• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
A lot of it is really basic stuff too. Foward passes and the like. Not looking good.

Very poor from someone who I was expecting to tear this game up. He'd better hope the Japanese/French/Irish scouts aren't watching this one

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
For mine, Turner has never been suited to any position other than the wing. The sooner he gets back there, the better he will look. IMO his handling, passing and kicking skills are not good enough for other positions.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Just watching the Tahs/Canes game.

Foley looks really solid, could turn out to be a very good 10 for you lot.

However, no one will ever know unless you get rid of that spud McKibbon. His 'pick the ball up and run 5m BACKWARDS before passing' thing is just hilarious shit. Even when Gregan/Burgess etc were running sideways before passing, that had benefits, it held the defence to watch for the inside pass of the snipe. McKibbon just pulls the ball out and jogs backwards for a few metres before hurling the ball in the general direction (IE left/right) of the flyhalf. It loses a good 2-3 seconds each time and puts the backline under so much pressure.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Both Lucas & Foley impressing me. I remember someone in one of these threads saying Cheika had indicate he was going to give McKibbon & Foley time together. You'd have to think he would be getting close to changing his mind.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not sure Lachie Turner will be back in the Tahs 22 any time soon if Chieks is serious about the Shute Shield. He is having a really poor game for Eastwood at the moment.

He looked well off the pace, I don't know whether it is just he needs game time or he ain't properly healthy

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
In the warm up for the force game I noted foley spent all his time with Lucas, chatting and then running breakdown passing exercises. They looked very close....

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I must sympathise with Inside Shoulder's call for more effort in the Juniors to be placed on developing #9's.

When you compare the quantity of Super Rugby and Test level #9's across the Dutch to the slim pickings over here, you have to wonder where we are going wrong.

The Darkness are like John West, and can afford to loan us one of their rejects to be first choice #9 for one of our franchises (Matthewson), and another of their fringe ITM #9's (Hart) for the Tah's.

We have a history of producing world class #9's, but apart from the Gregan/Anthems era, we have seldom had any real depth in this critical position.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I must sympathise with Inside Shoulder's call for more effort in the Juniors to be placed on developing #9's.

When you compare the quantity of Super Rugby and Test level #9's across the Dutch to the slim pickings over here, you have to wonder where we are going wrong.

The Darkness are like John West, and can afford to loan us one of their rejects to be first choice #9 for one of our franchises (Matthewson), and another of their fringe ITM #9's (Hart) for the Tah's.

We have a history of producing world class #9's, but apart from the Gregan/Anthems era, we have seldom had any real depth in this critical position.

I'd say one of the problems in juniors is that most halfbacks end up being the smallest guy in the team by default.

Some of them end up being very good players but often are just too small to really shine as a pro player.

It would be good if we had some slightly bigger guys with excellent passes wanting to be halfbacks.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Western Sydney Wanderers got 19369 people on Saturday, about 3000 better than the Tahs best this year (16429 v the Blues). Scary stuff.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not too worried about that Tahs crowds this year. It's a justified reaction from a fan base that had to suffer through years of under achieving and last years dross was probably the final straw for a lot of fans. Now the Tahs have to win those fans back this year.

As their performances and hopefully results improve as the season goes on then the crowds should return. For some fans it might be next season before they give them another go, unless a surge up the table sees the Tahs make the finals. Either way the Tahs are moving in the right direction on the field and hopefully the Tahs organisation follow Cheika's lead and start doing right by their fan base.

This is a good lesson for rugby clubs/franchises all over the world not to take their fan base for granted.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He looked well off the pace, I don't know whether it is just he needs game time or he ain't properly healthy

How did Turner go yesterday? I hope to see a replay sometime this week. But I see from the match results that the Woodies scored five tries, notwithstanding having the only two yellow cards for the match. So something was going right for them. I hope Turner was a bit part of it.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Western Sydney Wanderers got 19369 people on Saturday, about 3000 better than the Tahs best this year (16429 v the Blues). Scary stuff.
And then the Central Coast hosted Melbourne Victory in the other Semi-final. About 10,000 turned up.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
How did Turner go yesterday? I hope to see a replay sometime this week. But I see from the match results that the Woodies scored five tries, notwithstanding having the only two yellow cards for the match. So something was going right for them. I hope Turner was a bit part of it.

Wamberal, Turner played maybe 25 minutes and, unlike the week before, he was very very good. Helped set up a try and made a few half breaks.

One of the best performances I have seen from an Eastwood team

Status
Not open for further replies.