• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I see it as a positive, there will be a turnover, there are a load of seniors leaving

The side will be refreshed and built in Cheika's image.

Link said once that it took 3 years to get the squad you want, Cheika hasn't even started having a real say over the squad.

6/35 - thats not a rebuild thats a whole new suburb.
Im sure it will all work out.
One thing that I think will save the Tahs from their own stupidity in this regard is that blokes really need to be in Oz in 2014 to press their claims for RWC 2015 - only those at the end or or on a promise will dare go over seas if they have an ambition in that area.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Guys I'd re-sign if I had all the money and control. I've bolded the ones I'd particularly like to see in the squad, but there's only 9 of those guys who I'd jettison - and even then, McKibbin and Tilse are useful enough. Ollie Atkins and Jed Holloway need to make big steps in Shute to warrant anything next year, so they're in the bigger "we'll see" pool. Feel free to tear my contracting decisions apart.

Top Priority:
Tatafu Polota-Nau
Benn Robinson
Bernard Foley
Kane Douglas
Berrick Barnes
Tom Kingston
Lopeti Timani
Sitaleki Timani
Matt Lucas
Ben Volavola
Drew Mitchell

Next cabs once they're signed:
Mitch Chapman
Tom Carter (as a depth player most likely)
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Sekope Kepu

Would like, will probably lose:
Israel Folau
Lachie Turner
Wycliff Palu
Damien Fitzpatrick
Peter Betham
Rob Horne

Not bothered/meh:
Brendan McKibbin
John Ulugia
Grayson Hart
Jeremy Tilse
Jed Holloway
Luke Holmes
Ollie Atkins
Greg Peterson

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
6/35 - thats not a rebuild thats a whole new suburb.
Im sure it will all work out.
One thing that I think will save the Tahs from their own stupidity in this regard is that blokes really need to be in Oz in 2014 to press their claims for RWC 2015 - only those at the end or or on a promise will dare go over seas if they have an ambition in that area.

This will certainly be a big factor in keeping many big names from going overseas. It would be prudent however to sign some to 3 year deals if given the opportunity as i'd think a walk out after the 2015 RWC is a lot more likely.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Guys I'd re-sign if I had all the money and control. I've bolded the ones I'd particularly like to see in the squad, but there's only 9 of those guys who I'd jettison - and even then, McKibbin and Tilse are useful enough. Ollie Atkins and Jed Holloway need to make big steps in Shute to warrant anything next year, so they're in the bigger "we'll see" pool. Feel free to tear my contracting decisions apart.

Top Priority:
Tatafu Polota-Nau
Benn Robinson
Bernard Foley
Kane Douglas
Berrick Barnes
Tom Kingston
Lopeti Timani
Sitaleki Timani
Matt Lucas
Ben Volavola
Drew Mitchell

Next cabs once they're signed:
Mitch Chapman
Tom Carter (as a depth player most likely)
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Sekope Kepu

Would like, will probably lose:
Israel Folau
Lachie Turner
Wycliff Palu
Damien Fitzpatrick
Peter Betham
Rob Horne

Not bothered/meh:
Brendan McKibbin
John Ulugia
Grayson Hart
Jeremy Tilse
Jed Holloway
Luke Holmes
Ollie Atkins
Greg Peterson

I'd really like to see Turner retained as I think he'd suit Cheika's style. If he's lost some pace I think he'd be worth a run in the centres. I cannot see Carter being offered much to stay as he doesn't fit the Cheika mould. If I were Betham I'd hang about, hopefully have another good ITM Cup campaign as I think that next year will be his best opportunity to break into the 1st team and cement a place.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
MrMouse - I agree with many of those. Those that I disagree with are as follows:

John Ulugia - I'd keep him. He surely can't demand huge dollars and at the start of the season (if Fitzpatrick hadn't got injured again), he would have been third choice hooker and a backup prop. He's still only 27 and as captain of Southern Districts he's got some leadership qualities. Super Rugby squads need people like him.

Jed Holloway - surely he's worth at least another year in the EPS. It would be crazy to sign any EPS player without thinking they've got at least two years to show their worth.

Peter Betham - he is only 24 and had a break out season in the ITM Cup. He could be the winger to replace Mitchell and Turner in the longer term.

Israel Folau - if he wants to play another season of rugby, the Tahs should keep him. He'll be a huge asset by next year.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Israel Folau - if he wants to play another season of rugby, the Tahs should keep him. He'll be a huge asset by next year.

Yep, and this is a big reason I find the "stick him in Shute" argument so silly. Why would he come back if he spends half the season out of the side? Playing him this year is partly about trying to get him to sign again in the future.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
1 Adam Ashley-Cooper - off contract would like to keep but maybe it's time to make a pile of yen
2 Ollie Atkins - off contract dunno anything about Ollie, can someone fill me in
3 Berrick Barnes - off contract been very injury-prone during his entire Tahs' stay, see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
4 Peter Betham - off contract worth keeping
5 Tom Carter - off contract can't see Tom fitting in with Cheika's philosophy/style/plans
6 Cam Crawford - contracted
7 Dave Dennis - contracted
8 Kane Douglas - off contract MUST KEEP
9 Damien Fitzpatrick - off contract if the medicos don't give Damien a clean bill of health later this year it's goodbye
10 Bernard Foley - off contract I imagine Foley's the sort of player Cheika would like to mould into something decent
11 Grayson Hart - off contract when you get the chance, Grayson, perform or else
12 Michael Hodge - contracted
13 Michael Hooper - contracted
14 Rob Horne - off contract my support for Rob's starting to wane, see Fitzpatrick
15 Sekope Kepu - off contract every Super squad needs a bank of props, keep
16 Tom Kingston - off contract keep, young Tom's going to be a good'n
17 Pat McCutcheon - contracted
18 Brendan McKibbin - off contract probably keep, must improve his passing
19 Drew Mitchell - off contract see Fitzpatrick and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
20 Wycliff Palu - off contract ditto
21 Greg Peterson - off contract this young giant was supposed to be the next Ian Botham, but what's he done?
22 Tatafu Polota-Nau - off contract heart and soul of the Tahs, keep
23 Benn Robinson - off contract props should peak in their late 20s, keep (but improve your fitness, Benn)
24 Paddy Ryan - contracted
25 Jeremy Tilse - off contract probably would've been a better prop with more game time, dunno
26 Lopeti Timani - off contract MUST KEEP
27 Sitaleki Timani - off contract if he wants to go, let him
28 Lachie Turner - off contract see Fitzpatrick and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), probably should keep one of Turner or Mitchell
29 John Ulugia - off contract never let the Tahs down, keep
30 Israel Folau - off contract let's hope he enjoys rugby enough this year to want to stay
31 Mitch Chapman (replacement for the injured Fitzpatrick) - off contract MUST KEEP
EXTENDED PLAYER SQUAD
Jed Holloway - off contract never seen Jed play, dunno
Luke Holmes - off contract ditto
Sam Lane - released see Foley (who do you WANT to play for, Sam?)
Matt Lucas - off contract the bits I've seen of Matt he looks all right, see Lane
Ben Volavola - off contract MUST KEEP

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I expect to lose
Berrick Barnes - All his talk is about leaving
Sitaleki Timani - He will follow the money I reckon and has had no issues moving clubs before
Israel Folau - NRL, unless I see evidence to the contrary he is waiting for a contract
Drew Mitchell - He should maximise his retirement fund, I can't see him hanging on or being fit for the next RWC

Maybe lose
Adam Ashley-Cooper - just a feeling, but depends on relationships ie moving from Sydney
Wycliff Palu - see Mitchell

I expect to turn over
Lachie Turner - could stay, but will he accept a squad role?
Damien Fitzpatrick - doesn't play enough
Rob Horne - If he isn't beating defenders one on one, then ... .... .
Greg Peterson - he needs a big year or bye bye
Grayson Hart- hasn't done enough
Carter - could stay if he doesn't take another contract, wants to stay in Sydney and be a squadie
Tilse - could stay if he doesn't take another contract, wants to stay in Sydney and be a squadie

The rest I expect to stay

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Fp, I'm inclined to agree with you on most of that.

It'd be a shame to see Mitchell go, but I think you're right, fp. Only if he regained full fitness and was close to starting for the Wallabies would there be much reason for him to stick around. Yen-and-euro time.

That said, I think Mitchell is likely to go into broadcasting after he's done so perhaps he'd make choices that facilitate that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That said, I think Mitchell is likely to go into broadcasting after he's done so perhaps he'd make choices that facilitate that.

I agree.

He may decide it's in his interests to stay at the Waratahs and appear on The Rugby Club every couple of weeks if he can arrange that.

I tend to think there is a fair likelihood that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mitchell will end up making very similar decisions.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I tend to think there is a fair likelihood that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mitchell will end up making very similar decisions.

What makes you say that?

tumblr_mdrbazRdlz1rymwrho1_1280.jpg

T

tranquility

MrMouse - I agree with many of those. Those that I disagree with are as follows:

John Ulugia - I'd keep him. He surely can't demand huge dollars and at the start of the season (if Fitzpatrick hadn't got injured again), he would have been third choice hooker and a backup prop. He's still only 27 and as captain of Southern Districts he's got some leadership qualities. Super Rugby squads need people like him.

Jed Holloway - surely he's worth at least another year in the EPS. It would be crazy to sign any EPS player without thinking they've got at least two years to show their worth.

Peter Betham - he is only 24 and had a break out season in the ITM Cup. He could be the winger to replace Mitchell and Turner in the longer term.

Spot on bud, every word of it.

The reality is, by the end of the season the player's will know what they want to do. If Cheika is as good as he appears to be, blokes will want to play for him. He just needs to pick the right cattle, and get the correct squad balance to play his style.

Also if you guys don't want Jed, send him on the next Greyhound to Caxton st.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
John Ulugia...Jed Holloway...Peter Betham...Israel Folau
Yeah, I did have Betham and Folau on the "would like but suspect they'll leave" list - ie reckon they'll likely leave for bigger money or different codes - but fair points on Ulugia and Holloway, too. I guess I put Ulugia in the Tilse boat - but you're right, he's probably not on huge dollars and he's a useful 3rd stringer. The issue is he'd likely be 2nd string again next year and I just don't seem him that way. Re Holloway I'm prepared to concede I was hasty :D

Status
Not open for further replies.