• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
(Gr)Humble pie for those who thought Grumbles was talking thru his nose when he wrote that article!

So this IS confirmed?

He is NOT a utility player so don't be too quick. That's why I didn't even consider him. :)

Good player. Was picked for the boks and I always thought he was not test material but a very solid Super rugby player for sure. Big hits and great ball carries as noted by Lee Grant already.

I reckon he should be the best foreign signing the Tahs have had. Definitely not a dud and he won't be required to pass much from the base of the ruck :p

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Is that the dark haired Potgeiter?

Seems like a bit of a dickhead. Put away the tough guy shit and he will be good.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If we are to chase a foreign player for the Tahs, I'd like to see some up and coming lad from a second tier Nation, but none of their stars that spring to mind seem to be in positions where we need supplementation. Shame.

Be nice to have some hard as teak Georgian, Canuck, or Septic turning out for the Tahs.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Is that the dark haired Potgeiter?

Seems like a bit of a dickhead. Put away the tough guy shit and he will be good.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect .

Seems like a guy who plays the game hard. I can't remember him even getting into scuffles or getting carded even. Seems like a very laid back sort of guy. Pity to see him leave the Bulls. He has a bit of a swagger to him with the long hair and all that. Might be what's putting you off?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Great signing. Some more starch was badly needed. We were very thin in the back row last season and would have been again, if (or when) Palu misses 4-5 games.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Looks like he will be going to Japan now, then playing next seasons Super 15 and back to Japan before completing his second year. Although Japanese rugby isn't of the highest standard/intensity it still is improving you'd have to ask what kind of physical state will he be in by the end of his Tahs stint? I hope we won't have to manage his game time too much as this would defeat the purpose of a marquee player.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs have plenty of backrowers next year with Dennis, Palu, Grey, Potgeiter all as decent first stringers at 6/8 and then a supporting cast of Holloway and McCutcheon so barring lots of injuries there should be reasonable depth.

Hopefully Cheika takes account of how much rugby Potgeiter will have played and uses him a bit sparingly.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Odd indeed Irish.

This kind of thing seems to affect players differently. Guys like G Smith seemed fit and fresh enough when he hit Canberra.

Then a guy like Kankowski came back to the Sharks from JP in a bad physical state. Maybe it really depends on the discipline of the individual.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The more I think about this the more I like this signing. And that's not because he comes from the Bulls :)

There have been times where the Tahs back row struggled a little. The good thing about this guy is that he can mix it out wide but he can also bring it in tight and hit the rucks hard. But again let's see how he goes. Marquee players have a bad track record in Sydney, that's for sure.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, if you are going to buy a Bok, you could not do better than picking a big raw boned running backrower who likes running at brick walls. The Tahs need more units who will bend the line.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ABC Radio again reporting that Izzie Folau is close to signing with Tahs and staying in rugby.

I missed how long they are speculating he will be signing for. Bottom line was that he was enjoying his footy and where it was taking him.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
ABC Radio again reporting that Izzie Folau is close to signing with Tahs and staying in rugby.

I missed how long they are speculating he will be signing for. Bottom line was that he was enjoying his footy and where it was taking him.

Reportedly a 2 year contract. Hopefully it is finished up soon.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Maybe its the cynic in me, but will we see the announcement in the days preceding the sale of the 2014 memberships? Given the silence of the RL fraternity on his future its pretty clear to me he is staying with union so perhaps the Tahs and ARU are holding back on the announcement to try and drive up membership sales as far as possible?

Or maybe I am over thinking things, and its time to take off the tinfoil hat and stop blaming the government.

T

TOCC

Maybe its the cynic in me, but will we see the announcement in the days preceding the sale of the 2014 memberships? Given the silence of the RL fraternity on his future its pretty clear to me he is staying with union so perhaps the Tahs and ARU are holding back on the announcement to try and drive up membership sales as far as possible?

Or maybe I am over thinking things, and its time to take off the tinfoil hat and stop blaming the government.

Definitely take the tinfoil hat off

Status
Not open for further replies.