• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
@p.Tah - remarkably like my story, though better told.

And you missed the bits where I was showering nearby spectators with witty banter and Kiwi accents ;) In between roaring my fat arse off.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Great turnout today at Martin Place. Shame I couldn't get there but some dudes with sledgehammers were smashing all my furniture.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Great turnout today at Martin Place. Shame I couldn't get there but some dudes with sledgehammers were smashing all my furniture.

Not sure if it was the 5k reported in the press but it was more of a turnout than I expected. Some of the lads looked very ropey, not sure if Hooper has slept much since Saturday.

Although that coukd just be his laid back way deceiving me

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not sure if it was the 5k reported in the press but it was more of a turnout than I expected. Some of the lads looked very ropey, not sure if Hooper has slept much since Saturday.

Although that coukd just be his laid back way deceiving me

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Probably tired from skating in from the Northern Beaches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just to prove what a bloody good bloke he is, Stephen Hoiles just responded directly to my tweet, thanking me for my post-game enthusiasm. Looks like he's going through and answering a heap of them.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just to prove what a bloody good bloke he is, Stephen Hoiles just responded directly to my tweet, thanking me for my post-game enthusiasm. Looks like he's going through and answering a heap of them.

He's angling for that unpaid intern job for when he finally retires! ;)

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I have a confession to make.......

Well put, but I had a very different experience. I was in the stadium members section. it was a weird mix of old rich people, their bratty teenage kids, and hardcore league fans getting into rugby. But it was a quiet bunch, other than the 2 cashed up bogan league guys behind me, and me. All game we were trying to hype up the crowd, but as we got into the last 10 minutes every play had me holding my breath, to the point that I couldn't cheer. I was trying to keep the NSW going, but nothing came out. When Fanga made that half break up the touch line on his own I actually squeaked.

But strangely even when the Saders kicked their last penalty I knew it wasn't over. We had been stealing meters all night - making gains up the middle and out wide whenever we ran at them. I knew we would get it back into their half if we held the ball and supported well, and surely the Saders would give us a penalty. They had given away a penalty on every occasion we advanced over the halfway line (although they were able to keep their discipline between 30m out and the tryline, somehow).

I couldn't watch the kick, but I couldn't not watch it. I knew it had the legs as soon as he struck it, but it took the touchies an age to raise their flags. I thought it was wide.

But contrary to your description @p.tah, the next 3 phases felt like they took 5 minutes. Slade took the kickoff really quickly, but too deep. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) took it uncontested, even though he wasn't properly set up. A hit up (with possibly every forward joining the ruck!) and the set up another hit up (palu?) as the players rush to support him. Then McKibbin holds the ball at the back waving for more forwards to get back up and set up another phase. The player is tackled, the ruck os swarmed by blue and red players, but it stays on our side. No-one around me has sat down since the penalty was taken. Everyone is screaming, and I I strain to hear the siren. McKibbin is motioning to foley who is standing waaaaaaay back. But he kicks it out himself.

My wife cries; tells me this ranks somewhere between our wedding and the birth of our kids. I high five strangers. I was sitting on half way in front of the coaches box, and if cheika had come down my side of the aisle I would have jumped him. e was already tearing up

after the presentation I am still standing in my seat. I've spoken with a few of the people around me. turns out the little girl sitting in front of me is Nathan Grey's daughter, and he runs up to hug his family. I got to shake his hand and thank him, which was nice. His brother puts on his afterparty wrist band, and I felt slightly jealous, but this is their night, not mine; I shouldn't be involved. On the pitch, there are players who cannot bring themselves to leave. Foley, Betham, KB (Kurtley Beale), and Robbo are walking around like dazed zombies, lost in their own thoughts, silver steins full of magners still in their hands. I stay until the last player has left the field.

the world keeps turning, but these nights, those moments are what keep us going, and what we will remember.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was in the members section too. I dead set thought Foley's kick was short. My uncle next to me thought the same. When the flags went up I lost my shit! Best night of my life. I've been a tahs fan all my life and this win still resonates with me. Holy shit! Such an amazing feeling. God damn I love rugby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
(although they were able to keep their discipline between 30m out and the tryline, somehow).

Standard Crusaders tactic - they will infringe anywhere outside their half at will to stop your momentum, and let advantage expire. Then they'll hit hard again, right up until you're inside kicking range. At that point they back off and hope you'll fuck up or run out of numbers.

But your experience is why I'll never sit in the members. Too much chance of a bunch of pillocks with radios or ref's ears who might as well have started at home.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tahs team for the Limerick Sevens and World Club Sevens in London over the next two weekends.

http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs...success-continues-with-World-Club-Sevens.aspx

1. Tala Gray (Eastern Suburbs)
2. James Cunningham (Northern Suburbs)
3. Taqele Naiyaravoro (Parramatta)
4. Jack Dempsey (Gordon)
5. Lalakai Foketi (Manly)
6. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
7. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
8. Joel Brooks (West Harbour)
9. Andrew Kellaway (Randwick)
10. David Horwitz (Randwick)
11. Harry Jones (Warringah)
12. Michael Adams (Warringah)

T

Train Without a Station

Has anybody else noticed that the Super Rugby teams seem to be getting involved in a lot more of these junket type tour than they had for a few years?

Last year it was the World Club 7s with the Brumbies, then the 10s this year then this.

Good to see. These are the type of things that separate rugby from other codes so it's good to see the teams moving back to these types of events when they do not conflict with the regular season.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mainly because they couldn't include any from the Shute Shield finals.

Would've seen Pakalani, Asquith, Volavola, Gibbon, Dargaville, Hodge, Chisholm, Lucas, Swanopoel, Northam who would all be better than the current lot

not exactly an inspiring squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.