• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes, but there is a long time between now and the start of Super Rugby 2013.

If Betham can keep rolling as he is now, I'd prefer him over Turner.

I'm a big fan of Turner but he seems to represent mediocrity these days. The Tahs are trying to turn the page; he may get stuck of the flipped side.

S

Sumon

If Betham can keep rolling as he is now, I'd prefer him over Turner.

Betham will never start before a fit turner and healthy turner, does anyone else remember Bethams form in australia, where he regularly gets shown up in shute shield games. granted he has been playing great in the itm cup, this could be attributed to a variety of reasons, and i hope he brings this form to the tahs, whereas turner has been excelling in periods of fitness to the level where he is a wallabies starter in previous years

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Betham is only 23.

You'd have to consider that his good form in the Shute Shield in 2012 and now his breakout season in the ITM Cup would be a sign of improvement moreso than a sign of temporary good form.

At least that's what I'm taking out of it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think he had any good form in the SS. He played 2nd grade all year

Also Holloway will be the lock that can play backrow. Need a 6/7.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
If everyone is fit...

1. Robbo/Ryan
2. TPN/Fitz
3. Kepu/Ryan
4. Douglas/?
5. Timani/?
6. Dennis/mccutch
7. Hooper
8. Palu/timani
9. Hart/Lucas
10. Foley/Lane
11. Turner/Kingston
12. Barnes/Carter
13. Horne/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mitchell/Betham
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Foley/Barnes

There are plenty of other variations. Betham's form has been tremendous and he could force his way in. Tom Carter's aggression and enthusiasm seems like something Cheika would really like. He must be a chance at 12. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could play 13 and Barnes could play fullback. Barnes could play 10 and Foley fullback.
Put some subs in for injuries...doesnt look bad apart from locks McKib is a toughy, he is a real worker good kicker and has heart but so does Lucas who i think is a bit of a talent.....can we start favourites again?:rolleyes:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I doubt Lucas will get a crack early. I think McKibbin and Hart will be ahead of him.

Atkins and Holloway will be fighting it out for the third lock position in the matchday 22.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So with everyone in their positions...

1. Robinson/Tilse
2. Polota-Nau/Fitzpatrick/Ulugia/Holmes
3. Kepu/Ryan
4. Douglas/Atkins
5. S Timani/Peterson
6. Dennis/Holloway
7. Hooper/McCutcheon
8. Palu/L Timani
9. McKibbin/Hart/Lucas
10. Foley/Lane
11. Mitchell/Betham
12. Barnes/Carter
13. Horne/Kingston
14. Turner/Hodge
15. Ashley-Cooper/Crawford

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is Super Rugby bringing in the 8th reserve for an extra prop next year? If so, maybe one of our remaining signings should be a prop.

Aside from that, it would seem that a 6/7 or a 10 or 10/12 are the most needed positions.

W

What2040

looks pretty fair squad. Just need the boys to muscle up and results will surely follow

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So with everyone in their positions.

1. Robinson/Tilse
2. Polota-Nau/Fitzpatrick/Ulugia/Holmes
3. Kepu/Ryan
4. Douglas/Atkins
5. S Timani/Peterson
6. Dennis/Holloway
7. Hooper/McCutcheon
8. Palu/L Timani
9. McKibbin/Hart/Lucas
10. Foley/Lane
11. Mitchell/Betham
12. Barnes/Carter
13. Horne/Kingston
14. Turner/Hodge
15. Ashley-Cooper/Crawford

I still say that we are woefully short of potential at 10. I know that the rest of the backline was crap last year but I do not want to see Barnes at 10 ever again (I actually want to see him at 15). Given that, having just one injury replacement from the EPS at 10 fills me with horror. What if we have the same sort of injury toll that QLD had last year? We might have no decent 10 just two weeks into the competition.

I propose the best we can do in the backline with what's still available is:

10. Foley/Saifoloi/Lane
11. Mitchell/Betham
12. Carter/Horne
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Horne
14. Turner/Kingston/Hodge
15. Barnes/Crawford/Volavola

Laid out this way it does beg the question as to why we picked up Hodge. We now have five wingers with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) also able to back up. Seems like a massive luxury when the shortage appears to be at 10/12/13. Would have been way worse had Carter not re-signed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hawko - I can't see us signing two more backs. That would result in 18 of the 35 being backs.

I think there will be one more back at the most. Possibly none.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
No idea why we signed Hodge/Crawford we have way too many outside backs..
Going on the past 2 years, too many outside backs still wont be enough.

Also, re-read that article about the EPS, hidden in there is the fact that Ulugia is gone.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
?? No mention of Ulugia are you referring to this:

Holmes, 28, is the most experienced campaigner in the Waratahs EPS, with 28 Super caps for the Force. He’ll provide back-up to Tatafu Polota-Nau and Damien Fitzpatrick.

wouldn't take anything from it, rugby journalism after all.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Unless John Uglia declares he wants to play for Samoa I'd be very surprised if the Tahs cut him. He's performed to super rugby standard at both prop and hooker, that's unheard of.

The only bloke I can think of to cover those positions at super rugby level is John Smit and he's obviously a better hooker than Ulugia, but not half the prop.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Couldn't agree more, efe, Ulugia's done everything asked of him at the Tahs the last two years, in very difficult circumstances at that. Surely Super coaches have twigged good backup, especially in the front row, is priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.