• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
Tolu Latu said his family came to Oz when he was 2; <snip>

Pretty sure that Tolu was part of the Canterbury JRU/Southern Districts Age group rep team that was very successful in the Juniors Comps and at State Champs as that cohort developed.

That Hobbits Rep team also included Waldo Wessels and Apo Latinopulu as well IIRC.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Beale is just as good as McKibbon when it comes to goalkicking, and Foley is showing good progress. I don't think you're in that much trouble on the goalkicking front.

T

TOCC

So Tolu Latu played in the centres until he started at Uni, whats his technical ability in the scrum and line-out like? He has only been playing in the front row for 2 years, surely it can't be that good...

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
In this thread and spilt over to the Rebels 2014, there seems an uber love for David Horwitz. He failed to make the Aus 20 behind a WA boy and North Coast now in Bris. Is he a once in generation player or is there something to with hording of the talent.

I thought NSW are stacked at Fly Half

QLD were better for when the Force did their initial raid only 1-2 were missed in QLD.

Isn't talent like a bus the next set of schoolboy talent will be through in 12 months

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
In this thread and spilt over to the Rebels 2014, there seems an uber love for David Horwitz. He failed to make the Aus 20 behind a WA boy and North Coast now in Bris. Is he a once in generation player or is there something to with hording of the talent.

People didn't mention Horwitz because he was one in a generation player: he wasn't.

There were comments about him because he was very good for an 18 y.o. and was already starting first grade for Randwick this year—and he held his place to the end of the season.

The other two were picked ahead of him for U/20s but he was the youngest—and, not quite to the point, but the ones that went to France did not shine.

Horwitz performed well in two Sydney Academy games and also had a good cameo for the Waratahs on the Argentina tour.

His strength is in the run, especially his side step.

Although he has had success at passing the ball long for outside runners to score, he needs to work on his bread and butter passing, because some of them are not sympathetic.

He also needs to improve his exit kicking and goal kicking.

It's OK if you're Steve Larkham and aren't a goal kicker but a young flyhalf starting out needs to have "also a goal-kicker" on his CV.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have been impressed with the little that I have seen of Horwitz, he seems to have plenty of poise, I was surprised to learn how young he is.

Totally agree about the goal kicking aspect. Presuming that every 10 should be a great kick out of hand (take note, Foley lovers), then surely that skill should translate to kicking from the spot as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have been impressed with the little that I have seen of Horwitz, he seems to have plenty of poise, I was surprised to learn how young he is.

Totally agree about the goal kicking aspect. Presuming that every 10 should be a great kick out of hand (take note, Foley lovers), then surely that skill should translate to kicking from the spot as well.

Think with the use of the new antler tee, there won't be any excuse for any player, 10 or not, not to be able kick from the spot.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Antler is an impressive bit of kit when I saw the segment on Rugby HQ last Thursday night.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more fatties lining up to fancy themselves as the Goal Kicker for the team.

It looks real simple. It will be interesting to see the sorts of difference it makes once deployed in matches.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
All aspiring 10s and 15s should learn to kick the bloody ball. Both feet. All kinds of kicks.

Yes, we love to run the ball. But until, and unless, our forwards dominate the planet, nay, the universe, we need players who can KICK THE BLOODY BALL!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.