• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Unfortunately, yes. It's some rich bastard's plaything. How do you think they got up that drainpipe so quickly? Players like Giteau, Mitchell, Cross and Chabal don't come cheap.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Nah I'm pretty sure Drew is just mates with Warren Livingstone, the bloke who runs the club. Gits was the first to sign up, then Drew followed close after. Don't think there is cash involved.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Skelton and Lopeti Timani together in one forward pack is a pretty scary prospect.

Though, I doubt you'll see those two together on the field much, especially after this year.

Regarding Balmain, it's common knowledge that they pay some of their players and have done for a few years, just like the Dirty Reds. The major sponsor was Dick's Bar in Balmain, but I'm unsure if this is how they got all their money or not.

BTW, I understand that Balmain now have their home field at Leichhardt oval, if anyone can confirm.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
if skelton keeps improving and keeps his intensity up he'll be a crowd favourite in no time!

Never mind the crowd favorite! I want him to become the next Dan Vickerman. The lineout and the breakdown have been poor this year despite the supposed class of our pack. These are the two key components that need to improve 100% if we are not to finish mid-table next year. Skelton has looked good enough this year to indicate that he has the potential to become a huge force, maybe even a part of getting us to a final.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Can't fix the lineout with jumpers alone. Fitzpatrick needs to eat some concrete and give us a viable second hooker. I like John U but the guy is inconsistent

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't like benefactors making a club literally leagues better than the opposition but this is a competitive 1st Div subbies club that literally wouldn't exist were it not for this "Waz" character.

I say, in this situation, power to him!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Never mind the crowd favorite! I want him to become the next Dan Vickerman. The lineout and the breakdown have been poor this year despite the supposed class of our pack. These are the two key components that need to improve 100% if we are not to finish mid-table next year. Skelton has looked good enough this year to indicate that he has the potential to become a huge force, maybe even a part of getting us to a final.

I would rather him be the next Skylab Cutler and infinitely better lock than Vickerman.

The reason the Tahs lineout has been poor is they have 1.5 jumpers and some scratchy throwers. I would argue the point regarding the breakdown by saying they have moved to a totally new system which actually requires the players to do a lot of work off the ball. There is no doubt that last year the Tahs were one of the most unfit sides in the comp, and this year they struggled early on. I feel that that has changed and they now actually play about 70 minutes of each game and hold on in the other 10. Against the Rebels they took a step backwards in execution but not in fitness, they were still pushing right to the end which wasn't the case previously.

I would love to see Skelton step up but next year they really must look to secure another genuine jumper and work on the throwing of Ulugia and Fitzpatrick.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I actually count 4.

Douglas, Timani, Dennis and Palu

Also the pack for the Sydney Academy (mainly 19-22 year olds) were getting Skelton up in the lineout fine.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Pish. Douglas, Dennis, Palu. That's three.

There your problem right there. I talk about genuine jumpers who can be assured of winning their own ball and pressuring the opposition. Douglas yes, Dennis (own ball and sometimes opposition so .5 or maybe .75) the other two, no way - sometimes jumpers at best.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
From Crowden's ruck n maul

'Rock stars' can prepare to say ta, Tahs

One of the prime highlights of the Waratahs season this year has been the Fox Sports vision from the dressing rooms showing the players preparing for matches. Some Australian teams resemble prayer groups, with the players arm-in-arm in a huddle. Not the Waratahs. Foot-on-the-throat coach Michael Cheika more often than not is in the middle of the gathering, looking as if he is giving his troops a spectacular fire-and-brimstone speech. And the Waratahs have discovered that life isn't nice when they lose. Our Waratahs snouts say Cheika's half-time "spray" during the Rebels game last weekend was "a classic", and a notable player was told by coaching staff after the match, that he was "soft and selfish". There is also a concern that several Waratahs now focused on Wallabies duties have already "left town". The team management believe some of the players have "reached the end of the line and should start looking elsewhere". A cleanout of the "rock stars" is imminent. Cheika, meanwhile, remains committed to luring Beale to the Waratahs next season. Beale, who has lost faith in several Rebels officials, appears certain to be back in New South Wales colours.
http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2013/rugby/story/183945.html

I do like Cheika at times

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From Crowden's ruck n maul

I do like Cheika at times
Calling someone soft and selfish, presumably in front of others (hence Grumbles heard about it) mid season , when about to play for their season, seems a little odd to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.