• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It would get to epic proportions if mowen was a standout, he isn't, he is a very honest, decent footballer.

The contract saga was that the Tahs wanted to sign him for two years, him andhismanagement wanted to sign for one, the Tahs were looking for a longer commitment, Ben left and signed for longer at the brumbies. Readinto it what you want but to me it shows he felt his position in the tea wasn't assured while at the brumbies it was.

We have cover for him. I wouldn't drop Dennis for him, and when Elsom is back I hardly see how it could be considered epic by any proportions.
The thing I disagree with that you keep shoving aside is, Ben chose to leave. They offered a contract and he said no. The notion that they shoved money at Elsom or anything else is completely irrelevant as the contract negotiations with Ben were over before they made. Play for rocky
I dont think any of us forgets theovert order of events. But you forget that Elsom was declared as leaving thePonies, the Reds declared no interest and the Force was obviously too far away and had more pressing needs then and now for backs. The only options were the Rebs or Tahs. Go back and look where it was discussed as a possibility that the then Wallaby Captain would be left without a club for the first time ever. I stated then that if the Tahs did voluntarily offer Elsom a contractIMO the ARU would ensure it happened. Just read between the lines, no grand conspiracies just real world corp. Behaviour. Now given that why would Mowen want to stay? I must say Mowen is certainly better off in any event as another Tah season implodes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mowen wasn't going to start with the Tahs if they had their first choice available.

Dennis keeps improving, Palu is first choice lock and Elsom was about as well. It made great sense for him to move. He moved for an opportunity and good luck to him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
People are forgetting the fact that Mowen was only willing to sign a one year deal. He thought his playing stocks were going up and wanted the option to look for a better price after one year.

It was a shame to lose him, but given the circumstances and the fact that Dennis is quite a similar player who was also improving, I don't see it as a terrible situation that we lost him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you just look at it in simple terms we've done a trade - Mowen for Elsom. We're clearly not better off now considering Elsom is yet to play and Mowen is looking in decent touch. Elsom could come back and kill it though... It's another one of those trades I couldn't understand, another being Sidey for Cross.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If you just look at it in simple terms we've done a trade - Mowen for Elsom. We're clearly not better off now considering Elsom is yet to play and Mowen is looking in decent touch. Elsom could come back and kill it though... It's another one of those trades I couldn't understand, another being Sidey for Cross.

we needed 13 cover, not an average 12

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the two events were too far apart to say that Mowen was let go because Elsom was arriving.

I think Mowen demanded a single year contract that the Tahs weren't willing to go with and that is the reason he left.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's no way they would've let Mowen go without knowing they could/were going to get Elsom. We would've been left with Dennis and Palu and would've been a diaster.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
List of players tahs fans would like to see bought into the squad next year and list of players who will be cut/retire?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think anyone warrants cutting just yet, we had a squad good enough to win the comp at the start of the year but obviously injuries have stolen that. Mumm is probably the closest to go though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cut (let's assume the rumour about 5 going is true)

McKibbin (already stated he's going to Scotland)
Vickerman (he will surely retire)
BKH (he's been around a while and never really developed enough)
Halangahu (I think he creates more selection headaches than solves them. Barnes should be 10 and Foley his backup)
not sure who... hopefully not Tom Carter.

Recruit
I'll avoid specific players, but really we need:
A new reserve hooker (it is too risky having Fitzpatrick as our backup with Ulugia as third choice when TPN is also injury prone. We probably have to get someone more reliable instead of Ulugia or Fitzy)
A new halfback (depending on how Grayson Hart develops we either need someone to come in ahead or behind him).

The big question marks are going to be Mitchell and McCutcheon. Given Drew's horrendous run since his injury, I don't think we can be certain he is going to be a starter next year. Given the similarity of his injury, you'd have to say the same about Cutch.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^ that makes sense for everyone.

He really hasn't developed enough to be a regular super rugby player. He may as well play somewhere where he is going to get a run each week.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Cut/Retire:
Mumm
Palu
Elsom
Vickerman
Hangers
Alcock
McKibbin

Bring in to squad:
Jack Lam
Waldo Wessels
John Grant
Hugh Pyle
Ita Vea

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Why on earth would the Tahs dump Fitzpatrick? He is a great young prospect, his injury was a freak accident.

C

chriss555

BKH 23 years old to young to be lookin at cashing up in Japan.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
@ Joe Mac - I am pretty sure Elsom and Alcock are still signed for next year. I'm not sure about Mumm and Palu. Given that Vickerman is gone, keeping Mumm becomes far more viable.

@ wamberal - I don't think we should ditch Fitzpatrick. He is just a risky proposition given how little he has been available in the last two years. We all know how injury prone TPN is which makes having an injury prone backup hooker very risky.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
@ Joe Mac - I am pretty sure Elsom and Alcock are still signed for next year. I'm not sure about Mumm and Palu. Given that Vickerman is gone, keeping Mumm becomes far more viable.

@ wamberal - I don't think we should ditch Fitzpatrick. He is just a risky proposition given how little he has been available in the last two years. We all know how injury prone TPN is which makes having an injury prone backup hooker very risky.

That was just a hypothetical from me that I would like to see. No research behind in regards to when players are off contract...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
There's no way they would've let Mowen go without knowing they could/were going to get Elsom. We would've been left with Dennis and Palu and would've been a diaster.

That's probably why they offered Mowen a contract then.

Why is this so hard, the Tahs didn't let him go, he chose to leave, is he worth a heap of third party payments and the difference between winning and losing for us all to have chipped in a few dollars each so they could pay him a million?

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
That's probably why they offered Mowen a contract then.

Why is this so hard, the Tahs didn't let him go, he chose to leave, is he worth a heap of third party payments and the difference between winning and losing for us all to have chipped in a few dollars each so they could pay him a million?
It's not 'hard' WJ, it's just that noone else believes that they let Mowen go without being damned sure they had a replacement (Elsom).

Do you honestly contend that Mowen was lured to the Brumbies by one million dollars and/or a heap of third party payments? C'mon mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.