• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Nsw will always lose good players, 60% of pro players in Aus come from Nsw and with only 1 team they can't keep them all. But I strongly believe culture is a very big factor and the desire to work for each other. The brumbies didn't have it with all their stars 2 years ago but see what has happened.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Nsw will always lose good players, 60% of pro players in Aus come from Nsw and with only 1 team they can't keep them all. But I strongly believe culture is a very big factor and the desire to work for each other. The brumbies didn't have it with all their stars 2 years ago but see what has happened.
I agree.
I think maybe the Tahs need to identify the 18 year olds they most want to sign and pass on them and pick the number 2 or 3 players instead.
That might change the culture.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
I actually think the tahs have tried to pick their best young talent but many choose other options because they are more likely to get a run elsewhere. History shows that the tahs have mothballed the youngsters and not given them much of a chance. Looks like This may be changing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I actually think the tahs have tried to pick their best young talent but many choose other options because they are more likely to get a run elsewhere. History shows that the tahs have mothballed the youngsters and not given them much of a chance. Looks like This may be changing.

People say this sort of thing regularly but I rarely think there is much truth to it.

The classic example trotted out is the Tahs missing out on George Smith.

If Phil Waugh hadn't been a year older than Smith, I'm sure Smith would have been a Waratah. Sometimes it is just luck of the draw in terms of timing of when a really talented youngster comes through and who is already there ahead of him.

Another one is Dan Palmer. When he left the Tahs he was rightfully about the fourth choice prop behind some very good props and he was nowhere near as good as he is now. He left for opportunity which he got because he ended up somewhere that didn't have as many good props. Not because he went to a side that favoured youth or anything.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We all knew that Palmer had the ability, but obviously he needed to be in a different environment.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
People say this sort of thing regularly but I rarely think there is much truth to it.

The classic example trotted out is the Tahs missing out on George Smith.

If Phil Waugh hadn't been a year older than Smith, I'm sure Smith would have been a Waratah. Sometimes it is just luck of the draw in terms of timing of when a really talented youngster comes through and who is already there ahead of him.

Another one is Dan Palmer. When he left the Tahs he was rightfully about the fourth choice prop behind some very good props and he was nowhere near as good as he is now. He left for opportunity which he got because he ended up somewhere that didn't have as many good props. Not because he went to a side that favoured youth or anything.

I think this is wrong in that you have to make about 5 changes each year to strive to get better.

To use the Dan Palmer example and a similar one at the Brumbies. I believe the Waratahs should have shown Tilse the door earlier when he has not shown the ability to improve. Maybe Al Baxter was kept around a year to long

Dan Palmer when to the Brumbies on the promise of more game time. He had two Wallaby Props in front of him. Ma'afu is now with the Force.

Scott Sio who some rate and bemoan he is was not kept at the Tah's. He was signed last year as an EPS player and was upgraded last year, last night he ran on for his first start and seventh game. Some rotation works occassionally and he was up against Jannie du Plesis and excelled. When Dan Palmer leaves next year a ready made replacement has been developed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Adam Ashley-Cooper re-signs with Australian rugby

Date
March 21, 2013 - 3:47PM
  • 14 reading now
  • Read later

NSW Waratahs and Wallabies back Adam Ashley-Cooper will stay in Australian rugby for another two years and will be available for the 2015 World Cup in England.
Fairfax Media understands that no deal has been signed yet with the Australian Rugby Union and Waratahs but all parties have agreed to terms with both Wallabies coach Robbie Deans and Waratahs coach Michael Cheika keen to keep the services of the utility back.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/adam-ashleycooper-resigns-with-australian-rugby-20130321-2ghz2.html#ixzz2O9CNMAdO

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hope Robbo, Kane Douglas, and TPN are the next three signed. They're mission critical as far as I'm concerned.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Safe to say Mitchell has been re-signed too?

Contracted:

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Crawford
Dennis
Hodge
Hooper
McCutcheon
Ryan
Kepu

Uncontracted:

Atkins
Barnes
Betham
Carter
Douglas
Fitzpatrick
Foley
Hart
Horne
Kingston
McKibbin
Mitchell
Palu
Peterson
Polota-Nau
Robinson
Tilse
L Timani
S Timani
Turner
Ulugia
Folau
Chapman
Holloway
Holmes
Lucas
Volavola

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think it is important to have a few older heads around when rebuilding as Cheika is, so he is a good signing. Keep the quality in the squad and get rid of the deadwood. I'd agree with Braveheart81 that Robinson, Douglas and TPN are also central to the Tahs progress and need to be the next in line for new contracts.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
i'm surprised AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has resigned. Given his age you'd think chasing the euro dollar would have been closer in his sights.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
i'm surprised AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has resigned. Given his age you'd think chasing the euro dollar would have been closer in his sights.

There were reports in the Irish press that he was in talks with Leinster but they pulled out as they wanted a winger who could cover centre, not visa versa in their squad. After them its hard to see how else needed him and could afford his wages.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) re-signing tells me that a lot of what has been said about Cheika reshaping this squad in his own image is just not going to happen.
I am an AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) fan - mainly because of his first try for the Wobbs: a long time ago I know.
Plenty here are not and implied he would be on his way out under the new regime. Maybe they'll say they dont want him gone just not at 13.
The fact he's been re-signed is inconsistent with a wholesale clean out for 2 reasons: the money must have been up there + its early to be re-signing so there is an implied admission that it will be tough to find talent waiting to help with this reshaping.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) re-signing is good, although I hope they didn't pay too much for him. He's a bloody good player, but has not had memorable games in sky blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.