• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I call this whole thing absolute bull. After standing by TC through thick and thin, why would thy let him go? none of this actually makes sense, we have known that Growden is a rubbish journo for ages now, why is this suddenly legitimate?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scott Bowen saying Grumbles is off his chops?

At the very least it gives us something to talk about...
Don't forget Grumbles also had breaking news this week that Graham Henry was doing some work with Argentina.
Should change his name to Scoop.

K

Keithy

Tilse is at the end of his 5 year contract going OS, Hangers going OS, McKibbon going OS and Tahs trying to recruit Stirzaker, Pakalani and Carter.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If five people were let go, is it really that big an issue?
Mckibbon seems gone.
We have younger timani coming through and are trying to keep Dave Dennis so mumm could be in trouble.
Bracken Henry hasn't shone,there is three there.
Neither Alcock nor mccutch set the world alight at seven, one may give way for a recruit, that's four.
Ad a hangers going overseas and you have five, it's really not a death sentence or a complete changing of the guard.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Why would any coach tell a player that they won't play next year at the start of a long season, this is obviously a myth.

What probably happened is many players that are coming off contract have been told they are playing for a new one, which I think is fair and the players would understand that.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If they know there recruiting someone in someone else's position and the deal is done, I would have thought it would be good and fair management to inform the off contract player so there management can find them another gig.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
If they know there recruiting someone in someone else's position and the deal is done, I would have thought it would be good and fair management to inform the off contract player so there management can find them another gig.

So in the hypothetical situation you describe, wj, the motivation of the "good and fair management" at the 'Tahs in calling in the player and telling him he's working out his notice would simply be concern for the player's welfare and to make sure he found another gig where he would very probably be playing against them next season. I think that is admirable. A side benefit of this strategy is the boost it would give to the players' morale for the rest of the current season.

Reactions: BPC

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The player still has an incentive to play well even if he has been told he will not be needed next year, as he has to impress the other teams enough that they sign him.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Warringah are the 'affiliate' in Sydney. I remember Cipriani played up there last year.

Try to keep up, BJ. Alliances can be like shifting sands among some rugby organisations.
ISIS Norths will take on Melbourne Rebel Risers on Sunday 18th March at AAMI Stadium. Rebels Experience Raffle tickets now available ONLINE.

Following our strategic alliance with Melbourne Rebels, we are delighted to confirm that our first Grade side will be taking on the Rebels 2nd XV as the curtain raiser for the Rebels game against the Cheetahs on Sunday 18th March.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought the Syd Uni link to the Rebels was the ex-Uni coach there. Nothing more, nothing less. Happy to be corrected (by Brucie, I bet :)) if wrong.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought the Syd Uni link to the Rebels was the ex-Uni coach there. Nothing more, nothing less. Happy to be corrected (by Brucie, I bet :)) if wrong.

Ash, I think there was a perception of a link between Sydney Uni and the Rebels when the franchise started up because the Assistant Coach was recruited from Uni and there were other staff with Uni links. In addition the Rebels signed a significant number of Uni players.

Since then it would appear that the southerners have moved on through a couple of iterations as mentioned above.

The reality from Uni's point of view is that they have never had any sort of favoured relationship with any of the franchises. My perception is that if anything the franchises do the opposite; they tend to disrespect the Club and it would appear most other Sydney clubs.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
So in the hypothetical situation you describe, wj, the motivation of the "good and fair management" at the 'Tahs in calling in the player and telling him he's working out his notice would simply be concern for the player's welfare and to make sure he found another gig where he would very probably be playing against them next season. I think that is admirable. A side benefit of this strategy is the boost it would give to the players' morale for the rest of the current season.

If the Tahs recruit for instance a new 7 Bruce, and just hypothetical, they have Mccutchen under contract for next year but not Alcock. Is moral better for Alcock that management are honest with him or if there new signing is leaked in the paper and he finds out through the media?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the Tahs recruit for instance a new 7 Bruce, and just hypothetical, they have Mccutchen under contract for next year but not Alcock. Is moral better for Alcock that management are honest with him or if there new signing is leaked in the paper and he finds out through the media?

You really raise an interesting hypothetical this time, wj. I must admit that the concept of management, in sport or elsewhere, being honest with their employees is not something I have previously come across in practice. Conceivably it could work.

Perhaps what you are actually referring to is being "direct" with the player rather than "honest".

But obviously we're not talking about the Waratahs here:
Assistant coach Scott Bowen denied knowledge of any conversations about contract extensions between Waratahs staff and players.

''Not at all. We're still trying to work through what the system is next year,'' Bowen said.

''There's a salary cap in place. The Players' Association and the ARU are still trying to work to a resolution there. So, in terms of the five people who've supposedly been spoken to, it's absolute nonsense,'' Bowen said.

So the quite specific rumours floating around Sydney rugby are "absolute nonsense". What mischievous individual has gone to the trouble of making this up and spreading it around? There should be a full and open investigation.

Reactions: BPC

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the Tahs were dumping 5 players, they would be dumping players that didn't offer a lot to the team. They wouldn't be stupid enough to get rid of guys like Mumm, Carter, Elsom, Halangahu etc. They'd dump someone like Tevita Metuisela (30 this year), BKH (injury prone and not considered ready), one of their scrum halves (to make room for some of the talented juniors), Jono Jenkins (good tackler but not a good scavenger and not better than Alcock or McCutcheon) or Jeremy Tilse (been at the Tahs a long time but doesn't seem to have done much).

Anyone else think that McKibbin looks a little bit like Dan Parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.