• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Carrying on from my earlier observation about the current Tahs squad, we desperately need a coupla proper locks. Dennis (who's doing a superb job in the second row this year) is off to Blighty, Mumm would appear to be on the wane and Lousi and Skelton don't look to be developing beyond their natural abilities. There seems be be a surfeit of such animals at the Reds, Brumbies and Rebels (can't comment about the Force, know bugger all about 'em), is there any chance we could snag one or two of them to move to the emerald city? Could Staniforth be tempted with some time wearing 4 or 5?

Tahs brains trust, we do NOT want anyone resembling Pat O'Connor or Hendrik Roodt for this position.

Mods Edit:
The 2017 Squad list will be updated as more information comes to hand.

Confirmed leaving:
David Dennis (to Exeter Chiefs)
Kurtley Beale (to Wasps, via Team Rehab)
Cameron Orr (development squad) to Gloucester
Benn Robinson (Prop) off contract 2016 to Retired - eye injury
Sam Lousi (Lock) to Hurricanes (NZL)
Zac Guildford (Wing) released early to NZL
Henry Clunies-Ross (supplementary squad) to France, Lyon.

Jeremy Tilse (Prop) to ?
Matt Carraro (Centre) to ?
Wycliff Palu (No 8) to ?

Confirmed for 2017
Prop
Matt Sandell (2016 extended playing squad) to end 2018
Angus Ta’avao (to end 2017)
Sekope Kepu (to end 2019) (back from Europe)
Paddy Ryan (to end ?)

Hooker
Tolu Latu (to end 2018)
Damian Fitzpatrick (to ?)
Hugh Roach (to end ?)

Lock
Will Skelton (to end 2017)

Loose Forward
Jed Holloway (to end 2019)
Jack Dempsey (to end 2017)
Brad Wilkin (to end 2017)
Michael Hooper (to end 2018)

Halfback
Nick Phipps (to end 2017)
Matt Lucas (to end 2017)

Flyhalf
Bernard Foley (to end 2018 with Japanese off season in 2016)

Centre
Jim Stewart (to end 2017)
Rob Horne (to end 2017)

Back Three
Andrew Kellaway (to end 2018)
Israel Folau (to end 2018)
Reece Robinson (to end 2017)
Taquele Naiyaravoro (released by Edinburgh to end ?)

Off Contract at end 2016
Dean Mumm (Lock)

Unknown Status for 2017
Tatafu Polota-Nau (Hooker)
Ned Hanigan (Loose Forward)
Bryce Hegarty (Flyhalf)
David Horwitz (Flyhalf)
Tom Robertson (extended playing squad)
Jake Gordon (extended playing squad)
Senio Toleafoa (supplementary squad)
Ryan McCauley (supplementary squad)
Andrew Deegan (supplementary squad)
Harry Jones (supplementary squad)

Roster Edited to 22 July 2016

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
If overseas rumours are true. TPN is the next one in line to head abroad. The ARU have made it clear that Moore is the #1 choice and that his leadership will spearhead the Wallabies to another RWC campaign. That decision seems to be playing a big part into the potential exit of TPN.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ you'd have to think all those injuries would be a factor, too, as in "I'm not sure how much longer I can do this, I'd better make what I can while I can".

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Like to see a bit of Toleafoa and Hanigan really, Sam Jeffries from the rebs would make a pretty good lock but I think he's just signed on for another 2 years. Pat Steve Cummins? Hugh Pyle? Dan Vickerman?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Like to see a bit of Toleafoa and Hanigan really, Sam Jeffries from the rebs would make a pretty good lock but I think he's just signed on for another 2 years. Pat Cummins? Hugh Pyle? Dan Vickerman?

anyone from the Shute Shield? or Colts?

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Who stands out at Lock in the Shute Shield.

What about Ryan Macauley, Mat Philip, Tim Buchanan and Randwick are talking up one of their own. As well as Senio and Ned.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Who stands out at Lock in the Shute Shield.

What about Ryan Macauley, Mat Philip, Tim Buchanan and Randwick are talking up one of their own. As well as Senio and Ned.

all good players, McCauley already contracted? would have thought there are enough SS prospects to get bolster the ranks if needed. Mind you, there are a few going - Palu, Dennis, Mumm?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm pretty sure Dean Mumm is contracted for next year.

McCauley has been part of the Gen Blue side and trained with the Tahs. You'd assume he'll get some sort of contract next year.

Presumably Toleafea will also continue with the squad.

It does seem like there will be a spot for another lock though.

With Hanigan and Mumm we have two 6s who can play lock so we should definitely be looking at a pure lock.

Depending on retention and needs in other positions it might be that we have the funds to target an established lock from another team.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'd say Mumm will re-sign but palu and Dennis will go leaving Skelton, Hanigan, Mcauley, Holloway and Toleafoa as locking options (2 of those being lock/backrowers) you'd want an out and out lock to complement those with hard working stock standard play. Hopefully we'll see some in the NRC, maybe Pat Steve Cummins could be a go.

Could probably sound out one of the brumbies big 4. What kind of 2nd rowers are going around at the force?

Robinson and Guildford haven't been too shit-hot so far, Kellaway looks like the goods and we'd do well to keep him progressing. Henry Taefu could probably do well as centre cover for us now Kurtley's career is over.
also how long until we can burn Taavao's contract

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Is alright mate. Steve is contracted for next year though, as are Timani, Jeffries and Cullum. Jones is off to Bordeaux. Alex Toolis may be a go, but the rumours are he's coming our way too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have no idea on their contract situations but I'd be targeting Arnold, Enever or Staniforth from the Brumbies.

Prop is probably another spot where we could use an outside recruit as there must be a reasonable chance Benn Robinson will retire.

I think we're pretty well covered with internal development elsewhere.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I have no idea on their contract situations but I'd be targeting Arnold, Enever or Staniforth from the Brumbies.

Prop is probably another spot where we could use an outside recruit as there must be a reasonable chance Benn Robinson will retire.

I think we're pretty well covered with internal development elsewhere.

Cameron Orr is in the EPS, one would assume Tilse won't go too much longer, Vuni Fifita from Gen Blue looks pretty handy as well. Paul Alo-Emile still has 2 years in France doesn't he? I'm loving the performances of Sef Faagase for the reds, whatever happened to Dashville Kuate(never really cut the mustard?), Tongan Thor?

Edit: also what happened to the big bald tighthead for the rams in 2014 Jed something, he seemed pretty handy at that level at least.

Edit again: Jed Gillespie!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
True story. Maybe we can cover prop internally as well.

I definitely think this year was going to be the worst in terms of transitioning to a better front row. The improvement over the last month or so has been nothing short of amazing and we are going much better than I thought we would.

Orr and Sandell will both hopefully be ready to make Super Rugby debuts next year.

I agree that Vunipola Fifita should move up a spot and take Orr's spot in the development squad, and Orr will take Tom Robertson's EPS spot. It would seem that Sandell needs another year of EPS.

Tom Robertson will clearly get a full contract next year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
JARRYD HAYNE!!!!

Surely he can cover prop for us? After scoffing all those PEDs in the NFL, I mean.

Plus, ask any leaguie: He'd kill it in Yawnion no matter WHERE he played...

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
JARRYD HAYNE!!!!

Surely he can cover prop for us? After scoffing all those PEDs in the NFL, I mean.

Plus, ask any leaguie: He'd kill it in Yawnion no matter WHERE he played.

Walk up start @12. He has step, good pass, can kick, roided-up. Formidable centre pairing with Izzy. Izzy can even speak in native NRL so no communication issues.

He would be a waste at prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.