• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Phipps moving north in 2014: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-nsw-nabs-phipps/story-fn8ti7yn-1226592705740

MICHAEL Cheika spoke earlier this week about retention before recruitment, with 80 per cent of his best players off contract, but he has already made a key acquisition for 2014 by luring Wallabies halfback Nick Phipps across the border.

Melbourne Rebels star Phipps agreed to join the Waratahs last Thursday night. There is intriguing background angst to this, with former Wallaby Luke Burgess to join the Rebels next year, returning to Australia after leaving the Tahs at the end of the 2011 season. Phipps is unhappy that the Rebels' interest and negotiations with Burgess weren't fully disclosed. He wanted to stay in Melbourne, telling friends he became a Wallaby with the help of the franchise and felt loyalty to them. But upon discovering that Burgess was on a done deal, Phipps felt burned by some officials at the Rebels.

So, what's going to happen to the McKibbin, Hart or Lucas trio? There's gotta be some incentive to perform this year, or else.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Phipps is a very good signing, it will be nice to have a scrum half with a decent pass!

Richo

John Thornett (49)
He's probably an upgrade on McKibbin but I hope to god he figures out how to pass quickly and accurately by then.

Short-term, Burgo would be a better signing. At least Phipps has a lot of career left ahead of him.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Phipps to the waratahs is the perfect storm of hate for me.

I honestly reckon the bloke would be 3rd choice at the Brumbies or Reds. I'm still not quite over the fact he's a wallaby.

Good luck to him but....

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Between Burgess and Phipps I would definitely prefer Burgess - so the Rebels are up un this one.
To be honest, don't understand why Cheika would want him - step backward for mine - can't believe you wouldn't find a better halfback even in Sydney alone.
Anyway, best of luck.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Between Burgess and Phipps I would definitely prefer Burgess - so the Rebels are up un this one.
To be honest, don't understand why Cheika would want him - step backward for mine - can't believe you wouldn't find a better halfback even in Sydney alone.
Anyway, best of luck.

As a replacement for Hart? Phipps isn't crap

From Crowden's espn
we broke the news in Ruck'n Maul hat Rebels No. 10 Kurtley Beale was eager to return to the Waratahs; now Rebels half-back Nick Phipps has also been earmarked for the Waratahs, while we're now told NSW are looking closely at Mitch Inman.

Tahs will start to look like Syd Uni A's

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Inman?
We already have an over supply of outside backs, and not one that is inferior to Inman.
He is very much a Uni clone. An absolute warrior in the gym,without an ounce of football nous.
We can do much much better.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Inman?
We already have an over supply of outside backs, and not one that is inferior to Inman.
He is very much a Uni clone. An absolute warrior in the gym,without an ounce of football nous.
We can do much much better.

It depends what happens with Horne & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyway, best of luck.

Depends, right now you'd prefer Burgess but Burgess is 28 and Phipps in 24. He's the better long term prospect and can improve. Burgess won't.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Don't think many players could be considered long term options. What makes anyone think Phipps will stay with the Tahs as soon as a better player shows interest. Instead of working hard to stand out at the Rebels he opts to leave. 3 years is a long time in rugby and i'd take Burgess everyday of the week.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bad bad bad bad bad bad call. I would take Burgo over Fanga any day. Haven't seen the appeal in Phipps, but am happy to be proven wrong should he turn out in sky blue next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.