• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
STOP THE PRESS

ABC Radio are reporting tonight that Folau has signed with the Tahs.

Can't see this confirmed anywhere else yet.

Surprises me that they would announce it on a Saturday Night.

You heard it here first - well sort of...

Best sporting news for NSW since the I's and II's lined up against each other in the Schoolboys Championships Grand Final.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Daily Telegraph is also reporting "it is understood":

THE NRL can forget about luring back Israel Folau after the superstar agreed to terms with the Waratahs.

Folau is understood to have extended his tenure at NSW by two years, and once the ARU top-up component of his deal is settled it will be publicised.

Folau, who was on Thursday night rubbing shoulders with other football heavies including NRL types at the subscription television ASTRA Awards, will become one of the highest paid rugby players in the country.

It could still take a few weeks to settle the contract but Folau's re-signing is also expected to help the Waratahs secure Kurtley Beale, who was spotted at the club's Moore Park office on Thursday.

It is a time of change at the Tahs.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
"The more things change..." Lee Grant?

Your avatar is a prescient display of Beale's rightful return to his roots. I trust that it will be a positive move for him personally and professionally.

The Tahs' backline for next season should be capable of piling on the points and not just when a team (like the Kings this year) are having an off day. Hopefully, the crowds will respond in returning numbers.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Daily Telegraph is also reporting "it is understood":

THE NRL can forget about luring back Israel Folau after the superstar agreed to terms with the Waratahs.

Folau is understood to have extended his tenure at NSW by two years, and once the ARU top-up component of his deal is settled it will be publicised.

Folau, who was on Thursday night rubbing shoulders with other football heavies including NRL types at the subscription television ASTRA Awards, will become one of the highest paid rugby players in the country.

It could still take a few weeks to settle the contract but Folau's re-signing is also expected to help the Waratahs secure Kurtley Beale, who was spotted at the club's Moore Park office on Thursday.

It is a time of change at the Tahs.
More teasing, I want to see the handshake after the contracts have been signed, til then, nothing exists

Didn't we see the same kind of articles weeks ago?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Good move by the Tahs and Folau. They've force the hand of the ARU to hurry up. If we lose him it's their fault and the backlash will be severe.

They don't want to repeat the Parramatta/NRL fiasco.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Back to the Chieka interview, I also found it interesting that he mentioned before starting the job he expected to be turning over more of the squad than he actually is going to need to.

I think that can be shown in two ways, some of key units who were planning to get out decided that it was worth staying, and some of the fringe weren't as crap as they appeared once the coaching found focus

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Going back to the Argentinean tour, it's good to see some commonsense breaking out and blokes like Barnes and Timani not going. What's the point of taking these departing players on a development tour? TBH, I was surprised they were selected in the first place.

There seems to be plenty of cover in the backs for Barnes, I'd like to see Coleman get Timani's spot, he impressed me in his cameo role against the Force recently. A longer look at him by the Tah coaches while he's working his arse off on a tour can only be good for him. The Tahs (and Oz rugby in general) need good second-rowers right now, any half decent 4 or 5 should be working up a sweat to impress Super coaches.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I wonder if Izzy is waiting to see how he features in Link's TRC plans. He's not blackmailing the ARU in saying pick me or I'll leave he just wants to see if he is a key element in Link's back line. He had Dean's support but Link hasn't really said anything public (nor should he).
I believe Izzy's wants to stay but he doesn't want to sign and then just make 40 man squads but not play for the next 2 years. He has the right to be cautious under a new coaching regime.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I hope to hell that's not the case and I doubt it is. Players with expectations to make the wallaby squad is all that's wrong with Australian rugby.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Folau probably is waiting - for the ARU to offer him a contract, and the ARU are likely waiting for McKenzie to give the go ahead. If the contract is forthcoming, Folau will know he is wanted.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Going back to the Argentinean tour, it's good to see some commonsense breaking out and blokes like Barnes and Timani not going. What's the point of taking these departing players on a development tour? TBH, I was surprised they were selected in the first place.

./...snip.../..

It was a fair point that I think it was Gibbo made a page or two back that veteran tourists add value in a squad by mere virtue of their presence.

There is an awful lot of development that occurs off the park and in the hotels, and that is where the seasoned tourists can teach the young ones how to behave, and reinforce what the Coach and Manager are saying through their behaviours and attitudes, and internal policing of team standards and protocols.

Never underestimate the power and influence of the back seat of the bus.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep, sometimes having a negative role model about can be used for positive role modeling purposes. Bloody difficult thing to manage, and best if they are kept at total arms length, because it can get out of hand very quickly.

Rugby history is full of stories about when the lunatics have taken over the asylum and things have turned toxic.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
Has there been any further talk about the Super 15 academies? Is this something likely to get up, or is it all paper talk from the boffins behind the desk to assure everyone they are getting paid to do something?

If it is likely we will have the academy next year, assuming the academy and main squad will operate as a squad of 25 for the main squad and a 20 man academy, is anyone game enough (or have the time) to try and guess who will be filling what spots, outside of those already contracted?

T

TOCC

Well the national talent squad has been disbanded, I don't think the funding has been returned to the teams just yet, it will all come out as part of the super B competition I imagine

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Has there been any further talk about the Super 15 academies? Is this something likely to get up, or is it all paper talk from the boffins behind the desk to assure everyone they are getting paid to do something?

If it is likely we will have the academy next year, assuming the academy and main squad will operate as a squad of 25 for the main squad and a 20 man academy, is anyone game enough (or have the time) to try and guess who will be filling what spots, outside of those already contracted?

Welcome to the site Buster.

All the mumbling says the teams already have academies, now they're just waiting to buy up everyone who comes out of the ARU academy.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting to hear all of that. Given the whole salary cap (or lack there of, if you are the mighty Tahs) i would have assumed the academy would have been a match payment if that, but the extended squad guys would be playing to get a shot at impressing for next season, not paying for cash.

The "Academy" this year worked in a similar fashion i understand and looks to have unearthed some talent in the form of Skelton and the young Randwick Flyhalf and centre.

I get really p****d off with how a bunch of morons in an office can make such a simple structure that could be hugely beneficial so damn difficult. I wonder if Mr Pulver has the melons to put the foot down and make it happen his way.

If a decent Academy team of the next best guys behind the starting 23, made up of the other squad guys, quality SS players right on the edge and some rising stars fresh from school, i would go to the footy 2 hours early to get a double dose of quality rugby! Then again i could just be a bit of a tragico_O

Status
Not open for further replies.