• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Tahs are going well in recent weeks I'd like to see Cheika keep faith with the guys who have been delivering. So Barnes should probably come onto the bench when he's fit. Then if anyone's form dips he's ready to claim back a starting spot. If not then he provides great cover from the bench.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As Fantasy coach for the Tahs, assuming Barnes is fit, I'd like McKibben to start next week against the Bulls but be replaced early and then have Lucas start against the Kings. My backline for the next two weeks would be (assuming Mitchell has a couple of weeks out with his hamstring):

Bulls Kings

9: McKibben Lucas
10: Foley Foley (if the game is going well I would sub him for Volavola at oranges)
11: Betham Kingston
12: Horne Barnes
13: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Horne (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will need a break and this game is the best chance)
14: Crawford Crawford
15: Folau Folau (subbed early for Betham with Crawford to switch to 15.)

20: Lucas McKibben
21: Barnes Volavola
22: Volavola Betham

The Tahs left for Safferland early this morning but Kingston played for Uni against the Beasts this arvo. Is he joining the Tahs safari late, or was he not selected to tour?

BTW, McKibben/McKibbon? How difficult is it to spell McKibbin's name correctly.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Been crying out all year for the cross kick to Folau and what do you know they pull it out and it works perfectly! Hopefully we'll see it used a bit more in coming weeks.

I think at the moment its hard to justify a place for Barnes in the team, can't see where he would fit in at the moment and in his brief spell against the Cheetahs he seemed out of tune with the gameplan. In fairness it is hard to judge on 15 minutes of rugby.

I agree. Personally I think he should have to play his way back through grade Rugby first. Considering Cheika has been sending Tahs squad member's back to grade when not needed or to look for form, there's no reason why he shouldn't as well. It would be unfair to the current match day 22 if he just was given an open door. If he performs for Uni, he then can progress up to the bench and then eventually the starting line up providing he can keep his foot off the ball.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Tahs left for Safferland early this morning but Kingston played for Uni against the Beasts this arvo. Is he joining the Tahs safari late, or was he not selected to tour?

Hadn't considered that while watching the game. Interesting.

Cyril Towers (30)

Tahs leave tomorrow (Sunday) morning.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And I hope Cheika does send Barnes back to Uni (but, please not when they play the Pirates!). And I also hope he comes up to speed quickly and earns his spot on the Tahs bench after about one grade game. Depth on our bench will prove to be invaluable, and, to be fair to Barnes, he does bring some qualities we could do with ATM: our kicking out of hand needs to be much better and we need another playmaker close to the play. He's also a very good goalkicker. I recall a test match on the EoYT some three or four years ago when Barnes played a blinder against Wales (?) BY UNDERPLAYING HIS HAND. And not kicking the leather off the ball. His game was all timing and placement of passes to put others through gaps. Someone should dig out a recording of that match and make it compulsory viewing for Berrick while he recovers.

The rider on Barnes's return is of course, "three or more useless kicks when ball-in-hand would've been better gets you hooked".

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Does anyone know the touring side to SA? I heard that Barnes is not available until they return. And Damien Fitzpatrick will be available soon also.

Cyril Towers (30)
I think they are taking 26. So probably last match 22 + Tilse, Holloway, carter and Kingston. I think lachie turner picked up a nasty injury playing for the woodies yesterday.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think they are taking 26. So probably last match 22 + Tilse, Holloway, carter and Kingston. I think lachie turner picked up a nasty injury playing for the woodies yesterday.

I hope you're wrong about the 26 as I want to see Big Willy get 10 minutes off the bench against the Kings. I hope a few players get a rest from the Kings game because there is a long flight home and two very tough games (Stormers and Brumbies) to follow. So, I'd be tempted to take a couple extra to SA. Sorry to see Barnes won't be ready till after the tour as the Kings game would be a perfect way to get 50 minutes back in and get some rest time for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Foley. Both of them have started every game and its a long season.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I hope you're wrong about the 26 as I want to see Big Willy get 10 minutes off the bench against the Kings. I hope a few players get a rest from the Kings game because there is a long flight home and two very tough games (Stormers and Brumbies) to follow. So, I'd be tempted to take a couple extra to SA. Sorry to see Barnes won't be ready till after the tour as the Kings game would be a perfect way to get 50 minutes back in and get some rest time for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Foley. Both of them have started every game and its a long season.

I wouldn't be taking the Kings lightly. It will be interesting to see if Cheika makes any changes. The season so far suggests he's going to keep as many players in the starting lineup and in the same position week to week as possible.

In the paper this morning he was glowing in his praise of McKibbin, which suggests to me that he has now set on his starting 9, 10, 12, 13 & 15 and barring injury, I don't expect that to change this season in those positions.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think he can play for the Tahs even if fit. He was replaced in the squad my Mitch Chapman.

He would have to be a call-up from outside the squad as an injury replacement. But TPN, Ulugia and Holmes (its a worry) all look to be in good health. Fitzpatrick will need to prove he can close out the season in Shute without further injury to prove he is ready for a contract next year. Its going to be a tough call for Cheika, he has had a lot of long-term injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.