• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
No way, there are so many other options at Halfback then youngster Wessels. He will have to prove himself at 1st grade level before people think of him at EPS level and to my knowledge his been ruled out for the season with a knee injury.
Hart (Souths) / Schwager (Uni) will most probably be the short-term fix for any contract talks at 9 but I agree that Zacker would be the long term.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Aparently McKibbin may not be lost to the Tahs. According to Foxsports he had this to say:

However, McKibbin dismissed the rumours.
"I've read it a couple of times that I'm going to Scotland. I was unaware of that," McKibbin said.
"I'd love to stay here at the Waratahs. It's a great club and I'm really enjoying it. I'm not sure what I'm doing at the end of the year. I'm not sure about my future.

"I have a European passport. If I'm not wanted in Australia, obviously, I'll have to look at other avenues.
"Those decisions will be made in the coming weeks. Hopefully, I'll have a clearer idea on that."

So I will have to adjust some of my post (#91) on this thread.

In the group of players whose contracts end this year, McKibbin and KBH are going offshore.

So - 4 spots available - one for a scrummie, another for Lopeti and a 3rd for a LHP. That would leave 1 spot open - or 2 if Vickers pulls the pin.

There will be more new contracted players than that because it is odds-on that the Tahs won't be able to re-sign all of Ryan, Douglas, Mumm, Dennis, Palu, Carter, Pakalani and McCutcheon/Jenkins.

So, if McKibbin stays that could read that there are only 3 spots open if Tilse and Halangahu are not re-signed, as I suggested, but all the others are (and Vickers stays on): 1 for a LHP (Tilse's contract), one for Lopeti (BKH) and a back for Hangers' contract. That would change the mix from 17/13 to 18/12, which I think is better most years, though in 2012 the Tahs could have done with 15/15.

Obviously other new contracts will be have to be given out to replace any of the players in the quote who are not re-signed.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Where did the Scotland rumours come from then?

Seriously though, if the Scots could pinch McKibbin and Maitland they'd be looking alright.

T

tranquility

In Poeys book if I remember correctly (finished it awhile ago) he said he had received a contract offer from both the reds and the force. The reds had offered him more money as the force had him on an apprenticeship contract. He decided to go to the force as he thought he would get more of a shot quicker and the chance to be part of a new team. You also get the feel from the book that he forged a very strong bond with John Mitchell very early on which carried on as he made a speech at his wedding.

Just goes to show it’s not all about money

Believe it or not, but I spoke to his mother just after he signed with the Force in 2005 while still at Churchie. The Reds got in first, but said he would have to bide his time behing David Croft and inherit the role when he retired. The Force said you will play when you are good enough. Dave is a man in a hurry.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Believe it or not, but I spoke to his mother just after he signed with the Force in 2005 while still at Churchie. The Reds got in first, but said he would have to bide his time behing David Croft and inherit the role when he retired. The Force said you will play when you are good enough. Dave is a man in a hurry.
Which was when the ARU would clear him to play lol

T

tranquility

Where did the Scotland rumours come from then?

Seriously though, if the Scots could pinch McKibbin and Maitland they'd be looking alright.

Sean Maitland is the best young winder in NZ, far better than Zach Gilford. Has he got a Scotish relative?

T

tranquility

Which was when the ARU would clear him to play lol

Ha ha, exactly right. Although they tried to bung a head gear on him to hide the fact. I remember reading that match report from that trial at the time, and the writer said that the first player than ran at him was "literally chopped in half."

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
lol yeah and they only found out he played because a picture of him was published in a newspaper with another players name below. haha

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i recon ive seen more attacking abilities from kingston in these first few games then ive seen from turner since his debut season
turner has infuriated me the last few years with his cowardly kicking of everything that comes his way
i sure hope kingston and mitchel are the wingers next year>

Status
Not open for further replies.