• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I cite Bismark Du Plesis, Cobus Grobbelaar, Heinrich Brussow as players who probable dispell that though Enforcer. In Aus if anything, Bismark would have been brought up to play 6 or 8 and the other 2 almost certainly 7.

I would say the example you noted is actually more applicable to NZ really. The number of former club players I have spoken to who were hookers in NZ and became openside flankers when they played club rugby in QLD is quite interesting. Almost all NZ opensides would potentially be 6s or 8s in Australia. I think Matt Todd is possibly the only real exception. Players like McCaw, Cane and Luke Braid, all sitting 185+cm would likely be developed as Jake Shatz type 6/8's. Most NZ opensides tends to be more rounded footballers as opposed to speclised fetchers with an angry streak like we generally have.

You're not wrong mate, I think most forwards with the right conditioning and training over a long period could move around within the pack.

Second row being the exception.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Any updates on the Waratahs in 2014?
Yep! We're favourites to take the crown. Like every other year!

Phil Kearns once said "You can go to the end of time, the last world cup of mankind, and the All Blacks will be favourites for it"

I propose that you can go to the end of time, to the last Super Rugby season of mankind, and the Waratahs will be hyped up to win it.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Probably the right call made by the Tahs and Damien.

All of a sudden the Tahs hooker depth is nil. Only TPN is signed for next year.

You'd think Roach would get a full contract but not sure he is ready as a 2nd string hooker yet. Who else can we look at?

Totally agree with LG. A seasoned second string hooker is paramount. No one has mentioned this bloke yet but Alex Walker from Easts could be an option. Alex is close to 30 years of age and has spent a number of years in England before returning this season. He had involvement with English sides Newcastle Falcons, Saracens and Esher in the Aviva Premiership.

Latu and Roach to fight out for third choice spot.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ben whitaker may be lookung for a new home if the force sign teesman up.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep! We're favourites to take the crown. Like every other year!

Phil Kearns once said "You can go to the end of time, the last world cup of mankind, and the All Blacks will be favourites for it"

I propose that you can go to the end of time, to the last Super Rugby season of mankind, and the Waratahs will be hyped up to win it.

The only people who will do this are the Sydney press, who will try to suck up to their readership. Informed rugby followers (AKA G&GR posters) on the other hand, knowing that there are still some major problems in the squad next year (like injury back-up for 2 and 10 just to mention two areas) will not be proclaiming that we'll win.

The Aussie conference next year will be ferocious, with only the Force not a contender for finals, but they will still be hard to put away. I am confident the Tahs will be top 6 and I hope for top 2, but favourites we are definitely not! If you want a favourite it would be either the Bulls or the Chiefs - the Bulls because the SA conference will have one very weak team or the Chiefs because of their coaching team and quality of squad.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This is not a comment directed at young Roach but a much more general point.

How come a professional dart player with the obligatory minimum of six pints on board can consistently land the dart in an area no bigger than a twenty-cent-piece, while a professional rugby hooker, paid in the region of $200K to $400K principally to throw into the lineout, would struggle to hit the dart board itself more than 50% of the time?

Our hookers are clearly not drinking enough pints before each match/at half time. Hydration, boys!

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The only people who will do this are the Sydney press, who will try to suck up to their readership. Informed rugby followers (AKA G&GR posters) on the other hand, knowing that there are still some major problems in the squad next year (like injury back-up for 2 and 10 just to mention two areas) will not be proclaiming that we'll win.

The Aussie conference next year will be ferocious, with only the Force not a contender for finals, but they will still be hard to put away. I am confident the Tahs will be top 6 and I hope for top 2, but favourites we are definitely not! If you want a favourite it would be either the Bulls or the Chiefs - the Bulls because the SA conference will have one very weak team or the Chiefs because of their coaching team and quality of squad.

I find this interesting and by the way agree on the strength of all the franchises. I find this interesting because when the fifth franchise was bought in people were saying it would water down the remaining franchises because the player depth was not there and we were spreading the talent too thin.

Do people now believe that having five franchises has actually increased the depth of player talent here in Oz?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Or care about the code
Honestly, how many Waratahs boys do you think want to play at the Force under Michael Foley? I'm not saying we shouldn't be spreading talent and growing the game, but surely there is a lot of politics and emotion that goes into it as well.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Honestly, how many Waratahs boys do you think want to play at the Force under Michael Foley? I'm not saying we shouldn't be spreading talent and growing the game, but surely there is a lot of politics and emotion that goes into it as well.

Alternatively, it is pretty clear that B. Foley was willing to play down in Melbourne before the ARU intervention.

Status
Not open for further replies.