• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
todd4, not re-writing history, just laying it out as it happened.
In April, Reds sign Graham for 2013 >>>Graham let's Force know he won't be around for 2013 >>> Force decide to sack Graham during season 2012.
Read more about how to do it;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/reds-in-great-coach-heist/story-fnbyu1ln-1226335212346[/quote]

Hate to be pedantic but you did not lay it out as it happened. Your original post stated that Graham resigned from the Force which you now acknowledge was not true, he was sacked because it was untenable for him to stay on as coach after agreeing to go to the Reds.

Anyway Graham's gone and I'm glad he's gone so I'm not going to argue over this anymore except to say neither the Reds nor Graham can be credited with any 'integrity' for doing a deal at the start of a season and effectively destabilising the Force's 2012 season.

(sorry Waratahs fans, should get back to Tah talk)

T

TOCC

ate to be pedantic but you did not lay it out as it happened. Your original post stated that Graham resigned from the Force which you now acknowledge was not true, he was sacked because it was untenable for him to stay on as coach after agreeing to go to the Reds.

Anyway Graham's gone and I'm glad he's gone so I'm not going to argue over this anymore except to say neither the Reds nor Graham can be credited with any 'integrity' for doing a deal at the start of a season and effectively destabilising the Force's 2012 season.

(sorry Waratahs fans, should get back to Tah talk)
And the Western Force is built on foundations of integrity right? lol
You do realise the irony of all this considering what the Force did to the Reds 5 years ago.. Signing the Reds captain mid-season for starters...

Im sure the Force's poor season had nothing to do with poor recruitment decisions over the past few years.

T

TOCC

Doesn't that description of Foley apply to most Waratahs big wigs?

David Pocock had decided to go to the Brumbies a long time before any coach was announced and Foley's name even cropped up. I have no idea why Dave prolonged not announcing it. Maybe he was giving the Force the chance to pull a big fat rabbit out of the hat. All the Force could manage was a shrew.

This is speculation not fact....

Why is there so much Force chat in a Waratahs thread...

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
And the Western Force is built on foundations of integrity right? lol
You do realise the irony of all this considering what the Force did to the Reds 5 years ago.. Signing the Reds captain mid-season for starters.

Im sure the Force's poor season had nothing to do with poor recruitment decisions over the past few years.

I am replying to a comment by another poster.

If you still have a chip on your shoulder about other issues that happened years ago then that is your problem but it has no relevance to what I am discussing with 'It is what it is'.

As for your question about why so much Force chat on a Tahs thread you will notice I tried to end it with my previous post but you couldn't resist keeping it going.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have read with interest Phil Kearns' comments about the Waratahs 'Farce'.

Those here should remember that I and a few others were very critical of Kearns, Kafer and Horan for the use (I continue to assert it an abuse) of their media positions to push their candidates and encourage wider support without publicly declaring their hidden positions touching the matters they are offering opinion on.

Kearns' has assisted in the demise of the Tahs this year and now he is involved in replacing Foley and again abuses his position in the media by publicly pushing the position of Gaffney, again without declaring his position on the sub-committee that is to advise on the next coach.

At this point I want to remind the readers of this forum of Mr Kearns' history. Now I will say at the outset that I was a huge fan of him as a player and thought him a very good Captain of both the Tahs and the Wallabies. That said you will recall that in the Spring and Winter of 1994 Ross Turnbull and Packer created the World Rugby Corporation and a certain Phil Kearns, Wallabies Captain, signed himself and numerous others to the WRC. There were lots of promises and a lot of politicking. In 1995 the Wallabies were clearly under done and far from their 1991-1994 form where they beat all comers, yes there were injuries and fitness issues but IMO the issues that surrounded the WRC and the Captain derailed that campaign. I know other nation's Captains were involved including the '95 Champions, but I am not interested in that here.

I am saying the Mr Kearns has a history of backroom politics and should either be removed from all boards, committees or declare such and preclude himself from using his media position in what most should see as unethical ways to influence decisions about players, coaches and administrators and the opinion of the unknowing fan/member.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Like sands through the hour glass, these are the days of the NSW Waratahs.

The place sounds more like a soap than a rugby franchise.

When will the Tahs hit rock bottom? I thought losing Beale might have been it and the catalyst for change but it just keeps rolling on with no sign of improvement.

J

Jiggles

Like sands through the hour glass, these are the days of the NSW Waratahs.

The place sounds more like a soap than a rugby franchise.

When will the Tahs hit rock bottom? I thought losing Beale might have been it and the catalyst for change but it just keeps rolling on with no sign of improvement.

If Gaffney gets the gig, the circus will go round again next year.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Gnostic - what conflict of interest is Kearns pushing? If there is a committee to select a coach that he is on (remembering that only spiro has stated this but in doing so revealed no ther names on this list) and he has interviewed or talked to candidates and decided Gaffney is the best available, then how does stating it on a show where he is payed to give opinion wrong? The only way it can possibly be wrong to do is if the committee is going to be swayed by public opinion rather than following a process that was decided before they commenced with it. Is Kearns saying his opinion in a public forum actually akin to this man influencing every person on the committee? Is the public now clambering to see Kearns opinion made reality?

Also how has he assisted in the demise of the Tahs? He was brought in to give opinion to the board, he stated on the rugby club he had had two meetings with them along with kafe? He isn't responsible for the implementation of ideas or reforms, he is merely a consultant asked to give a reflection of his own thoughts. I think your being a bit hard on him here.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Its a clear conflict of interest: how can anyone be perceived as providing a balanced assessment of the goings on when they are advising the board about those goings on?
If they follow his advice he will tell us they are geniuses and if they reject it he will tell us they are known nothings.
And we the long suffering public will have no information (as opposed to mere opinion) on which to base our assessment.
The whole thing is incestuous...where's my link to the Al Pacino clip from scent of a woman - someone needs to take a flame thrower to the joint!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree with IS.

This would be like Gaggerlanders own Uncle Lee being revealed as a Aust Schoolboy Selector.

We all know that he is not and therefore his match reports retain their credibility for what they are - an impartial observers thoughts on what they have seen.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Point one: If he is going to comment on the coaches appointment he should declare he sits on the panel or sub committee to appoint the coach.
Point two: If he is on the panel, before he becomes a cheerleader for a particular applicant, he should maybe interview any other applicants first.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Again, what conflict of interest, he isn't a Tahs insider, he is a consultant payed to give opinion, if he had given his opinion to the board that Gaffney is his choice, then goes on tv and says Gaffney is the right choice. There isn't a conflict at all unless the board is waiting for the rugby club to tell them what to do.

If the board has a process, the world famous "KPIs" and obviously more people than Phil involved in there decision he isn't influencing or profiting from anything. Infact he is merely doing what is asked of him both in his role as a consultant and in his tv job as a color commentator.

What conflict is he causing?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Again, what conflict of interest, he isn't a Tahs insider, he is a consultant payed to give opinion, if he had given his opinion to the board that Gaffney is his choice, then goes on tv and says Gaffney is the right choice. There isn't a conflict at all unless the board is waiting for the rugby club to tell them what to do.

If the board has a process, the world famous "KPIs" and obviously more people than Phil involved in there decision he isn't influencing or profiting from anything. Infact he is merely doing what is asked of him both in his role as a consultant and in his tv job as a color commentator.

What conflict is he causing?
He is not "causing" a conflict - he is in a conflict.
He present himself as a commentator on rugby.
He gives a franchise some advice.
he is therefore precluded from commenting on the franchise's decision because he is not impartial: his impartiality is compromised by the advice he gave. It is compromised irrespective of the advice he gave because if they follow it he will not contemplate the possibility they are wrong to do so and so will not tell us what are the factors bearing on the issue. The opposite is true as well.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In future, all franchises must allow the ARU to select their coaches. This is what is done by New Zealand Rugby Union. This model is clearly successful. Last season, NZRU appointed Dave Rennie as coach of the under-performing Chiefs. Tonight, the Chiefs are playing their first home ground Super Rugby final.

Just thinking - how about the Tahs let the NZRU appoint the coach? i dont trust the ARU!

Status
Not open for further replies.