• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Reading the Waratahs Season review blog on the mainm page, and noticed in the outs column that Damien Fitzpatrick is gone, with him and ulugia gone, that would leave a serious hole at hooker, given our no. 1 has a habit of breaking himself. Any ideas on who is in line for a spot there. Is there anyone knocking the door down at SS level, or is there someone interstate worth chasing.

IIRC the hooker for the schoolboys last year or the one prior went ok, and could also kick goals. 2 birds one stone?

The other one of interest next year is the locks department. Timani.gone, atkins...gone, chapman...old, leaves us with Skelton, Holloway and Douglas. That is a fairl bit light on i would have thought. Same question as above, who is looking at a spot as possibly cover o even an EPS spot?

The other one i picked up is our centres are looking seriously thin. I cna only think of Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the entire squad. I know lance is coming but i seem to remember him being floated as a fullback? Is it likely they want to convert some of our many outside backs? or is there someone up and coming to take hold?

Interesting times ahead!!

Kerran Straker, the Penrith Emus captain is a hooker and is going on the Argentina tour so presumably he is in the mix.

Hugh Roach is the bloke from the Australian U20s team who can kick goals that you're talking about. Most people are pretty hopeful he will be part of the squad next year although he has had some links with the Force (he played for them against the B&I Lions). He is a Sydney boy though and played with the Sydney Academy team this year so has been training in and around the Waratahs squad.

Is Atkins gone? I don't know if he's been re-signed yet but I hadn't heard he's gone.

Chapman is old but I imagine he'll still be part of the matchday 23 most weeks. He was pretty good this year.

Adam Coleman is a young lock who played a game or two this year and did pretty well. I imagine he'll have a spot next year.

In regards to centres, Michael Hodge didn't play at all this year as he was either outside the matchday 22 and then injured. He is still contracted for next year so I imagine he might have a part to play.

I think Lance is the most likely player to be Horne's backup at 12. Elijah Niko and Terrence Hepetema have both trained/played with the squad at various points this year and I'd imagine will be under consideration for an EPS spot.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
Cheika said on the ruggamatrix podcast that there were a number of players unavailable for the Argie trip who were staying and playing in the SS

He said there were at least 5 Eps spots and one full spot up for grabs & it could even be an import, but not an Argie

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
If there are 5 EPS spots open, then what does that mean for the existing 5 EPS palyers?
Lucas - upgraded? But they have McK and Phipps. Is a second year in EPS realistic?
Holmes - upgraded or released? Virtually no game time in 2013, Fitzpatrick gone, Streaker and Latu in Argentina, Roach in great form for Woodies. Holmes appears to be at risk but is in Argentina and will likely lead off as TPN is not there.
Holloway - Upgraded surely? Relplacement for L. Timamni has played some time in 2013 and is in Argentina
Skelton - upgraded surely? Replacement for S Timani. Has played well, was v good against Lions and is in Argentina
Volavola - Upgraded? With Beale and Foley you have 2 x 10/15's which is Ben's cover as well. May stuggle? Is a quality player so hopefully will get loyalty from Cheika.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It will be Volavola or Lance on the bench. Both cover 10/15, with Lance also covering 12, with also 13 at a pinch, too. I think that Lance and Volavola will be in direct competition for the inside back / fullback bench spot.

The other spot will be an outside back / wing, like Betham (if the other wings are Folau / Crawford).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm not sure that Hugh Roach is the goal kicking hooker from Aust Schoolboys that Buster was referring to.

I think it was a reference to Tom Wilson (Ex Barker 2012) who is at Uni Colts ATM.

Flanking Eagle

Bob McCowan (2)
IIRC the hooker for the schoolboys last year or the one prior went ok, and could also kick goals. 2 birds one stone?

I think you're referring to Tom Wilson. Playing for Sydney Uni Colts now after coming out of Barker last year. Super level might be a big step up yet, but he's a very handy player. A hooker that can kick is an unusual combo!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Based on Cheika's comment about there being at least 1 squad spot available for 2014 plus 5 EPS, what can we make of that out of the players that are still unknown in terms of their 2014 contracts.

Definitely contracted:
1. Robinson
2. Kepu
3. Ryan
4. TPN
5. Douglas
6. Dennis
7. Hooper
8. Grey
9. McCutcheon
10. Phipps
11. Foley
12. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
13. Horne
14. Betham
15. Crawford
16. Hodge
17. Lance
18. McKibbin
19. Palu

Probably renewed/upgraded
20. Lucas
21. Holloway
22. Atkins
23. Holmes
24. Chapman
25. Folau
26. Volavola
27. Tilse
28. Skelton
29. Turner?
30. Beale?

So if they are expecting Beale to sign then one other player needs to either be released or not upgraded from the EPS to match what Cheika was saying.

I have left off Greg Peterson as although there has been no news about him leaving I'd be highly surprised if he was retained.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm not sure that Hugh Roach is the goal kicking hooker from Aust Schoolboys that Buster was referring to.

I think it was a reference to Tom Wilson (Ex Barker 2012) who is at Uni Colts ATM.

Yeah, that was Tom - a very good hooker and kicker with a high work rate. Some short guys like Tom don't put a lot of weight on after school but if he can, he has all the attributes to be a pro player - but that would be a bit more down the track.

If folks are looking at a young hooker for the Tahs' EPS I have a high regard for 20 y.o. Tolu Latu of Sydney University, who played for the Oz Under 20 team in 2012 and 2013 as a LHP, but is listed as a hooker also.

He is mobile, tough and is 110 kgs now; he trained with the Tahs at the beginning of 2013 and looks the goods.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah, that was Tom - a very good hooker and kicker with a high work rate. Some short guys like Tom don't put a lot of weight on after school but if he can, he has all the attributes to be a pro player - but that would be a bit more down the track.

If folks are looking at a young hooker for the Tahs' EPS I have a high regard for 20 y.o. Tolu Latu of Sydney University, who played for the Oz Under 20 team in 2012 and 2013 as a LHP, but is listed as a hooker also.

He is mobile, tough and is 110 kgs now; he trained with the Tahs at the beginning of 2013 and looks the goods.
Could any of the other Uni boys fill the lock vacancy? You have Aus Under 20s Rep Sam Jeffries who is a big unit and also the goal kicking Byron Hodge who are thereabouts.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
NSW Waratahs coach Michael Cheika looking for player in the mould of Rabbitohs' Burgess brothers

NSW WARATAHS coach Michael Cheika is on the hunt for rugby's version of a Burgess brother to bolster his pack for next season.
Rugby has pinched numerous backs from league over the years, but Cheika is now casting an eye over their forwards.
Sam, Luke, George and Tom Burgess are South Sydney's ferocious foursome and Cheika is after a front-rower just like one of them.
"I'm looking for a player with a bit more edge, maybe rugby's version of one of the Burgess brothers," Cheika said at the unveiling of Volvo as the Waratahs' new sponsor on Monday.
Cheika is clear about the type of players he's on the lookout for. In addition to a "Burgess", he's also after a talented lock.
"I think we also need a young, dynamic, ball-running lock who can create play as well as be a bit hard," he said.
Cheika wants to find a player who can replicate the impact of Sam Burgess.
"That's probably a better spot for a younger player. They're the two profiles I'm looking for at the moment, to go with the profiles we already have." ............................................................................................................................................................................ .....................................
http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...burgess-brothers/story-fndpu1x3-1226688381630

So a dynamic ball running forward for the EPS and a lock are on the shopping list

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A guessing game, from Growden's gossip column
New South Wales Waratahs are again looking towards South Africa for a marquee player next season. The signing of Sarel Pretorius from the Cheetahs a few years ago wasn't exactly a resounding success, as the scrum-half eventually lost his starting spot, and was even embarrassingly criticised by some members of the Waratahs coaching staff for his passing. But the new coaching regime is now looking at bolstering its stocks up front by luring a Bulls utility forward to bolster their back-row and second-row strengths next season. Let's just say he appeared against the Brumbies in the Super Rugby semi-final at Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria. More will be revealed when the Waratahs return from their two-match tour of Argentina.
and here are the options
Bulls: 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Mornè Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Dewald Potgieter (c), 7 Jacques Potgieter, 6 Deon Stegmann, 5 Grant Hattingh, 4 Flip van der Merwe, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Dean Greyling.
Replacements: 16 Callie Visagie, 17 Frik Kirsten, 18 Mornè Mellett, 19 Paul Willemse , 20 Jono Ross, 21 Jano Vermaak, 22 Jürgen Visser.

Cyril Towers (30)
Based on Cheika's comment about there being at least 1 squad spot available for 2014 plus 5 EPS, what can we make of that out of the players that are still unknown in terms of their 2014 contracts.

Definitely contracted:
1. Robinson
2. Kepu
3. Ryan
4. TPN
5. Douglas
6. Dennis
7. Hooper
8. Grey
9. McCutcheon
10. Phipps
11. Foley
12. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
13. Horne
14. Betham
15. Crawford
16. Hodge
17. Lance
18. McKibbin
19. Palu

Probably renewed/upgraded
20. Lucas
21. Holloway
22. Atkins
23. Holmes
24. Chapman
25. Folau
26. Volavola
27. Tilse
28. Skelton
29. Turner?
30. Beale?

So if they are expecting Beale to sign then one other player needs to either be released or not upgraded from the EPS to match what Cheika was saying.

I have left off Greg Peterson as although there has been no news about him leaving I'd be highly surprised if he was retained.
Atkins is off to Edinburgh on a 2 year contract (I think he is eligible for Scotland) and I'm pretty sure Chapman is not back next year.

Cyril Towers (30)

I think Cheika likes the look of Tolu Latu as well. Pretty sure he will be in the set up next year.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Atkins is off to Edinburgh on a 2 year contract (I think he is eligible for Scotland) and I'm pretty sure Chapman is not back next year.
Yeah Atkins is qualified to play for us, he also played in Scotland for my old club Edinburgh Accies a few years back I think.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Great minds think alike Lee said the same thing a while ago (post 921, page 47)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Could any of the other Uni boys fill the lock vacancy? You have Aus Under 20s Rep Sam Jeffries who is a big unit and also the goal kicking Byron Hodge who are thereabouts.

The first young bloke I would look at is not a Uni guy but 21 y.o. Adam Coleman, who got 10 minutes from the bench against the Force. Others mention him a lot too.

At 204cms and 122 kgs, he has a physical presence and from the little I have seen of him, it looks like he uses it. Apparently he is a good technician in the lineout also – apart from just being tall.

Adam hails from Tassie and played for them as recently as in the U/18s; he has also been in the National Academy and the Brumbies Academy or whatever they call it.

He also has good rugby bloodlines as he is related to Rodney Blake and Ben Afeaki. He is eligible for Tonga.

I thought he would be chosen for the Argentina trip, and Cheika told him that he was under consideration, but he wasn't included.

Maybe he was needed by the Two Blues or maybe he is not as good as we think he is – otherwise the Brumbies would have kept hold of him. Or maybe they have - or maybe some other Super team has nabbed him for an EPS spot.

Maybe blues recovery can give us some more info on the lad.

As for a mature second rower ready to start if there is one injury - who do people fancy?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
A guessing game, from Growden's gossip column

and here are the options

Bulls: 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Mornè Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Dewald Potgieter (c), 7 Jacques Potgieter, 6 Deon Stegmann, 5 Grant Hattingh, 4 Flip van der Merwe, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Dean Greyling.
Replacements: 16 Callie Visagie, 17 Frik Kirsten, 18 Mornè Mellett, 19 Paul Willemse , 20 Jono Ross, 21 Jano Vermaak, 22 Jürgen Visser.

So it's a utility forward. Why? Replace Timani?

Both Potgieters signed in Japan so not them.

Stegmann (openside) and Flip (lock) are not utility players, nor are Mellet (prop) or Willemse (lock).

So that leaves Hattingh (lock, 7 or 8) and Ross (7 or 8)

Hattingh is the replacement for Juandre Kruger and he has been talked up in Bulls country for some time. Very athletic, skilled player. Much like a young Matfield was. Hard to see the Bulls let him go but maybe he wants to move overseas?

I know nothing about Ross.

Anyway, the Waratahs have a disastrous history with Saffers. Third time lucky? I'd say rather let the idea go but Hattingh would be a very good player to sign and he is only 22.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I'm going for Flip. Because it is such a great name.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.