• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm surprised Growden didn't ask that now Vili's Pies are a sponsor of the Waratahs, will they be selling more varieties on matchday.

If not, can they at least include the full Vili's range in the press box.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Why stop at the players having a say. How about the supporters, the sponsors, the shute shield clubs and all NSW junior clubs.;)

I for one have no problems with the senior players having a say (at the Tahs thats all of them :)) in the type of coach they feel would bring the fortunes of the Tahs back to lofty heights. However, they should stay well away from the actual selection of a coach. For NSW the new coach must be seen to have total control over the way we play and what it takes to win games. We all saw what happened at the Brumbies when player power was let run rampant when the players were not the best around. They bought in a coach that had control but listened to and CONSIDERED the thoughts of the senior players but in the end it was his decisions that bought success this year.

On another thought, did Jake White have the success he had this year not just because he is a good coach but also because he had no past connection with any of the players or any Oz club? Did this allow him the latitude to control what went on at the Brumbies

T

TOCC

TOCC - as I said above, in an organisation that has reported a breakdown in communication between the playing group and board. Having your captain leave for wallaby training being told who his coach etc was next year then in 7 days having the chairman and coach leave, him saying he would like to be consulted is akin to him saying he would like transperacy.

WJ, your comments contradict with what Benn Robinson was quoted in saying, Robinson clearly wants him and some other players to have some influence on the coaching position.

''It'd be nice for [the Tahs administration] to speak to a few of the key players who might have a fair say or fair influence on how the team should be moving forward,'' a clearly angered Robinson said. ''I think it'd be good to have a few players involved in that process. I'd like to have at least word or a few words about certain issues there as well.''
Read more:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/bitter-tahs-seek-voice-in-selection-of-new-coach-20120801-23fn9.html#ixzz22SIyHRU1

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
On another thought, did Jake White have the success he had this year not just because he is a good coach but also because he had no past connection with any of the players or any Oz club? Did this allow him the latitude to control what went on at the Brumbies
I think the fact that he had no personal relationships with senior players, meant there were no sacred cows.Everyone knew that they had to compete for their positions.
Competition for spots is always healthy in a Club.

P

Paradox

The Brumbies ticking off the Tahs for discussing player power. Now that's ironic!

Better than being hypocritical. Suddenly those Tah fans who have long condemned player power (and used the Brumbies as the object of their hysteria) are so very very quiet.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
WJ, your comments contradict with what Benn Robinson was quoted in saying, Robinson clearly wants him and some other players to have some influence on the coaching position.

Nope, involved in the process, yes, he clearly wants to know what's going on, again due to the lack of communication but I read his comments as bein upset with the organization more than trying to pick and chose a coach.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If you had followed the Brumbies model, you might have won something.

It's about perception, in 2011 the tahs making the finals and getti knocked out was a failure. In 2012 the brumbies almost making the finals was a triumph of untold heights. The modern brumbies of super 14 and beyond are one of sports greatest myths, they have gone backwards to the poit were almost is a pass mark

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think that the senior players should be talked to on general terms about the new coach.

I don't think they should decide who it is but I think it is incredibly important for the Tahs board and CEO to re-engage with the players.

The last thing you want is for players to feel like the organisation has fallen apart and they are no longer part of it and just waiting for their contracts finish so they can move to a new club.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
They should be told that there are 3 or 4 on the shortlist or however many there are. and the expected time frame in which a decision will be made. They should also be aware who is in charge in the interim, by all means give them input in this interim period.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Better than being hypocritical. Suddenly those Tah fans who have long condemned player power (and used the Brumbies as the object of their hysteria) are so very very quiet.

Except for the ones on this thread who've said the players shouldn't get a say in who the coach is. But why let facts get in the way of a good troll?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They should be told that there are 3 or 4 on the shortlist or however many there are. and the expected time frame in which a decision will be made. They should also be aware who is in charge in the interim, by all means give them input in this interim period.
This interim period and the issue of who is in charge - does it stretch back to February?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe Benn Robinson has plenty of valid things to add that only a player could.

He could say things like:

- it didn't work having two backs coaches.
- it didn't work having a new head coach and some new assistant coaches but some old assistants. The new coach should get to pick all the positions. If they want some people to stay then that is fine.
- x coach and y coach didn't get on. They can't both be part of the coaching team. It causes disunity.
- if someone has a long term injury, they can't be captain.

The players must have some awareness of things that went wrong in 2011. Particularly the experienced campaigners. Not engaging them to help in the transition to a new coach, manager and chairman would be crazy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm sure they've learnt from their mistake. It would have been painfully obvious that they kept getting run down in the last twenty minutes.

Who knows who made that decision though? Given the number of senior players who have left (Elsom, Vickerman, Mumm, Halangahu) there is just as much chance the impetus to have a lighter training load could have come from one of them.

Given players like Robinson were out from a knee reconstruction and would have had their own individual training program at that stage, maybe Mumm and Halangahu who were senior players with no Wallaby commitments were the guys arguing for a lighter training load.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Robinson's words
''It'd be nice for [the Tahs administration] to speak to a few of the key players who might have a fair say or fair influence on how the team should be moving forward,''

clearly indicate that Robinson wants to influence decisions possibly including the recruitment of the next coach.

How Robinson and/or the Tahs want to go about recruiting the next coach is a matter for them, and not really a worry for any other franchise, so good luck to them in that respect.

Time to move on?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I'm no fan of players steering the boat as it were but if the wheels fall off it's pretty obvious you need to engage the key stakeholders and try to flush out issues.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why stop at the players having a say. How about the supporters, the sponsors, the shute shield clubs and all NSW junior clubs.;)

...snip...

You forget getting input of the rugby stakeholders who do not live in Olde Sydney Towne - NSW Country clubs, as well as the NSW Suburban Clubs.

While the post above possibly had an element of jest, the parties mentioned above actually do get a say in how things are run, through the Board (my possible jocular contribution).

The Waratah Inc Board is allegedly in place to represent the interests of the stakeholders and to run the business responsibly (Company Directors Course in 20 words or less).

T

TOCC

Nope, involved in the process, yes, he clearly wants to know what's going on, again due to the lack of communication but I read his comments as bein upset with the organization more than trying to pick and chose a coach.

You obviously interpret his comments differently to me, all i'm saying is that Benn should be more concerned about the Wallabies upcoming matches then worrying about providing input in the Waratahs coach selection process... The players have a player representative(Al Baxter) who is their to liaise with the board members on their behalf, who after all are the same members who select the next coach.

Listen, i like Robinson, i just think that players should stay out of the process when it comes to selecting coaches, next the players will want input at the selection table as well... However i think Robinson's comments do highlight the lack of faith that the players have in the board members in selecting the best coach...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The players had pretty good input into how how their preseason training should run, and based on that I'm more than happy for the Tahs' players to be the key decision makers when it comes to finding a coach, and any other aspect of their game they would like to control.......

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.