• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The fact he's been re-signed is inconsistent with a wholesale clean out for 2 reasons: the money must have been up there + its early to be re-signing so there is an implied admission that it will be tough to find talent waiting to help with this reshaping.

This business of a wholesale clean-out is something of straw man. How many have seriously argued that this is what will happen? As someone who has sympathy for Chieka in not having had much personnel input, I have never expected more than 6-10 players to turnover for next year. Playing squads are all about balance and slight shifts -- better accommodating Cheika's approach might be a case of emphasising certain skills over others and that might mean only a few changes in certain positions.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
i'm surprised AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has resigned. Given his age you'd think chasing the euro dollar would have been closer in his sights.

After 77 tests he's probably done pretty well financially out of rugby in Australia.

As the incumbent 13 with not a huge amount of competition breathing down his neck he probably figures he's still got a fair few tests left in him and is a real chance at playing at the 2015 RWC.

After that he'd still have a couple of years to chase Euros/Yen.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The fact he's been re-signed is inconsistent with a wholesale clean out for 2 reasons: the money must have been up there + its early to be re-signing so there is an implied admission that it will be tough to find talent waiting to help with this reshaping.

If Cheika likes what he sees from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in terms of training since he took over (and clearly he's seen him play a lot of rugby over the years), then why not re-sign him.

He is meant to keep the players he wants. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) must be one of them.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Not to mention that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is vice-captain. Presumably Dennis cleared that with the big boss before offering it to him.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Maybe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s form has been a bit hindered by the lack of talent and imagination that is playing inside him.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If Cheika likes what he sees from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in terms of training since he took over (and clearly he's seen him play a lot of rugby over the years), then why not re-sign him.

He is meant to keep the players he wants. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) must be one of them.
I accept that.
I think he's going to have to realise that you dont get to put together a dream team when you have a salary cap and an eligibility requirement.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reality is that there will be contract negotiations underway with the vast majority of the current squad.

Even some of the more expensive players they'll be happy to let go will have negotiations underway because if the price is right, players that were previously seen as expendable will be worth keeping.

A couple of big names re-signing is good to see and gives a vote of confidence to Cheika. Hopefully more follow suit very soon. If key players like what Cheika has brought to the team then hopefully they don't push for every last dollar they can.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The reality is that there will be contract negotiations underway with the vast majority of the current squad.

Even some of the more expensive players they'll be happy to let go will have negotiations underway because if the price is right, players that were previously seen as expendable will be worth keeping.

A couple of big names re-signing is good to see and gives a vote of confidence to Cheika. Hopefully more follow suit very soon. If key players like what Cheika has brought to the team then hopefully they don't push for every last dollar they can.

Who are the "key players"?
The long term problems have made it very difficult to determine.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who are the "key players"?
The long term problems have made it very difficult to determine.

I would say the most important players to re-sign are Robbo, Douglas, TPN.

Next line I would say: Foley, Kingston, Betham, Lucas, Volavola

If the price is right: Mitchell, Horne, Lopeti Timani, Palu, Turner, Barnes, Folau, Chapman (I see all these players as worth keeping if the price is right). I am sure the price won't be right for some of them and they will go.

Wait and see: Atkins, Peterson, Carter, McKibbin, Hart, Fitzpatrick.

EPS for next year I would have: Holloway (already on EPS), David Horwitz, Hugh Roach, Sam Lane (if he returns to rugby and gains confidence), Waldo Wessels.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There were reports in the Irish press that he was in talks with Leinster but they pulled out as they wanted a winger who could cover centre, not visa versa in their squad. After them its hard to see how else needed him and could afford his wages.

Is Mitchell the man they need?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I would say the most important players to re-sign are Robbo, Douglas, TPN.

Next line I would say: Foley, Kingston, Betham, Lucas, Volavola

If the price is right: Mitchell, Horne, Lopeti Timani, Palu, Turner, Barnes, Folau, Chapman (I see all these players as worth keeping if the price is right). I am sure the price won't be right for some of them and they will go.

Wait and see: Atkins, Peterson, Carter, McKibbin, Hart, Fitzpatrick.

EPS for next year I would have: Holloway (already on EPS), David Horwitz, Hugh Roach, Sam Lane (if he returns to rugby and gains confidence), Waldo Wessels.

I'd place L Timani on the must keep category as we need a ready replacement for Palu who I think is probably playing in his last season for the Tahs and if so I wish him all the best. Not too bothered by the rest but would like to see Mitchell stay.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd place L Timani on the must keep category as we need a ready replacement for Palu who I think is probably playing in his last season for the Tahs and if so I wish him all the best. Not too bothered by the rest but would like to see Mitchell stay.

He's not quite there yet for me. This season he really needs to stand up. He needs to become a genuine starting option at Number 8. Currently he is decent as a reserve who can make an impact for 20-30 minutes and make some big tackles and decent carries but also makes lots of mistakes, particularly going too high into contact and turning the ball over.

If he doesn't get there by the end of the season then I'm not sure he's worth throwing too much money at to hang around. Currently McCutcheon looks like a better 8 and he's not a genuine 8 and has only just returned from a year long injury.

I think Lopeti Timani and his physicality is really important but he needs to make that next step.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
if this turns out to be true I will be booking my 2014 membrship now

"The Sydney Cricket Ground Trust "is taking steps to get fans back to the game with a number of innovations, including a new smart phone app that will allow fans to order their food and beverages then have it delivered to their seats." Major stadiums "are taking up the challenge to fill empty seats." Soon at the SCG and Allianz "you will be able to order food and beverages from your seat via your mobile phone." The SCG "has successfully completed trials and the app is almost ready to go." SCG Trust CEO Jamie Barkley said, "It's a game-changing approach to spectator attendance at NRL games. We are about delivering the ultimate fan experience." "

Richo

John Thornett (49)

"The Sydney Cricket Ground Trust "is taking steps to get fans back to the game with a number of innovations, including a new smart phone app that will allow fans to order their food and beverages then have it delivered to their seats." Major stadiums "are taking up the challenge to fill empty seats." Soon at the SCG and Allianz "you will be able to order food and beverages from your seat via your mobile phone." The SCG "has successfully completed trials and the app is almost ready to go." SCG Trust CEO Jamie Barkley said, "It's a game-changing approach to spectator attendance at NRL games. We are about delivering the ultimate fan experience." "

I might even pay more for my membership if this actually works.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Great idea if it works properly. If it doesnt the last thing you want is constantly getting up and down letting the food delivery bloke into your aisle, as someone who sits on the end of a block it could get annoying very quickly.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

They'll need more staff than there are fans at Tahs games.
Hope they count the staff in the crowd figures.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
If it doesnt the last thing you want is constantly getting up and down letting the food delivery bloke into your aisle, as someone who sits on the end of a block it could get annoying very quickly.

That's the thing. How do you get the food and beverages to the purchaser without disturbing other patrons or avoiding the inevitable spillage? Can't imagine fans would be too impressed if someone dropped/spilt their order before it got to them. Even worse if the order lands on a person => who pays for the damage or, worst case, injury?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
American sports arenas have managed to sell food and drinks in the seating areas for decades. I doubt these are insurmountable problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.