• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I think Roach would be a fine replacement to be drafted into Tah's Ltd right now under emergency legislation.

The bloke from Rats (Luke Holmes) doesn't seem to have the necessary skills and abilities to perform at Super Level, and Ulugia looks to have picked up a bit of a knee injury.

When is Fitzpatrick back from Team Rehab?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The NSW Waratahs appear to have been subjected to an embarrassing episode on their Twitter account, with an obscene message sent out to more than 14,000 people on Friday morning.
The post, containing a single four-letter word and a link to a story about rugby league player Matt Ballin, who plays for Manly in the NRL, was posted on the Waratahs' public Twitter profile at 3.34am AEST.

Sounds to me like the Tahs Tweeter thought they we using their own account.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/obscene-waratahs-tweet-sent-to-thousands-20130524-2k4sd.html#ixzz2UA5WFJUc

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I am not a twitterer so don't know too much about how the followers thing works, but 14000 followers for the Tahs sounds a little low doesn't it?

You hear of rugby players and other professional sportspersons having followers in the 100000's.

How many twitter followers do the other Soup franchises have?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I am not a twitterer so don't know too much about how the followers thing works, but 14000 followers for the Tahs sounds a little low doesn't it?

You hear of rugby players and other professional sportspersons having followers in the 100000's.

I think sports stars would have more followers because they actually put interesting (for some I suppose) stuff on their twitter, and occasionally interact with fans. Sports teams, and not just the Tahs, just seem to limit their accounts to team updates, match reports etc ie stuff that you don't need to follow them for.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)

one thing to keep in mind is that the players often buy fake followers in order to boost their marketing appeal.

in response to the last question, Force have 8500, Chiefs at 17,000, rebels 11,700, stormers 49500 (!), reds 24,000, Kings 4,000, and brumbies about 14,000 as well

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
Poor performance from the Waratahs against the rebels, didn't play the same footy that had them in great form as of late, kicked the ball away in the first half then couldn't hang on to it in the second. Also not using Folau to his full potential, on of the most dangerous players in the game yet rarely sees the ball, wheres the thinking?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'm not sure where the thinking is, but the talking about the game is in the match thread in the "Rugby Matches" part of the forum. :)

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Rarely sees the ball? He had more runs than any other Tah back except Betham, 3 less than Palu, 1 less than Hooper or Foley and the same as Dennis :rolleyes:

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
Rarely sees the ball? He had more runs than any other Tah back except Betham, 3 less than Palu, 1 less than Hooper or Foley and the same as Dennis :rolleyes:
My point is hes not used effectively, they rarely play to his strengths. Put him under some more cross kicks i say

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In retrospect I think we missed the directness and defence of Horne on Saturday

Barnes took a lot of the running and physical confrontation out of the Tahs.

Too much kicking, too much lateral early

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My point is hes not used effectively, they rarely play to his strengths. Put him under some more cross kicks i say
Yep.
I don't understand why they aren't doing the Mungo bombs in the attacking 22.
Looks like a bet to nothing IMO, the kicker just needs to ensure the kick is not deep enough for the defence to catch it in goal, for the 22 restart.
It's what I hate about Mungo, but in today's professional world,I would have thought this is the one tactic that is easily transferred between the codes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yep.
I don't understand why they aren't doing the Mungo bombs in the attacking 22.
Looks like a bet to nothing IMO, the kicker just needs to ensure the kick is not deep enough for the defence to catch it in goal, for the 22 restart.
It's what I hate about Mungo, but in today's professional world,I would have thought this is the one tactic that is easily transferred between the codes.

In think it is due to the outcome of an unsuccessful bomb/kick in rugby.

Firstly, NRL has a finite number of opportunities per set, so when 5 have been done it is make or break

Secondly, the penalty for failure is generally a line drop out, so pressure can be built again or a team working out from their goal line

Now compare that to rugby.
Catch the ball on the full in the 22 - mark & then kick it away
Catch the ball behind the goal line - 22 drop - pressure released

But in rugby you get to keep the ball forever, if you are good enough, you can build pressure, penalties happen etc etc, so the big play to the corner is only a real option in the mis-match has already happened and they are already stretched and short.

It looks great when it comes off, but catching, drawing and passing is usually a more effective percentage option.

Now a decent kick midfield may be manipulated and effective, like Lote vs Robinson @ RWC but to me that is more about creating defensive doubt than the big try play

Status
Not open for further replies.