• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
T

TOCC

How long is short term, how much pre-season will he get at the Tahs?... that's a questionable deal IMO, Skelton if anyone needs a very specified and goal orientated pre-season under direct the gaze of the Waratahs coaching staff

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He is off to play for Saracens, not some dodgy park side, they are one of the best teams in the world playing on an artificial track.

I think he gets this gig because Etzebeth didn't take it up

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37635347

Because of his contract with SA Rugby, Etzebeth, 24, would only have been available on a short-term deal until February, but McCall says the Allianz Park outfit would have been happy with that solution.

"We thought [we could] get ourselves to the end of January and then maybe find another solution, but as I said I don't think that is going to happen," director of rugby McCall added.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Whatever is happening big Will is still a tempting prospect in that tight pod for the WBs. He's a one man maul wrecker, surely its not a big step to ruck smasher?

It would be awesome for him to step up to the plate. Agree with FP, at his age we just keep plugging away at it.

T

TOCC

He is off to play for Saracens, not some dodgy park side, they are one of the best teams in the world playing on an artificial track.

I think he gets this gig because Etzebeth didn't take it up

Pre-season serves its purpose, to train in a controlled environment, it allows trainers to manage and maintain fatigue levels over a prolonged periods whilst improving strength and conditioning.

Match day fitness is critically important, but the variables of actually playing make it hard to maintain fitness and strength let along build on it, tapering leading up to matches and injury management and rehabilitation.

Best team in the world or not, pre-season is where the gains are made

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Will it just work out like Foley? He'll play the off-season, and then be even more cooked then usual?

Or will he learn anything during this time?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On one hand Skelton needs the conditioning focus that is only available in the off-season so in that regard I completely agree with TOCC.

On the other hand, he's transitioning to being a more traditional lock with focus on his set piece skills. That should hopefully improve with more game time.

I tend to think 2017 is going to be a work in progress year for Skelton but hopefully he beds down those core skills and finds the body shape that can work for him going forward.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think its a great idea for a guy who needs a bit more education in working hard, and a new outlook on professional rugby. If he makes a bit of coin doing it, then good for him.

Let's face it guys: we can't compete with overseas money, and we've seen what that has done to South Africa.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If he needs a lesson in working hard,put him on a building site as a brickies labourer.
He's been a pro footballer since he left School.
Time for him to deliver on his promise.
If he needs a season or two in NH to improve his game,fine.
But instead of,not in addition to playing in Oz.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The new home jersey:

waratahs_primary_jersey_2017_p4039_16226_zoom.jpg

waratahs_primary_jersey_2017_p4039_16227_image.jpg

The new away jersey:

waratahs_alternate_jersey_2017_p4040_16242_image.jpg

waratahs_alternate_jersey_2017_p4040_16243_image.jpg

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I really like these more candid interviews with the squad members.

Ta'avao seems like a good egg. My mate who played with him at Norths said he was a legend of a bloke and made an effort to know everyone and tried to really get around the culture (turned up to mad monday despite not knowing everyone there etc).

Anyway, good interview.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
You Reds guys will get a close look at it this year as those red shoulders drive into the rucks the only time we play. Red was chosen so that the blood is not so visible on TV for the squeamish. :)

Agreed. I don't think anyone wants to see the Tahs menstruating.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^I'll bite. You would. Reds Troll alert.

Any truth to the rumour that Brand Bieber Boy O'Connor will be back in Redland in 2017?

If we have to have Drew, then your mob deserves him.
I'd like to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.