• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Actually my point was that the public transport is pretty much second to little.

Haha then why mention the atmosphere very strange

As for the transport, getting there via bus you’re going straight through peak hour city traffic no matter what direction you’re coming from and train is a bloody long trip if you’re coming from the south or west

And I’ll reiterate that parking there is next to non existent, just not a very good combo for a Friday night game in my book that’s all

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Newcastle is absolutely regional. Doesn't have to be inland to be regional. Toowoomba is absolutely a regional large country town in Qld and is only 125 km from Brisbane.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How spoilt must you be to consider North Sydney has poor public transport? Geez it's not even 10 min walk from a train station that is literally one out from the city. The walk is not far to the oval, and the environment, especially full is tremendous.

Hmmmm. Whatever happened to Milsons Point? Lived just across the road from the station in my first year of marriage.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Given the numbers attending Super games in Australia you could take the game to a truly regional stadium.

Don't attempt to bullshit and portray Newcastle or Wollongong or Gosford as being regional, they are the same travel time if not less than Penrith and Campbelltown and the latter are regarded as being in the greater metro area. That is the point of my sarcastic laughter.

Regional NSW is essentially defined as anywhere outside the Sydney basin.

They can take it anywhere and i'd probably make a trip once or twice. Anywhere but Gosford. Never Gosford.

Awful, awful place.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really happy with this outcome. The SFS is the one that badly needs rebuilding as the facilities are terrible and I just can't see them being able to be fixed within the current building.

An excellent new stadium at Moore Park will be great in terms of size for the overwhelming majority of events.

T

TOCC

Can’t agree there, poor accessibility is a bigger issue for crowds at SFS then the quality of the stadium itself.

Yeah yeah I know light rail is getting built, and that will help , but lack of heavy rail will forever limit SFS’s crowd potential.

This decision is one with a strong flavour of the SCG Trust heavyweights throwing around their political influence.

T

TOCC

More broadly, my alternative solution is to not even touch ANZ.. it’s good for another decade without any investment.

What the NSW Govt should have done, is backed Paramatta stadium as the primary rectangular stadium for all of Western Sydney. Should have built it with capacity closer to 35k or 40k. Enough to hold matches like NRL QF’s and SF’s and the occasional test match, with room to upgrade in 10-15years.

Sydney’s primary rectangular stadium should have been built above the Central Station railyards. 70k capacity. A central location straddling a high capacity public transport junction.

SFS should be scrapped, convert the space back to parklands with a boutique 5k-10k stadium.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
More broadly, my alternative solution is to not even touch ANZ.. it’s good for another decade without any investment.

What the NSW Govt should have done, is backed Paramatta stadium as the primary rectangular stadium for all of Western Sydney. Should have built it with capacity closer to 35k or 40k. Enough to hold matches like NRL QF’s and SF’s and the occasional test match, with room to upgrade in 10-15years.

Sydney’s primary rectangular stadium should have been built above the Central Station railyards. 70k capacity. A central location straddling a high capacity public transport junction.

SFS should be scrapped, convert the space back to parklands with a boutique 5k-10k stadium.
Best proposal I have seen yet.

I take it you would have the Tahs play out of Parramatta

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I'm picturing a floating stadium with pads that magically levitate you up to your assigned seat.

T

TOCC

I'm picturing a floating stadium with pads that magically levitate you up to your assigned seat.

It's hardly fantasy, similar projects have been done all across the world, NSW Govt have already called to tender for proposals for developing the airspace above the lines, and QLD Govt has support support to a market lead proposal of developing a new Indoor Stadium above the Roma Street Rail Train Station.

Fact is if you were starting from scratch today, you wouldn't be building a 45'000 stadium where the SFS is currently located, theres so many flaws to the location, mainly accessibility through public transport. The only reason they are building it there is because thats where they old one was, but if you're going to a complete rebuild then all options need to be considered.

centralstationjuly12one.gif

centralstationjuly12two.gif

Proposal for new indoor stadium above Roma Street Station in Brisbane.
BRISBANE-LIVE_MASTERPLAN_SITEPLAN_r-1024x724.jpg

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I think the new Parramatta stadium has the ability to expand it's capacity to 40k if necessary. But I couldn't agree more with the idea of a more centralised stadium. Would be awesome.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Heard rugby world cup needs a 80+ stadium

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.