• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have heard some inklings of that as well but nothing official. I agree with you that if they could say that was the case it would give them a compelling reason to go ahead with a knockdown and rebuild and help get public support on their side.

Personally I hope they do rebuild the SFS. The facilities need upgrading badly and from everything I have heard the footprint of the stadium isn't big enough to just achieve that with a renovation as there physically isn't enough room for additional changerooms, female toilets, food and beverages and also the concourses are too narrow.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Members Survey went out yesterday afternoon regarding potential venues for next season.

Obviously there is some chance they will still be at the SFS because the government is under pressure to cancel the SFS knockdown and rebuild.

Personally I went with Parramatta Stadium as my preferred option given it will be a brand new rectangular stadium and also has the added benefit of bringing more rugby to Western Sydney.

I also said yes to a regional match (of which I think Newcastle is the best option) and said I would travel for it.

It looked as though SCG was preferred, I selfishly went for North Sydney oval and unleashed my hate of homebush

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
No. Not in the list of choices they gave.

I think the facilities there are way off being up to scratch these days.
It's really well maintained surface.

Such a nice ground and good for watching rugby. Crying shame that ground is under utilised.

Still apparently got the highest goal posts of any ground, in the world /southern hemisphere /Australia /NSW or maybe even Canada Bay. Not sure but holds a record somewhere.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It looked as though SCG was preferred, I selfishly went for North Sydney oval and unleashed my hate of homebush

I too put Homebush as my least favourite venue.

We are about to move so will no longer be living around the corner from the SFS/SCG.

I like North Sydney Oval as a venue but think a brand new Parramatta Stadium would be too good to pass up.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Members Survey went out yesterday afternoon regarding potential venues for next season.

Obviously there is some chance they will still be at the SFS because the government is under pressure to cancel the SFS knockdown and rebuild.

Personally I went with Parramatta Stadium as my preferred option given it will be a brand new rectangular stadium and also has the added benefit of bringing more rugby to Western Sydney.

I also said yes to a regional match (of which I think Newcastle is the best option) and said I would travel for it.

Newcastle is regional - sarcastically LMFAO NSW really does mean Newcastle Sydney Wollongong.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Newcastle is regional - sarcastically LMFAO NSW really does mean Newcastle Sydney Wollongong.

To host a Super Rugby game the options are essentially Newcastle, Wollongong or Gosford.

I don't think any country towns have the necessary facilities.

I think Newcastle would be good. It's an area with a significant amount of rugby and it's still close enough to Sydney that you could expect a significant number of Tahs members to make the trip.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
To host a Super Rugby game the options are essentially Newcastle, Wollongong or Gosford.

I think Newcastle would be good. It's an area with a significant amount of rugby and it's still close enough to Sydney that you could expect a significant number of Tahs members to make the trip.

WIN Stadium in Wollongong, while in NRL central, still has plenty of union happening in the Illawarra comp to garner enough interest (unless we've all been turned off by shoddy Waratahs/Wallabies performances....)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I too put Homebush as my least favourite venue.

We are about to move so will no longer be living around the corner from the SFS/SCG.

I like North Sydney Oval as a venue but think a brand new Parramatta Stadium would be too good to pass up.

I think we could get a good loud crowd and fill North Sydney Oval and make it a Friday night special. (Beers after work, walk up to the ground, one of the soccer teams was doing this for a while)

I would rather see a full smaller joint than an empty new stadium

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
WIN Stadium in Wollongong, while in NRL central, still has plenty of union happening in the Illawarra comp to garner enough interest (unless we've all been turned off by shoddy Waratahs/Wallabies performances..)

Yeah, it's clearly one of the three options.

I guess my thoughts of going North to Newcastle is it's a bit further from Sydney so brings in a greater regional crowd in terms of accessability.

Wollongong is also kind of on the way to Canberra so rugby fans from further south in that direction are closer to Super Rugby than fans in Newcastle.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I think we could get a good loud crowd and fill North Sydney Oval and make it a Friday night special. (Beers after work, walk up to the ground, one of the soccer teams was doing this for a while)

zero parking, got to travel through major city peak hour no matter what direction you come from and the public transport ain't too crash hot ither

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Given the numbers attending Super games in Australia you could take the game to a truly regional stadium.

Don't attempt to bullshit and portray Newcastle or Wollongong or Gosford as being regional, they are the same travel time if not less than Penrith and Campbelltown and the latter are regarded as being in the greater metro area. That is the point of my sarcastic laughter.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

As s Qld-er living in Sydney (short of playing the Reds) that's about that is about the only Waratah game guaranteed to have my attendance. My non-rugby wife would come to that one too. (No we are North Sydney locals.)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
zero parking, got to travel through major city peak hour no matter what direction you come from and the public transport ain't too crash hot ither

How spoilt must you be to consider North Sydney has poor public transport? Geez it's not even 10 min walk from a train station that is literally one out from the city. The walk is not far to the oval, and the environment, especially full is tremendous.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Random question related to the rebuilds....the reason the SFS requires a rebuild is because it has concrete cancer.

It's hard to believe a) there would be all this fuss if the building was genuinely a danger and equally b) if the report existed they would not release it for some reason given the hullabaloo. Still, if it exists it would probably drastically alter my opinion on the matter.

...... and c) there IS concrete cancer seeing the place is only 30 years old. Builders should be sued, or required to repair their work. That is if it's true.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
. and c) there IS concrete cancer seeing the place is only 30 years old. Builders should be sued, or required to repair their work. That is if it's true.
If there was a good structural reason, the Government would have led with that card.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
How spoilt must you be to consider North Sydney has poor public transport? Geez it's not even 10 min walk from a train station that is literally one out from the city. The walk is not far to the oval, and the environment, especially full is tremendous.

Didn’t say anything bad about the oval itself, why are you bringing that into the conversation?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Given the numbers attending Super games in Australia you could take the game to a truly regional stadium.

Don't attempt to bullshit and portray Newcastle or Wollongong or Gosford as being regional, they are the same travel time if not less than Penrith and Campbelltown and the latter are regarded as being in the greater metro area. That is the point of my sarcastic laughter.
I think you'll find that Newcastle is 160km to Sydney, Penrith about 60 and Campbeltown about 60. I travel down from Newcastle regularly and it's at least a 2 hour drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.