• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm not sure that this snout actually knows the names, just that the list is bloody near done.

If they do have the names, they are not telling me them. They are positioned such that if they know the names, then plenty of others should also know them.

I am trying an alternate source to confirm.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He seems OK, but so does Saifolo, Debreczeni and Stefano Hunt
<snip>
Just read a post on Rebels 2014 that seems to claim Jack Debreczeni in their EPS.

There were reports of the Rebs originally chasing Horwitz IIRC. This suggests they may have given up on him when Chieka took him to Argentina on the development tour and sent a big hands off my boy message to them.

Are EPS boys required to stay interstate and bolster local competitions under the Pulverisation of Rugby? If so, Jack will be a loss to the Pirates.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I think we need to find a big backup to Cliffy. The one thing Australian rugby is missing is the big F@#! Off enforcer type. Is there anyone in the SS at the moment who has that wrecking ball feel to them? Or could we look at developing Willie S running game and turning him into the human battering ram?

There was a guy called Lopeti Timani...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The one thing Australian rugby is missing is the big F@#! Off enforcer type.

I'm right here.

Seriously though, they don't grow on trees. I mean there's plenty of them around, but you've got to bring more to the table than 3 big hits a game in modern rugby union. You've got to hit rucks, be a secondary line-out option etc. Even Cliffy hasn't been a "Cliffy" since 2008, his game is much more subtle now. His clear out work and positional play are excellent and his carrying is consistent but not flashy.

Most of the 3 big contacts a game guys are playing prop in league. They're fun to watch but you'll never see them dominating in union at test level.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just read a post on Rebels 2014 that seems to claim Jack Debreczeni in their EPS.

There were reports of the Rebs originally chasing Horwitz IIRC. This suggests they may have given up on him when Chieka took him to Argentina on the development tour and sent a big hands off my boy message to them.

Are EPS boys required to stay interstate and bolster local competitions under the Pulverisation of Rugby? If so, Jack will be a loss to the Pirates.

If the Rebels sign Horwitz, it will be to their main squad, not EPS. There's no reason that Horwitz would take a Rebels EPS spot over a Tahs EPS spot.

The announcement of the Rebels' EPS squad says nothing about where Horwitz will end up, as of yet. We will need to wait for the announcement of the Tahs EPS or finalisation of the Rebels squad.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There was a guy called Lopeti Timani.

Yeah, I found it really interesting that he was found wanting by Cheika.

Cheika noticed Gray playing for Biarritz while he was coaching French club Stade Francais last year.
"Tala took an interesting step which a lot of young blokes don't do these days and went to Europe early," Cheika said.
"I saw him play for Biarritz and he looked like he had a bit of edge. He is a good, hard worker. He has good potential.
"He is by no means a finished product, but I like workers. He's had a great experience playing in the French Top 14. That's a hard competition.
"He is still very young so he can build a Super Rugby career out of what he has learnt already."
- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y-e6frg7o6-1226641492824#sthash.wWsFECmD.dpuf

I think that is the interesting point from Cheika that may highlight the difference

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
If the Rebels sign Horwitz, it will be to their main squad, not EPS. There's no reason that Horwitz would take a Rebels EPS spot over a Tahs EPS spot.

The announcement of the Rebels' EPS squad says nothing about where Horwitz will end up, as of yet. We will need to wait for the announcement of the Tahs EPS or finalisation of the Rebels squad.
I bet Horwitz is with the Tahs in 2014.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Rising young playmaker David Horwitz has decided to stay at NSW Waratahs next year after initially indicating he would join Melbourne Rebels.
Horwitz wants to repay the faith of NSW coach Michael Cheika, who took him on the tour of Argentina last month, and he also had second thoughts about leaving his family in Sydney.
Horwitz will be one of the Tahs’ five Extended Playing Squad members.
The Rebels sensed Horwitz was getting cold feet last week and moved to sign exciting Australian under-20s star Jack Debrezceni to their EPS squad instead. Debreczeni had been approached by AFL club Essendon but chose to remain in rugby, which is a big coup for the code.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...w-is-coming-back/story-fni2fxyf-1226727825719

Telegrapgh reporting that Horwitz has signed for the Tahs. Good news if true.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think we need to find a big backup to Cliffy. The one thing Australian rugby is missing is the big F@#! Off enforcer type. Is there anyone in the SS at the moment who has that wrecking ball feel to them? Or could we look at developing Willie S running game and turning him into the human battering ram?

I think that big Willie S's running game is in pretty good nick, his cameo against the Reds at ANZ was outstanding powerful runs and soft hands almost combined to drag us over the line. He just needs a hard pre season so he can turn 30 minute cameos into 60 minute performances.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
I think that big Willie S's running game is in pretty good nick, his cameo against the Reds at ANZ was outstanding powerful runs and soft hands almost combined to drag us over the line. He just needs a hard pre season so he can turn 30 minute cameos into 60 minute performances.

This is what i'm after. Am very keen on seeing a big man barrelling the ball up in loose play at about phase 7, with a very tired prop lumbering in the mid filed. This excites me!

On the signing of Horwitz...... WELL F@#$!G DONE! About time someone at the tahs was lining their ducks up. He is a cracking long term prospect for the Tahs, well done to the coaching and player management teams on locking this one up. Now someone get hold of Roach and i will be a very happy man!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

He needs someone to start revving him up alongside that hard pre-season. We all know he has the size and the hands. What he needs is a bit more toe going into contact and to find that inner level of aggression needed to be a hard man. I'm not talking niggle, but that internal hate that makes you want to trampling over anyone who dares oppose you.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
What he needs is a bit more toe going into contact and to find that inner level of aggression needed to be a hard man.

Having watched Will Skelton's accelerating development since he started playing Colts while still at school and the fact that he is just 21, I don't think he is deficient in terms of "level of aggression", inner or outer. Anyone who experienced his back-slam tackle this season would probably not have wanted him to show any more aggro.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm right here.

Seriously though, they don't grow on trees. I mean there's plenty of them around, but you've got to bring more to the table than 3 big hits a game in modern rugby union. You've got to hit rucks, be a secondary line-out option etc. Even Cliffy hasn't been a "Cliffy" since 2008, his game is much more subtle now. His clear out work and positional play are excellent and his carrying is consistent but not flashy.

Most of the 3 big contacts a game guys are playing prop in league. They're fun to watch but you'll never see them dominating in union at test level.

The ony bloke in Australian I know of who ACTUALLY (IE isn't just supposed to be, he actually DOES it) fits the description of a wrecking ball who skittles people when he runs without being stopped dead, is Ita Vaea. He's good for much more than 3 big hits a game too.

Unfortunately, he's been on blood thinners all year after a clot, so whether or not he makes it back into rugby is anyone's guess. I've been trying to find the Brumbies 2012 match against the Sharks in Canberra, because he played 35mins in that game and must have had nearly 20 hit ups, all of which were runnign straight over 1-2 players and soaking up more. It's the best example of what I think of someone actually fitting the "wrecking ball" tag.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Having watched Will Skelton's accelerating development since he started playing Colts while still at school and the fact that he is just 21, I don't think he is deficient in terms of "level of aggression", inner or outer. Anyone who experienced his back-slam tackle this season would probably not have wanted him to show any more aggro.

Perhaps that will translate more as he mature physically.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Can anyone recommend a game that he played for the Tahs this year, where he got some reasonable gametime? I want to see what all the hype is and have a proper look at him, instead of just saying 'but he's huuuuuuuge, he MUST be the solution to all our problems, just look at him"

Status
Not open for further replies.