and lachie turner out n in.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I trust you meant 10 sessions a week. About 10 individual times is what I thought they would have almost reached this year, based on their game displays!

It was tongue in cheek. I have been appalled at the poor ball work of the Tahs for many years and their line running, and was disappointed when Gaffney didn't fix things last season. I thought he was the Messiah that we needed to see the Promised Land of using the ball, but it was the same old stuff: playing too deep, kicking too much, passing at the man or even behind, guys having to do bunny hops to catch balls poorly passed, and not running onto the ball.

The Wallabies back line is just as bad these days - yet the Oz Schoolboys were halfway decent with their ball work against NZ Schools.

Not to the point but I told the Tahs about the mistake in Lopeti's DOB on their website and they have fixed it. They had him too young by 3 years (I thought it was only 2). I'm expecting big things from him next year; all he has to do is curb his tendency to come in at the side of rucks, and think more clearly. Big brother looks like he's got on track after a shaky start to his Super career - let's hope that "little" brother gets on the fast track.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was at the Seti Tafua - A Night to Stay Strong dinner tonight. Absolutely terrific night put on by Norths to raise money for Seti.

Good to see a few Tahs/Wallabies in attendence. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Schmoo, Cliffy, Sekope, Sita Timani were all there. Drew Mitchell even won a big raffle prize but donated it back to be redrawn. Good on you Drew.

Clyde Rathbone was one of the speakers. Good to see him back in Rugby.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not to the point but I told the Tahs about the mistake in Lopeti's DOB on their website and they have fixed it. They had him too young by 3 years (I thought it was only 2). I'm expecting big things from him next year; all he has to do is curb his tendency to come in at the side of rucks, and think more clearly. Big brother looks like he's got on track after a shaky start to his Super career - let's hope that "little" brother gets on the fast track.

Right with you on that one, LG. I didn't see much of Lopeti Timani until this years Shute Shield when he was playing at Southern, and I saw great potential. More mobile than his brother and a bit more dynamic too, hopefully he's used as an impact player.

Still has the same problem with feet for hands as his brother though.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Matt Lucas

I think he was pretty much Australia's best player on the gold coast this weekend. He has an exceptional passing game and a very decent kicking game.

Will be interesting to see if he 'makes' it at the Tahs. I probably wouldn't have signed him due to his size, but there is no denying his skill.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Matt Lucas will be handy coming off the bench for McKibbon who does all the basics well (kick for goal, passing, decisions, etc.) but isn't flashy.

He'll add a ton of speed and unpredictability that can only be handy late in the game.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I still don't rate McKibbon, he isn't bad, but his dicision making slows him down and the team to much, he just hasn't shown an ability to read the game well for mine.

I still have question marks about hart, he hasn't cemented but hasn't let down.

I really hope Lucas can develop into something fast and that his sevens experience brings a running game with it.

Man I miss Burgess.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I still don't rate McKibbon, he isn't bad, but his dicision making slows him down and the team to much, he just hasn't shown an ability to read the game well for mine.

I still have question marks about hart, he hasn't cemented but hasn't let down.

I really hope Lucas can develop into something fast and that his sevens experience brings a running game with it.

Man I miss Burgess.

Yeah it's a bit strange to see Australia's biggest province with depth across the park sporting 2 journeyman HBs and a promising but undersized one.

Maybe they haven't committed to an expensive halfback because they know Burgeo will be keep to come back probably in time to play the Lions Tour.

Just a thought.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah it's a bit strange to see Australia's biggest province with depth across the park sporting 2 journeyman HBs and a promising but undersized one.

Maybe they haven't committed to an expensive halfback because they know Burgeo will be keep to come back probably in time to play the Lions Tour.

Just a thought.

If he was coming back for the lions tour he would have to be in the squad for next year. It isn't happening.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lucas is in the EPS and will be 3rd string behind McKibbin and Hart.

Ostensibly the EPS fellows should be used behind healthy contracted players in front of them but last year Rafferty's Rules seemed to apply. Whatever - squads are reluctant to use EPS players if contracted players aren't injured because EPS players have to get upgraded when they play so many games, which adds to payroll costs.

PS - There used to be a RUPA link which gave details of the constraints about using non-contracted players - and the consequences of using them for more than so many (3?) matches. Does anybody have a current source for this info?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
BOD? Unlikey he gets massive tax breaks if he stays in Ireland for his career. We could pay him enough to make it worthwhile for the guy

Status
Not open for further replies.